Why So Many USB Cables?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I went to go order a CSL UMiK 1 yesterday, but they are out of stock until late next week. So, I go to looking a bit closer and noticed that the USB cable that comes with it is NOT very long. I do NOT have a Lap Top. As such, will need to take measurements from my Desktop. That means, I will need a longer USB cable. Will this one suffice:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5440

This USB cable is only $1.95 for the 15' length. Should I look for a better USB cable? This does seem to be just like the one that comes w/the CSL UMiK 1. Am I correct? I am also going to need a longer USB cable for my Behringer UMC22 DAC once I move my desk later today.

The USB cable that came with my DAC looks exactly like the one I linked as well. Will need a 10' for my DAC which is only a $1.46. Once again, will these USB cables suffice OR do I need to look for some better quality USB cables?

I assume when taking measurements w/the CSL UMiK 1/REW that the mic itself will need to be at ear level, no? If so, then how do I attach the UMiK 1 to my tri-pod? Is there a better type of stand/tri-pod that I can buy that would work better w/attaching the UMiK 1 to? If so, please provide a link. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Folks, I went to go order a CSL UMiK 1 yesterday, but they are out of stock until late next week. So, I go to looking a bit closer and notice that the USB cable that comes with it is NOT very long. I do NOT have a Lap Top. As such, will need to take measurements from my Desktop. That means, I will need a longer USB cable. Will this one suffice:

This USB cable is only $1.95 for the 15' length. Should I look for a better USB cable? This does seem to be just like the one that comes w/the CSL UMiK 1. Am I correct? I am also going to need a longer USB cable for my Behringer UMC22 DAC once I move my desk later today.

The USB cable that came with my DAC looks exactly like the one I linked as well. Will need a 10' for my DAC which is only a $1.46. Once again, will these USB cables suffice OR do I need to look for some better quality USB cables?

I assume when taking measurements w/the CSL UMiK 1/REW that the mic itself will need to be at ear level, no? If so, then how do I attach the UMiK 1 to my tri-pod? Is there a better type of stand/tri-pod that I can buy that would work better w/attaching the UMiK 1 to? If so, please provide a link. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
I tend to keep my USB cables to a max length of 15'.

I am not a fan of USB at all, at least not for a signal integrity and a reliable connection standpoint. I have had way too many issues with USB for industrial applications. The only real advantages of USB is that it is ubiquitous, and it can carry power and signal in a single cable. For audio applications, I will choose USB only if I don't have an easy choice for other connection types.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Can I get a MOD to change the WHO to a WHY please? Been using a wireless keyboard, but lately it is not working too well. Have changed out the batteries a lot and still issues. So, I just connected my keyboard that came w/my Dell. It works much better. Hence, the typo. That is, I changed it after posting this thread. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, long USB is not a good idea. I wouldn't go longer than 5-6ft.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's a printer cable. What USB type is the the mic?
It is a CSL UMiK 1. Here is a link:

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

I found a pic the other day for it. Let me try another place:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

This pic is from the miniDSP website. The calbles look the same to me. But, I do have diabetic eyes which means I could easily be wrong. The USB cable to my DAC does look exactly like the one I linked. How long is too long beofre running into signal issues? I may need a USB cable a bit longer than 15' so that I can take measurements from my Desktop.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

This pic is from the miniDSP website. The calbles look the same to me. But, I do have diabetic eyes which means I could easily be wrong. The USB cable to my DAC does look exactly like the one I linked. How long is too long beofre running into signal issues? I may need a USB cable a bit longer than 15' so that I can take measurements from my Desktop.

Cheers,

Phil
If you go over 15ft, you are asking for trouble! Unless you use active cables or hubs (still asking for trouble IMHO).

Also, note that the standard connections are A or B. A is the rectangle and B is the square. The pic of that mic seems to be the A type to me, but it is tough to be certain from that pic.--DISREGARD, SEE FOLLOWUP POST BELOW

http://www.cablesplususa.com/pdf/USB_Cable_Length_Limitations.pdf

From that link:
USB Cable Length Limitations:
The USB
specification limits the length of a cable run to 5 meters (16.4 feet)
for USB 2.0
hi
-
s
peed applications
or 3 meters (9.9 feet)
for USB 1.1 low
-
speed devices.
Essentiall
y, this means that you

re unable to

daisy
-
chain

several USB
extensions
cables together and run them more than 5 meters
You can, however, have a 6 foot cable and a 10 foot extension cable run for
a total of 16 feet
maki
ng the power of USB very limited.
Most USB
cables fall under the
USB 2.0 Hi
-
Speed specification and have the
5 meter limit. Low
-
speed devices ar
e generally keyboards and mice and
have a maximum length of 3 meters.
In order to go beyond these limits you need to use
of t
he following:

USB hubs,

USB active extension cables or

USB over Ethernet products.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If your using REW, typically the only long cable needed is either hdmi or rca to you laptop or pc. The usb cables I use with my microphone are 10' or 6'.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Cheers,

Phil
Hey, I also just noticed, the OEM USB mic comes with a SHIELDED USB cable! Be 100% certain that any longer cable you purchase is also SHIELDED!

EDIT:
This link

Indicates that this is a Connector

miniUSB Connector

To Summarize, it SEEMS to me, I would double check all of this before ordering:
USB cable no longer than 15'
Shielded
USB-A on one end, MiniUSB on the other.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, long USB is not a good idea. I wouldn't go longer than 5-6ft.
I am hoping that I can go a little more than 6'. Getting ready to start moving things around as my other (2) SB12-NSD's will be here tomorrow. Have (2) of them still in the box right now as we speak in my living-room. Thanks John. Will read up on it some more. I do NOT care for USB cables at all!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If your using REW, typically the only long cable needed is either hdmi or rca to you laptop or pc. The usb cables I use with my microphone are 10' or 6'.
My desktop will be no more than 15' from my MLP. I assume measurements are taken at ear height in the MLP. Are you using a UMiK 1? If so, can you provide me a link of what USB cables you are using? That would be a BIG help. Thanks EverettT!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My desktop will be no more than 15' from my MLP. I assume measurements are taken at ear height in the MLP. Are you using a UMiK 1? If so, can you provide me a link of what USB cables you are using? That would be a BIG help. Thanks EverettT!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Should have taken part of the subwoofer budget for a nice laptop :p:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I also just noticed, the OEM USB mic comes with a SHIELDED USB cable! Be 100% certain that any longer cable you purchase is also SHIELDED!

EDIT:
This link

Indicates that this is a Connector

miniUSB Connector

To Summarize, it SEEMS to me, I would double check all of this before ordering:
USB cable no longer than 15'
Shielded
USB-A on one end, MiniUSB on the other.
Yeah, I am sure I would not need any longer than 15'. Will also order a 2nd one 10' for DAC. I use the DAC to connect my JBL 305's that I use for my desktop. The 15' USB cable is needed so that when I take measurements from my MLP. Hope to be doing that soon. Will order a CSL UMiK 1 just as soon as they are back in stock. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Should have taken part of the subwoofer budget for a nice laptop :p:D
No, not at all. Never have liked them. Still don't want one. I could get an Android tablet if need be. Office Depot will have a Lenovo tablet on sale for $100 starting this Sunday. I could also order this mic:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/pmik-1-detail

Not real sure that is a good idea though. Can I use an android tablet like a Lap Top? That is, as far as measurements are concerned. Really don't care much for tablets either. Have owned a few and all that they did was collect dust.....LOL!!!! Perhaps, an android tablet such as the Lenovo would be useful, no?

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
cool, then it uses that same style as a printer. My UMC-200 does also. Those cables usually come in longer lengths, though with my UMC, I used a 10ft and it would not work. Contacted Emotiva and they said to get one 6ft or less and it worked.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
cool, then it uses that same style as a printer. My UMC-200 does also. Those cables usually come in longer lengths, though with my UMC, I used a 10ft and it would not work. Contacted Emotiva and they said to get one 6ft or less and it worked.
John I am afraid that may be the same case w/the CSL UMiK 1. Hope that is NOT the case, but it very well could be. I will look into it a bit further before ordering. The UMiK 1 is not even stock right now. Just hope to be taking measurements very soon. I am sure that will be a lot of fun as well. Maybe not so problematic........LOL!!!! Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Folks, I went to go order a CSL UMiK 1 yesterday, but they are out of stock until late next week. So, I go to looking a bit closer and noticed that the USB cable that comes with it is NOT very long. I do NOT have a Lap Top. As such, will need to take measurements from my Desktop. That means, I will need a longer USB cable. Will this one suffice:

Cheers,

Phil
As others mentioned - 15ft is max you should ever use before going to active cables. This is includes length of extensions which should avoid is possible.
The cable you've linked should work, but If I were you, I'd also get the 10ft just in case - they are so cheap.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No, not at all. Never have liked them. Still don't want one. I could get an Android tablet if need be. Office Depot will have a Lenovo tablet on sale for $100 starting this Sunday. I could also order this mic:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/pmik-1-detail

Not real sure that is a good idea though. Can I use an android tablet like a Lap Top? That is, as far as measurements are concerned. Really don't care much for tablets either. Have owned a few and all that they did was collect dust.....LOL!!!! Perhaps, an android tablet such as the Lenovo would be useful, no?

Cheers,

Phil
I wouldn't try to use an Android tablet as a replacement for my laptop!

Personally, I need a laptop to do work for myself--CAD work, and electronics hobbies for example. There is no substitute for a good keyboard and mouse! Though I do typically use a trackball instead of a mouse.

Laptop for work and surfing the web. Tower PC for my HTPC, streaming, and as a music server. Android tablet is more for my "field work"--pulling up pictures and Youtube vids when I'm soldering or doing mods that I have never done before--basically as a handy reference guide and a quick way to snap some pics.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis