Which Yamaha receiver?? match up with pioneer 815/1015 price range

E

ebterp

Audioholic Intern
Guys,

I really feel comfortable with the Yamaha line but need some ideas with regards to what entry/mid level receiver would match up against the pioneer 815/1015 and that basic price range??

Eric

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
The 5860 should be the one. Pre-outs, if you want to add an amp in the future. Plus, I believe the 5860 has the EQ as part of YPAO this year. I know the 5760 didn't when I owned that one. Street price = about $350.00

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
The only thing in the yamaha line that will match up with the 1015tx is the Yammy 5890/1500 and I'd argue the 2500 minus the great pre/outs but I dont know anyone that has actually used the preouts on the 1015x so who knows, but those are at least $300 more. The 5860 matches better with the 815

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Price Wise . . .

The Pioneer 815 matches up better to the Yamaha HTR-5840 or HTR-5740. These yamahas do not have the autocalibration or preouts of the pioneer, but the inaccuracy of the autocalibration and high noise floor make these features useless on the low end pioneer. (See audioholics review)
The Yamaha RX-V1500 can be found online for a comparable price to the Pioneer 1015 with comparable features and performance.
To clarify one of the earlier posts, the yamaha HTR-5860 and above (including 1500) all have 7.1 channel pre amp outputs.

E

ebterp

Audioholic Intern
What about RX-V657

What about the Yamaha RX-V657 seems to be a perfect fit. Whats the difference between the RX and HTR lines??

ERic

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
ebterp said:
What about the Yamaha RX-V657 seems to be a perfect fit. Whats the difference between the RX and HTR lines??

ERic
the rxv line is what they sell as their Highend specialty shop receivers. The HTR lines they sell in more mainstream places like Best Buy. I think the models are the almost the same between the RXV and HTR all the way up to the 5890/1500 and the RXV line adds the big receivers the 2500 and 4600

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
Before I bought the RX-V 1500 I did a lot of research on both the HTR and RX-V lines and compared them against the Pioneer 1015. There really isn't one that matches up perfectly against it but the closest would probably be the RX-V757. The key element missing is the THX Select 2 processing. You do lose a little powerwise but only about 10w per channel (note the THD specifications which might mislead you into thinking the 1015 is more powerful). It really comes down to how much you value the THX processing, and a bit more power. For the price the 1015 is hard to beat and it has a loyal following in here, but if you're partial to Yamaha I don't think you would be sacrificing anything noticeable with the 757.

As far as the THX processing on the 1500, I tend to use the CinemaDSP fields far more often than the THX Select processing... I do tend to question how much value you should place on it.

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
Oh,and to answer your other question... the differences between the HTR and RX-V lines are subtle but distinct. The primary difference is in the styling, but there are slightly different features with competitive models so it would be good to list out the features that are important to you and see which line matches up the best with what you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis