Which tablet for good quality music source...

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
I would like to dedicate the use of a tablet as the primary music source for my main music system.

Are there significant differences in the output quality between current versions of tablets in the $100 to $300 range?

Should I consider only tablets that have a USB output to run into the DAC in my integrated amp or are the cards/DACS on certain tablets pretty decent? Please name names.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would like to dedicate the use of a tablet as the primary music source for my main music system.

Are there significant differences in the output quality between current versions of tablets in the $100 to $300 range?

Should I consider only tablets that have a USB output to run into the DAC in my integrated amp or are the cards/DACS on certain tablets pretty decent? Please name names.
I would use an external DAC.

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
Any difference between tablet audio output quality?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you export the audio digitally, and I'd go wireless myself, it really doesn't matter what the pad is....if you're using the pad as an analog device I personally wouldn't bother.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
For a multitude of reasons, consider an iPad. Also purchase an Airport Express. The Airport Express, which gives you Airport (wireless) will connect to your router/modem with a LAN cable and to your preamp via RCA, or S/PDIF, should you prefer the DAC in your prepro over the Airport Express DAC. With this arrangement, and your music in iTunes on your computer and the iCloud, you may use the iPad as a remote for iTunes on the computer, or as an iTunes player, playing downloads or music stored in the iCloud. I have this "system" and give it an A+ rating for quality music retrieval and convenience. You can literally select to play, within a moment, any digital music ever created from anyplace on the planet. I also subscribe to Apple Music which adds to my pleasure with this music player, giving me the opportunity to listen to new music which I would never likely discover through any other means. At any rate, an iPad or iPhone loaded with iTunes App, along with an Airport Express is all you need to play quality stereo music wirelessly through your home stereo. It will make most other source components obsolete, with exception of multi-channel.

Last edited:
G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
Sounds like a wonderful system, Shoote.

I will be running the tablet via wifi in the garage. The router is in the house 35 feet a away, so I won't be hard wiring the device - unless there is a good reason to. I get a strong enough signal.

Tablets come with a variety of outputs:

Headphone jack only
Jack with a USB port
Jack with an HDMI port
Jack with other outs I'm not familiar with.

I'm guessing the tablet/pad should have at least a USB port to get digital to DAC.
Is the audio portion of HDMI analog or digital (post DAC or pre DAC?)
I am happy enough with the Amazon music universe, my local collection and Pandora.

highfigh

highfigh

Any difference between tablet audio output quality?
None of them is as good as using an outboard DAC. Also, it's better to control some kind of player with a tablet than to use it as the music source because it doesn't require as much from the network. It also eliminates the requirement that the tablet be tethered to the hardware.

highfigh

highfigh

I will be running the tablet via wifi in the garage. The router is in the house 35 feet a away, so I won't be hard wiring the device - unless there is a good reason to. I get a strong enough signal.

Headphone jack only
Jack with a USB port
Jack with an HDMI port

I'm guessing the tablet/pad should have at least a USB port to get digital to DAC.
I am happy enough with the Amazon music universe, my local collection and Pandora.
HDMI is digital.

If you're happy with Amazon Music, Pandora and your collection, look at the Echo Dot- it streams Pandora and (obviously) Amazon Music as well as receiving streamed music from phones and tablets via AirPlay and Bluetooth. It has a 3.5mm jack for analog audio (doesn't sound bad) or it can stream to a Bluetooth receiver and that includes Sonos, Yamaha MusicCast, HEOS, etc.

highfigh

highfigh

Headphone jack only
Jack with a USB port
Jack with an HDMI port

Don't confuse signal strength with speed and throughput- do a speed test in all areas of your garage before deciding that it's good enough.

S

sterling shoote

Referring to this post of yours and to your later statement about "wireless" you do not need any output from your tablet to enjoy it as the primary source for your main music system. However, you will need a pre/pro or AVR with Airport or Bluetooth capability. You can add Airport Express for an Airport function if you have a legacy AVR or pre/pro. Now, if you are going out of the tablet with USB to pre/pro or AVR, you would need an external DAC if your pre/pro or AVR did not have some sort of digital input, i.e. IEC958, S/PDIF, or USB. However, since you do have a DAC in your integrated amp you can run USB to amps USB input or convert to IEC 958 or S/PDIF at amp, wireless is possible too if you purchase a wireless DAC sender/receiver unit, such as those from audioengine.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious what your audio system is. Do you have a computer/nas or something to run music off of, using the tablet as a controller? Or is the tablet the repository of your music? I can stream using my android phone as a controller with the Bubbleupnp app, either using whats on the computer/drives or on the android phone, pretty handy from around the house via wi-fi.

G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
Curious what your audio system is. Do you have a computer/nas or something to run music off of, using the tablet as a controller? Or is the tablet the repository of your music? I can stream using my android phone as a controller with the Bubbleupnp app, either using whats on the computer/drives or on the android phone, pretty handy from around the house via wi-fi.
Up till I moved 2 months ago, my main system was in the house - a desktop computer as the primary source going out USB to my Outlaw integrated amp with a built in DAC then to my Definitive 8040 speakers.

Since we moved, I am keeping my desktop computer in the house and moving the audio system to our detached garage. I want to get an inexpensive "source" substitute with similar quality as my desktop was to use in the garage. A $200 tablet would fill the bill because it has a decent size screen to search/cue music, digital storage, access through wifi, and digital output. Ideally, I am seeking a moderate priced tablet with a USB port (mini or otherwise) that functions as a digital output and not just as a charger port. Or with an HDMI jack.

Here are related cabling questions. I understand digital audio can be conveyed from a tablet either via USB or HDMI jacks. For audio, is the bit stream from each identical? Do they both require a DAC on the receiving end? For HDMI out on a tablet, would a cable with HDMI on the sending end and a USB on the receiving end work?

Last edited:
G

gfmucci

Enthusiast
However, you will need a pre/pro or AVR with Airport or Bluetooth capability. You can add Airport Express for an Airport function if you have a legacy AVR or pre/pro. Now, if you are going out of the tablet with USB to pre/pro or AVR, you would need an external DAC if your pre/pro or AVR did not have some sort of digital input, i.e. IEC958, S/PDIF, or USB. However, since you do have a DAC in your integrated amp you can run USB to amps USB input or convert to IEC 958 or S/PDIF at amp, wireless is possible too if you purchase a wireless DAC sender/receiver unit, such as those from audioengine.
My limited experience with a Bluetooth device in line with my particular setup is that it degraded the sound quality noticeably. Is my experience common? Or was something screwed up in my particular setup. Anyway, I plan to hard wire where feasible and use wifi where necessary.

S

sterling shoote

My limited experience with a Bluetooth device in line with my particular setup is that it degraded the sound quality noticeably. Is my experience common? Or was something screwed up in my particular setup. Anyway, I plan to hard wire where feasible and use wifi where necessary.
Wi-Fi was a necessity for me, since my wife complained about the USB to S/PDIF cable from my laptop to pre/pro being an eye sore. The remedy for that was an Airport Express, which provides Airplay, a wireless function, where digital signal sent wirelessly to Airport Express is then either converted to analog via AE's DAC or converted to S/PDIF for pre/pro's conversion. Now, since I have heard both wired and wireless, I can tell you, for the most part, I cannot discern any delivery method being better or worse than the other. It all sounds fabulous. Only, on some occasions, when I am performing all sorts of things on my laptop at the same time, I do have sound drop outs when using the wireless connection.

highfigh

highfigh

Up till I moved 2 months ago, my main system was in the house - a desktop computer as the primary source going out USB to my Outlaw integrated amp with a built in DAC then to my Definitive 8040 speakers.

Since we moved, I am keeping my desktop computer in the house and moving the audio system to our detached garage. I want to get an inexpensive "source" substitute with similar quality as my desktop was to use in the garage. A $200 tablet would fill the bill because it has a decent size screen to search/cue music, digital storage, access through wifi, and digital output. Ideally, I am seeking a moderate priced tablet with a USB port (mini or otherwise) that functions as a digital output and not just as a charger port. Or with an HDMI jack.

Here are related cabling questions. I understand digital audio can be conveyed from a tablet either via USB or HDMI jacks. For audio, is the bit stream from each identical? Do they both require a DAC on the receiving end? For HDMI out on a tablet, would a cable with HDMI on the sending end and a USB on the receiving end work?
HDMI requires decoding and conversion because part of its original design goal was to prevent copying of the signal and USB needs a device that will accept the signal because it's just digital data.

Again, it's not necessary to use the tables to store the music and many apps & programs exist to allow it to control your streaming or force you to leave it in close proximity to the system. If you store your music on a hard drive and the DAC can be controlled so it sends the music to some kind of amplification, you can select your music from any place that's on the same network as long as the signal strength and throughput are adequate but for control, the demands on the network are far less than if you were actually streaming the music from the tablet itself. Your budget will determine what you can use.

I'm using a Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast piece and it sounds pretty good, can be controlled via IR , IP or the phone app, has USB, optical and analog inputs and if the USB is used, it works with many popular audio formats. I saved some music on a thumb drive in .wav and it works great. I can create playlists, queue the songs and play/pause/stop/skip forward or back and control the level. If I decide that I want to use Pandora, Spotify, Napster, Sirius, internet radio, AirPlay, Bluetooth, the analog input, the music on the hand-held device or an actual server, the buttons are on the app. If you want to use an outboard DAC, it has digital coax and optical outputs.

If you want to go higher up the chain, companies like Aurender make interesting pieces, too. I think that the claims made about the super high-end stuff van be very dubious, but I did notice that the sound from my Request server was different in a good way from some of the original CDs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

If its digital yes its just data, and to convert that digital data you need a device that does digital to analog conversion (i.e. a DAC circuit). I'd not bother with the cable as long as wireless works, but it shouldn't matter which way you do it (digital cable or wi-fi) except as highfigh has indicated, altho when I stream from my phone vs my computer/drives I haven't had any particular issues in various areas around (or even outside) the house.

I use network enabled avrs (or a blue ray player out in the workshop as that avr isn't network enabled) that I can simply stream to as renderer, using the Bubbleupnp app as controller and either the phone or the computer/drives as library.

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic

What about using a tablet docking stand hardwired to the integrated amp but it may only have 3.5 mm audio jacks.

highfigh

highfigh

What about using a tablet docking stand hardwired to the integrated amp but it may only have 3.5 mm audio jacks.
ANY time you use the 3.5mm jack, you're using the internal DAC and amplifier, which are the weakest available to you. Again, if you want the highest audio level and sound quality, don't use these- stream from the tablet and use Bluetooth, AirPlay or if it's an Android, use All Play.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use my iPad Air to stream music to my AirPlay/Apple TV/Denon AVP-A1 & AVR-3312.

I've also streamed music from my Samsung Note3 to my Denon AVRs via Bluetooth.

The Denon AVRs do all the DAC, which is great.

It has worked great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis