Which TV/Video Capture Card to Get?

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
Hi,

I'm looking for a TV card or video capture card that I can use to play my games consoles, PVR and VHS over my PC screen and as so my HT. I do have an old TV capture card from 1999 that I picked up for £5 but as screen resolution it was designed to use is 1024 x 768 and my screen is 1680 x 1050, the picture looks very blocky and poor as its been enlarged quite a bit so I have given up on it. I used dscaler with it for the viewing.

I want to get one with a component input so I could use RGB from SCART but my main problem is that I only have PCI and all the cheap ones that have component are PCI-e. The cheapest PCI one I have found is £85, which is about twice my budget.

As so I am going to have to limit myself to composite and s-video. I have currently narrowed it down to 2 cards that are about £22. One is a pure capture card with no TV function which I don't need anyway.

Compro C100 http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/c100/c100.html

The other however has DVB-T receiving (which I don't need) but it has a mpeg 2/4 hardware encoder that will reduce the load on the CPU encoding it.

Compro T100 http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/vt100/vt100.html

Basically I am completely stuck on which one to get, which one do you guys think I should get or do you have a better suggestion?

If anyone knows of a capture card with component input that is PCI and under £50 then please tell me.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I didn't get from your post exactly what you want to capture and do with the potential card. Please give some details about your functional needs and we'll go from there.

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
Capture and view the image in real time (not recording) from my games consoles, VHS player and PVR.

All of these apart from my one of my consoles and the VHS player can do S-Video and all except for the VHS and the other console can do RGB via SCART that can be easily adapted to component

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
Unfortunately can't justify the costs now - would be great but with the money I am getting at the moment (can't find a proper job, still just got a £12 a week paper round and where I live has some of the worst numbers of jobs in the UK, about 4 people to every 1 job and all the immigrants for some reason that I can't see love to live near me so they get all the jobs) and I need to save everything for when I go to University in October.

The reason I want a capture card is so I can take my gaming PC, PVR, VHS and all my consoles to university with me without having to take a TV as well. Shame that I'll have to leave most of my HT behind though until year 2 and I can rent somewhere with a mate, I don't think people will be too pleased with me in the student accommodation if I have my HT booming out all the time like I do at home:D

What I need is something like I described in my first post - something that does the job well and for not too much

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Paper route for 12 pound a week sounds like highway robbery.
I'd check out tutoring jobs, imo there is always demand to math tutors if you are good with it :D

You have internet, be creative - some people made tons of money with simple stuff like product reselling etc...

Find far east manufactures - contact local customers and make a sale for product they need at cheaper price than their regular vendors

s162216

s162216

Full Audioholic
Too bad I hate maths, dropped it last year anyway after I got a D grade total in the first year of my 'A level' for it so I dropped it.

Anyway, what did you think of those two cards I mentioned?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis