Which receiver, Sony STR-DA5000ES or Yamaha RX-V2500

P

propman07

Enthusiast
Hello-

I bought a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver about a year ago. Everything was going okay, until my TV started to go out. At the time, I didn't realize it was the TV, and I thought that it was the Sony receiver (upconverting S-Video to component) I hastily purchased a replacement receiver, namely the Yamaha RX-V2500 based on some reviews that I found online. When I got the receiver, I realized that it was the TV that was bad. Now, I have two receivers, and I'm trying to pick between the two. Here are some stats on each of the receivers.

Yamaha RX-V2500

7-Channel Powerful Surround Sound (130W x 7 RMS) [8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.04% THD]
Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
Pure Direct Switch for High Quality 2-Channel and Multi-Channel Sound Reproduction
192 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels
YPAO Automatically Sets Best Sound for Any Room, Any Speaker Placement
Dialogue Lift for Enhanced Dialogue Sound
9-Channel Speaker Outputs with Zone 2 Out
On-Screen Display with GUI (Graphical User Interface)
Main / Zone 2 Front Panel Power Switching
Zone 2 S-Video Output Terminal

Sony ES STR-DA5000ES

170 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.6% THD
Direct Drive digital amplifier
Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic II
Sony Digital Cinema Sound modes
dual 32-bit processors
three-room/three-source A/V output (composite video and stereo preamp output with volume control for 2nd room, stereo preamp output for 3rd room)
learning/multibrand 2-way, 4-line LCD remote with macros
2nd A/V remote for 2nd or 3rd room digital and analog multichannel bass management
video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
7.1-channel preamp output
two multichannel analog inputs (one 7.1, one 5.1)
component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (80MHz) digital inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial optical digital output 4 audio (including phono), 5 A/V (including 5 S-video & 1 front-panel) inputs
on-screen display

I can't afford to keep both receivers, as one of them will find its way on e-Bay.

Which receiver do you think is superior? Sony? Yamaha? Sell both and get XXX? I plan on connecting both to my Polk speakers, and letting my ears weigh in on the decision, but I wanted to get some "expert" opinions, which is why I'm here.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I would say Yamaha with NO hesitation. I've never seen much quality in Sony electronics aside from their Wega TVs and pro headphones. Aside from that, their stuff has always seemed "chintzy" to me. The Yamaha is lower distortion, has THX certification, and is just higher quality.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I agree. Yammy all the way.... Sony for TV's and that is IT.

Stick with the Yammy.... and put the Sony in the bedroom!

P

propman07

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback so far.

It looks like the Sony may be finding it's way onto e-Bay in the near future...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
WHAT!? Snap, what's wrong? You didn't find a way to plug my Phase Tech review?!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I recall reading from a Sony forum where people claimed the Sony 5000ES has a sweet tube like sound. It has higher THD on paper, but its a digital amp too.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yahama RX-V2500

Don't take our word for it, check the review and measurements done by Audioholics. The only other receiver in its price / performance class is the Denon 3805.

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
propman07, I would go with the yamaha. I own almost the same identical system as you and I love that the 2500 has more than enuf power to drive my polk RTI12's. :D My old system was a Sony receiver and BOSE speakers :eek: (gave the whole system to my dad).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis