C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
Just curious how much of a difference there is between

Klipsch R-12SW 12-Inch Front-Firing 400W Max Subwoofer
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-12SW-12-Inch-Front-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B00MJ1YR8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1478971752&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+r12sw+subwoofer

And

SVS PB1000 10-inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AF88BRG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2LE3GF6KRK0L9&coliid=I239PL8ITZ3ETB&psc=1

HH Cregg has the Klipsch on sale for $225 for Black Friday. I've been building my basement from the studs and would like to have a decent 7.1 system but I don't want to get crazy in $$. it's a 20x20 room so I did want something with a little power. Is the SVS so much better that it's worth the extra $275?

C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
Weird. So I got an email that afterlife2 responded but their reply isn't here in the thread. Anyway. Room size is 20x20

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If your room is that large I'd be at least looking at the pb2000. The pb1000 will beat the 12"Klipsch. If the budget is tight I'd look the http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
Good recommendation here. But, just thought that I would mention that right now Hsu has a B-stock VTF 2 MK4 for sale as well:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/clearance.html

Been watching the B-stock offerings over at Hsu myself. That is how I knew about the B-stock.......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the feedback so far, and yes, I am trying to keep a budget. SO what I gather, the Klipsh isn't really a good option for me and The HSU VTF 2 MK4 is probably a better fit than the PB 1000 but the pb2000 would be the best of them all?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
thanks for the feedback so far, and yes, I am trying to keep a budget. SO what I gather, the Klipsh isn't really a good option for me and The HSU VTF 2 MK4 is probably a better fit than the PB 1000 but the pb2000 would be the best of them all?
Well out of those the pb2000 would be, but if you step up to that I'd consider the HSU vtf3. You can never have to much sub :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Weird. So I got an email that afterlife2 responded but their reply isn't here in the thread. Anyway. Room size is 20x20
Yeah I realized that you mentioned your room size. I think in your room PB1000 would be great, but hey if you have the money move to the PB2000. I'm more than satisfied with the PB1000 though in my apt.

C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
Well out of those the pb2000 would be, but if you step up to that I'd consider the HSU vtf3. You can never have to much sub :D
lol I can see this sub stuff can get out of hand quick... what did I get myself into!? Ha!

C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I realized that you mentioned your room size. I think in your room PB1000 would be great, but hey if you have the money move to the PB2000. I'm more than satisfied with the PB1000 though in my apt.

Ok. Yea, I have a lot to think about.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You can't go wrong on any SVS or HSU.
Got this from another forum:
Jamo J-112 available on ebay in dark apple and white finishes. This is a pretty darn good sub for $250. Cheapest I've seen in a long time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamo-J-112-DA-12-Inch-Front-Firing-Premium-Woofer-Dark-Apple-/131975983879?hash=item1eba61b307:g:p38AAOSw4shYB5mk
Joe, the White version of the Jamo can be had for only $180!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886427004&nm_mc=OTC-Shopping&cm_mmc=OTC-ShoppingNet-_-Electronics-_-Jamo-_-N82E16886427004&scpid=8&scid=scsho15905769&sdc_id=1123201096927

Not a bad deal if you ask me! Looks like a repackaged Klipsch to me. Makes sens since Klipsch owns Jamo.

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Joe, the White version of the Jamo can be had for only $180!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886427004&nm_mc=OTC-Shopping&cm_mmc=OTC-ShoppingNet-_-Electronics-_-Jamo-_-N82E16886427004&scpid=8&scid=scsho15905769&sdc_id=1123201096927

Not a bad deal if you ask me! Looks like a repackaged Klipsch to me. Makes sens since Klipsch owns Jamo.

Cheers,

Phil
Yep right on the money, Phil! Got it from the AVS forum budget subs. It's a Jamo J-112 though not the same one on newegg.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another Klipsch thing to change a sub's model number from 112 to 12 (or adding various letters in front/back of the number), making it difficult to distinguish from other more similar-than-different models....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yep right on the money, Phil! Got it from the AVS forum budget subs. It's a Jamo J-112 though not the same one on newegg.
LOL never knew that Jamo/Klipsch had so many different models that look nearly the same. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Would have never even known......LOL!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Another Klipsch thing to change a sub's model number from 112 to 12 (or adding various letters in front/back of the number), making it difficult to distinguish from other more similar-than-different models....
I agree Chris it is rather confusing. The question is, however, which model mentioned above is the better more capable sub? Personally, I have no clue. Never owned a Jamo or Klipsch sub whatsoever........LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree Chris it is rather confusing. The question is, however, which model mentioned above is the better more capable sub? Personally, I have no clue. Never owned a Jamo or Klipsch sub whatsoever........LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
In the OP's case, for his size room and budget, I'd get two of the Klipsch for the advantage of dual subs primarily. If I were limited to having one sub only, I'd get the SVS. Depends somewhat on what OPs future plans for upgrade/budgeting are, too. For $500 you could possibly start thinking about DIY, too, depending on any desire in that direction.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In the OP's case, for his size room and budget, I'd get two of the Klipsch for the advantage of dual subs primarily. If I were limited to having one sub only, I'd get the SVS. Depends somewhat on what OPs future plans for upgrade/budgeting are, too. For $500 you could possibly start thinking about DIY, too, depending on any desire in that direction.
Might not be a bad idea and get dual Klipsch subs and try them out. The OP would have 14-days from the date of purchase to do so in the event he is not happy. Other than packing up and hauling back to BB what does he really have to lose here? Who knows, he may just like what he is hearing. If not, then order the SVS sub and go from there. The Klipsch subs do look rather large inmho. The OP needs to make sure that he has the room for them.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dunno, the Klipsch is smaller than the SVS (14 x 18.5 x 16 to 18.9 x 15 x 19.4).....and for ported subs they're both relatively small (the bane of store-bought subs generally). Hopefully in a large room like he's got he can fit two smallish subs....

C

Convo

Audioholic Intern
Ha, never thought about running 2 subs, I'm not sure what I'm going to do as I didn't want to drop a ton of $$ on a sub just yet. I still need to drop a ton on my TV=P

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis