Which Surge Protector should I get ?

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

Looking for a surge protector, for my home theater, what do you guys use ? is mostly to protect a Marantz 7010 that I just ordered, at the moment I'm using a really old cheap one. My tv, blue ray and dish network receiver will also be connected. Not looking for a super expensive unit, my wallet is still hurt from buying this receiver. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi all,

Looking for a surge protector, for my home theater, what do you guys use ? is mostly to protect a Marantz 7010 that I just ordered, at the moment I'm using a really old cheap one. My tv, blue ray and dish network receiver will also be connected. Not looking for a super expensive unit, my wallet is still hurt from buying this receiver. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hello Rafy and welcome to the forum. So, did you buy the 7010 brand new? That is a very good receiver. Acc4less has a factory refurbished unit for $1400! It even comes with a (3) HDMI cables So, if you paid more than that for your 7010 I would encourage you to take it back. The good thing is by buying from Acc4less you can also save 30% off any Panamax product. So, I would opt for this if I were you:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/panmr4000a/panamax-mr4000-8-outlet-power-management-w/surge-power-conditioning/1.html

You can get that surge protector for about $140 more! Here is a link for the 7010:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7010/marantz-sr7010-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-bonus-hdmi-cables-100-value/1.html

You can even add extended warranty if you prefer:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/nlele3u2000/new-leaf-3-year-protection-plan-3-years-total-warranty-on-item/1.html

A (3)-year extended warranty would cost you another $100. So, $1640 you would have a Marantz 7010, Panamax surge protector, 3-years of warranty, and (3) HDMI cables! Not a bad deal at all. Plus, the pople at ACC4less are great to deal with. Highly recommend! Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Once again:
Best surge protection is the whole home type.

For point of use protectors, consider:
Brick Wall
ZeroSurge
SurgeX

They are all expensive.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Whole house systems are nice, though have a few caveats:
You'll need an electrician to install one.
They won't help with electrical noise, as from a hair dryer, vacuum cleaner.
Some point of use protectors offer power conditioning. Mine stops any noise from devices plugged in nearby.
Keep in mind they're not lightning protection, just surge/spike protection.
Short of a HALO system, unplugging stuff during a storm is your most economical choice.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Whole house systems are nice, though have a few caveats:
You'll need an electrician to install one.
They won't help with electrical noise, as from a hair dryer, vacuum cleaner.
Some point of use protectors offer power conditioning. Mine stops any noise from devices plugged in nearby.
Keep in mind they're not lightning protection, just surge/spike protection.
Short of a HALO system, unplugging stuff during a storm is your most economical choice.
The thing here in Kansas is you never know when a storm will come up, is crazy. I probably get a simple Panamax unit, I had one for almost 10 years, I bought a Monster unit after and it only lasted like 3 years, I guess is mostly for piece of mind, if I can make it home to unplugged my equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Best practice is to use whole house, then a local one for the AV system. Since you'll need a bunch of outlets, it may help to have a rack-mounted unit. The local protection is for surges that come from inside of the house, like the furnace/AC fan, a water pump if you're on a well, the refrigerator and any other motors, switches used for high current devices and of course, that one cheap dimmer that nobody ever remembers.

I chose a Panamax that shuts off below 90VAC and above 140VAC- many don't do much of anything until 300VAC, which is enough to kill a lot of electronics- low voltage isn't as bad when it's steady-state and some devices will just shut off but voltage spikes can go in either direction, so they need to be minimized.

I don't recommend anything by Munster- all of the power protection I use comes from companies that do almost nothing else.

Where, in Kansas? I have been there when freak storms showed up and it was weird- the sky was orange, green, purple, gray, brown....my uncle was driving us back to their house in Pittsburg and he just pulled over on top of a levy. My mom was from Chanute, by way of Parsons and KC.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Best practice is to use whole house, then a local one for the AV system. Since you'll need a bunch of outlets, it may help to have a rack-mounted unit. The local protection is for surges that come from inside of the house, like the furnace/AC fan, a water pump if you're on a well, the refrigerator and any other motors, switches used for high current devices and of course, that one cheap dimmer that nobody ever remembers...
I agree a whole house unit alone is not enough. You should still use a separate unit for your expensive electronics.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
I ended buying units from Best buy , $49.00 each, after research I'm not convinced in buying a $100 or more surge protector, the ones I bought tell you once the light that says "protecting" is gone get a new one, for me it made sense.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I ended buying units from Best buy , $49.00 each, after research I'm not convinced in buying a $100 or more surge protector, the ones I bought tell you once the light that says "protecting" is gone get a new one, for me it made sense.
I am using (2) units that I got at Monoprice. However, I also have renters insurance and my gear is fully covered minus my deductible of $500. Highly recommend AAA!

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
For convenience sake I've got this Panamax one on an outlet next to my desk, it has 6 120v and 2 usb receptacles. Also a cradle to hold the cell phone while charging. About 30 bucks from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-P360-Dock-6-Outlet-Charging-Station/dp/B00P06O104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469382538&sr=8-1&keywords=power360

IMG_0667.JPG

Glad someone created this thread, reminds me to take inventory and perhaps replace some of my older surge protectors.

All my A/V gear runs through power managers from Panamax. M4300-PM and M5300-PM.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern
No, no, no. Trust me. For this AVR you just bought, don't skimp. Don't break the bank, but don't skimp. Return those 2 $49 glorified power strips and get a real surge/power conditioning unit. And APC is the top shelf company for these things.

https://smile.amazon.com/APC-J25B-8-Outlet-Conditioner-Battery/dp/B003GSLL2E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469397347&sr=8-2&keywords=apc+h15

https://smile.amazon.com/APC-Rack-Mountable-Conditioner-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000FBF08Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469397347&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+h15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-H15BLK-12-Outlet-H-Type-Rack-Mountable-Power-Conditioner-USED-/162135151982?_trksid=p2352135.l4275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-H15-Home-Theater-Power-Conditioner-/331915962578?hash=item4d47bba8d2:g:f7cAAOSwhMFXkjNc

Reliable, is putting it lightly. I've had mine for about 6 years now (H15).

I would check out and get the silver one if I were you. Mine was silver...I painted it black and it is beautiful. ;):cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis