Which screen to buy?

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I need a projector screen for doing presentations and new/upgrades of software demonstrations in our work Learning Center.

The projector in the room is an Optoma TX-762 and is ceiling mounted.

The room configuration sits about 30-40 people and the size is 20' x 40'.
The projector is set to display in the middle of the 40' wall with the people seated in the first row about 8' away and there are 3 rows deep. Currently they use a small 60" portable screen that people can't really see a good software demo on.

I want to purchase the largest screen possible that will give viewers the best image for displaying software demos from a PC. I imagine it would have to be a motorized screen as something that large would probably be a PITA to raise and lower manually. (There are 3 whiteboards behind the screen that are also used sometimes without the projector.)

Any ideas for a budget screen that could do the job?

J

jotham

Audioholic
Years ago, I bought a 92" diagonal Da-Lite Cosmopolitan for home use.
Cosmopolitan® Electrol®

It probably cost me around $800 plus another $100 or so for IR control (comes standard with a wall switch).

I've moved multiple times and attached it to multiple walls, used it 5 times a week for years and it still works perfectly. Mine is not tensioned but it still makes for a very nice steady picture.

There are cheaper motorized screens from places like monoprice that certainly look attractive.
For only $349.16 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Motorized Projection Screen (Somfy Motor) w/ RF Remote - Matte White Fabric (92 inch, 16:9)

If this were for home use, I would say, go with the monoprice. It may end up not being as high of quality but it will probably be fine.

However, in a work environment where installation is a PITA and you need reliability, I would probably recommend going with a Da-Lite screen and maybe calling them to get a good idea of the best one for your environment. The kind of screen, hi-power, matte, grey, etc can really determine the legibility of your presentations and frankly I don't know enough to recommend that part.

You may want to go with tensioned to minimize movement from air drafts (people moving around, opening/closing doors, etc). It will cost more but again, the point is usability and reliability.

One last point, business projection is usually in a 4/3 aspect ratio so a 16/9 screen may not be appropriate. The website projectorcentral.com is your friend for detailed answers to some of these questions.

hope this helps!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, you are going to have some issues.

1. The Optoma you listed is a 1024x768 projector. By today's standards, that's pretty low resolution. It also isn't widescreen which means it matches up with about zero product currently on the market.
Optoma Projectors: Optoma TX762 DLP projector

2. To BUY a 4:3 projector screen, in my opinion, would be an incredible waste of money.

3. Do you want motorized or can it be fixed to the wall?

4. For fixed screens, www.carada.com makes some excellent models for the money.

5. For motorized, I would go with a tab-tensioned screen from Da-Lite. Da-Lite Screen Company

6. Your screen size should be about 120" or so, but that is based upon it being 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen, not 4:3. You probably can't do much more than 120" if you go with a 4:3 screen.

In 4:3 aspect ratio, at 6'x8' you will have a 48 square foot screen. Do some math and that's a hair over 80 rated lumens per square foot of screen space. That's about the maximum size you can achieve with that projector since it is rated at 4,000 lumens.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Yes, that was what I was hoping to get was a 6'x8' screen which would fit nicley in the space for the room.
Unfortunately, a new projector is out of the question, so we are stuck with the 4:3 format for now.

I've seen the motorized screens from $500 - $800 and also a lot more too.
That's probably our budget and will have to suffice for now.

Thanks all.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you can't get a tab-tensioned screen then do NOT buy (waste your money on) a motorized screen. Just get a manual pull down screen.

This also goes with not getting a 4:3 screen.

It's like having a run down vehicle and asking what kind of tires you should get for it. The answer is that you should get the cheapest possible, and replace the car as soon as you can.

I haven't recommended a non-widescreen projector in the last TEN years, but they are still available and people still buy them. They shouldn't, but they do. So, I would take $100 and buy a cheap manual screen, and save $400-$700 to put towards a new widescreen projector that is similar brightness, and higher resolution.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Ok thanks. I thought that with the new screen being so wide that it would have to be electric because it would be difficult to pull it up and down manually without creasing or harming it.

Yeah, our HR department bought the projector last year without consulting IT but we have to support the Learning Centre and its equipment.

I hate doing our software demonstartions in there because of the small screen they are using now. It's only a manual 48" so you can barely read the text when you type into the fields.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis