Who has taken the 4K plunge?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The cost of going 4k is definitely going down and it's sure to become the new 1080p. 4k looks fantastic, but honestly, I'm less of a videophile and more of an audiophile. All of my tvs are 720p and I don't really care to even upgrade to 1080p right now. If I were to spend more money on my theater it'd definitely be to upgrade to atmos. I will replace my TV if it quits working.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
The cost of going 4k is definitely going down and it's sure to become the new 1080p. 4k looks fantastic, but honestly, I'm less of a videophile and more of an audiophile. All of my tvs are 720p and I don't really care to even upgrade to 1080p right now. If I were to spend more money on my theater it'd definitely be to upgrade to atmos. I will replace my TV if it quits working.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
I'm the same more audiophile than videophile. But having purchased a new audio system recently and enjoying it so much I began watching more movies especially after a friend shared a great website for free movies. Now I'm standing on the fence with this 4K decision but still got a learning curve to get through.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Never considered myself either audiophile or videophile really. I've always beefed up my sound system in my car bc I am a true music lover and do love good powerful sound but with my HT I guess I'm maybe a bit of both. I want the full package, good picture and good sound, but I not only can't afford the highest end speakers on the market, it honestly may be overkill for my needs. Nevertheless I'm amazed at the level of knowledge of some members on this forum and glad I came back here to learn even more during my conversion process It's been expensive and a bit frustrating at times and I continue to tweak.. :)

As a videographer and amateur filmmaker (one of my other expensive hobbies), I've come to greatly appreciate what goes into making a film look great. As such I feel I somewhat owe it to the filmmakers to see their creation at the highest level of quality I can afford (or maybe a bit above what I can afford, shhhhh). Watching films for me is a different experience in that regard; I'm not only watching the movie but I'm studying the visual storytelling. I learn from watching others.

I recently did an extensive videography shoot for a local client who was putting on a huge fireworks show for New Year's Eve. He wanted it shot in 4k from more than a dozen angles. I had to scramble to rent that many 4k cameras and hired a team to assist me. During editing of all that is why I truly began to appreciate the beauty of 4k and the resolution it can provide over standard 1080p. Though most may not see the difference during normal viewing of their shows and movies, seeing it from that perspective sold me on it. Went out and bought the new 4k TV before I was even done editing that piece.

It is, indeed, the future. I scoffed greatly at first but I've come around.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Never considered myself either audiophile or videophile really. I've always beefed up my sound system in my car bc I am a true music lover and do love good powerful sound but with my HT I guess I'm maybe a bit of both. I want the full package, good picture and good sound, but I not only can't afford the highest end speakers on the market, it honestly may be overkill for my needs. Nevertheless I'm amazed at the level of knowledge of some members on this forum and glad I came back here to learn even more during my conversion process It's been expensive and a bit frustrating at times and I continue to tweak.. :)

As a videographer and amateur filmmaker (one of my other expensive hobbies), I've come to greatly appreciate what goes into making a film look great. As such I feel I somewhat owe it to the filmmakers to see their creation at the highest level of quality I can afford (or maybe a bit above what I can afford, shhhhh). Watching films for me is a different experience in that regard; I'm not only watching the movie but I'm studying the visual storytelling. I learn from watching others.

I recently did an extensive videography shoot for a local client who was putting on a huge fireworks show for New Year's Eve. He wanted it shot in 4k from more than a dozen angles. I had to scramble to rent that many 4k cameras and hired a team to assist me. During editing of all that is why I truly began to appreciate the beauty of 4k and the resolution it can provide over standard 1080p. Though most may not see the difference during normal viewing of their shows and movies, seeing it from that perspective sold me on it. Went out and bought the new 4k TV before I was even done editing that piece.

It is, indeed, the future. I scoffed greatly at first but I've come around.
I was really into car audio too, a decade or so ago. I found a Mcintosh car amplifier in a pawn shop, like new for 200 bucks. I forget the specific model, but it was a stereo amp, 100 watts per channel. also found a small Zapco mono amp for my subs. it wasn't a ground pounder, but it sure sounded nice. I had Boston Acoustic speakers too. I loved that system.

I've always been more audiophile than a videophile. That's why I scrimp a little on tv's. My audio is far superior than my video. If I had more fun money you'd better believe I'd get a giant top of the line something to watch movies on. As it is, I focus it more on audio.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I was really into car audio too, a decade or so ago. I found a Mcintosh car amplifier in a pawn shop, like new for 200 bucks. I forget the specific model, but it was a stereo amp, 100 watts per channel. also found a small Zapco mono amp for my subs. it wasn't a ground pounder, but it sure sounded nice. I had Boston Acoustic speakers too. I loved that system.

I've always been more audiophile than a videophile. That's why I scrimp a little on tv's. My audio is far superior than my video. If I had more fun money you'd better believe I'd get a giant top of the line something to watch movies on. As it is, I focus it more on audio.
Yeah I get that. I'll eventually be upgrading my speakers too but that'll have to wait a bit until I can recharge the ol' play money fund, hah. These SVS are nice they do a good job but they obviously have limitations so maybe if I can swing it their ultra series or even another brand, at the risk of demolishing my "SVS Fanboy" status lol. When that time comes you know I'll be here asking the gurus. :)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I have a good car audio system, but nothing crazy. Just enough to provide some punch above what the speakers can handle, two old 10" MTX subs that I've recycled through probably four to five vehicles and various enclosures now, and some M-Audio door speakers. I'm not and never have been a big "basshead" on the road. You can't hear my system outside my truck at the volumes I listen to music.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I get that. I'll eventually be upgrading my speakers too but that'll have to wait a bit until I can recharge the ol' play money fund, hah. These SVS are nice they do a good job but they obviously have limitations so maybe if I can swing it their ultra series or even another brand, at the risk of demolishing my "SVS Fanboy" status lol. When that time comes you know I'll be here asking the gurus. :)
Their outlet is pretty wiped out for them right now because of a President's Day sale, but you can get a nice set of Ultras for 800 on there sometimes. I lucked into a pair with such a minor chip on a corner of each I had to bust out my phones flashlight to find them. They're awesome speakers. I picked them instead of the Prime towers.

Guess I might be a bit of a fan boy myself...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a good car audio system, but nothing crazy. Just enough to provide some punch above what the speakers can handle, two old 10" MTX subs that I've recycled through probably four to five vehicles and various enclosures now, and some M-Audio door speakers. I'm not and never have been a big "basshead" on the road. You can't hear my system outside my truck at the volumes I listen to music.
Same here. I wasn't going for impressing the people next to me at the light. It was plenty for the inside of my truck cab. I had a pair of fairly sensitive TSW 10" woofers modestly powered by that 200 watt Zapco amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis