Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Onkyo tx-nr646

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Im having a difficult time choosing my first receiver for my home theater setup and I know just about all the basics of setting up speaker placement properly, bi-amping, etc. I'm choosing between the Sony dn1060, onkyo tx-nr646, and Denon avr-x3200. The reason why I'm asking which is the better receiver because the dn1060 seems fishy about their power ratings that's 165w per channel. Same as the tx-nr646 which has 5 more watts and both receivers weigh about the same when the denon receiver is rated 105w per channel with a bigger power supply. I also hear a lot of onkyo receivers have a lot of HDMI defects.

Last edited:
J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
I would get either Yamaha / Marantz / Denon that has all the features you need, dont look so much for wattage ratings as they don't mean so much. I myself like audyssey from Marantz / Denon. Here you can find some great deals on receivers: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html
These receivers has to be used for the price to be very low. I like brand new receivers because used is sometimes a risk.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
These receivers has to be used for the price to be very low. I like brand new receivers because used is sometimes a risk.
They are Factory Refurbished and come with manufacturer warranty, so they are like new.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
These are like new. You won't be able to tell. I've bought with them and alot of members here with no problems. You can even do an extended warranty, so no loss. Do you have a budget?

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
These are like new. You won't be able to tell. I've bought with them and alot of members here with no problems. You can even do an extended warranty, so no loss. Do you have a budget?
yeah about $600

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What is it with audiophiles hating on Sony receivers?
Ask Sony. They are the ones who cheaped out. The D line has pretty much always been less than stellar models targeted at features rather than performance. They improved a little with better amps recently, but they're still all about features, not sound quality. The ES line was great for a LONG time, but now they're nothing special. With so many GOOD manufacturers on the market, Sony can't really keep up.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Ask Sony. They are the ones who cheaped out. The D line has pretty much always been less than stellar models targeted at features rather than performance. They improved a little with better amps recently, but they're still all about features, not sound quality. The ES line was great for a LONG time, but now they're nothing special. With so many GOOD manufacturers on the market, Sony can't really keep up.
Based on reviews about 90% are satisfied.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps you need to learn to read amp specs of like type to compare with but also keep in mind that the power among avrs is relatively the same range (usually within a few dB of each other). Forget the passive bi-amping "feature" (hopefully that's what you learned). I think the Denon's Audyssey is quite a bit better than Sony's DCAC or Onkyo's AccuEQ, and I'd think about the 3300 instead to get Audyssey XT32 rather than just XT in the 3200. Onkyo seems to be beyond their HDMI issues for a while now in any case....and they all have hdmi issues to an extent.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Based on reviews about 90% are satisfied.
If you are talking about Audioreview or Amazon reviews, well, yeah... Easy to be "satisfied" when you don't know any better. A "review" of a product does not make someone an expert. Having owned quite a few Sonys, I can say from experience there is a reason I don't buy Sony anymore.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Perhaps you need to learn to read amp specs of like type to compare with but also keep in mind that the power among avrs is relatively the same range (usually within a few dB of each other). Forget the passive bi-amping "feature" (hopefully that's what you learned). I think the Denon's Audyssey is quite a bit better than Sony's DCAC or Onkyo's AccuEQ, and I'd think about the 3300 instead to get Audyssey XT32 rather than just XT in the 3200. Onkyo seems to be beyond their HDMI issues for a while now in any case....and they all have hdmi issues to an extent.
What's the difference between the x3200 and x3300 other than the Audyssey tech? To me the specs are just about the same... However I'm better off paying the extra hundred for the x4200. Its a little pricey for my budget but I could pull it off.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the difference between the x3200 and x3300 other than the Audyssey tech? To me the specs are just about the same... However I'm better off paying the extra hundred for the x4200. Its a little pricey for my budget but I could pull it off.
I'd check this thread for what is different on the 3300 over 3200 other than XT-XT32. One thing I'd like to check out that 2016 brought is the accessibility of the new Denon Audyssey tweaking phone app.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Nice feature lovinthehd, all the information shared with you by these guys is proven based on the supporting cast in this forum, my experience with Onkyo & Sony reminds me...that if you're stuck in the past you won't have a future, these 2 haven't earned the right to be in the company of Denon, that's not directed to you personally but don't set yourself up for regret, enjoy...Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice feature lovinthehd, all the information shared with you by these guys is proven based on the supporting cast in this forum, my experience with Onkyo & Sony reminds me...that if you're stuck in the past you won't have a future, these 2 haven't earned the right to be in the company of Denon, that's not directed to you personally but don't set yourself up for regret, enjoy...Cheers
I don't understand , or at least not why addressed to me?

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
Also look into the Denon X4200W. There are still some around and maybe the same or cheaper than the X3300W. It has XT32 which I really think helps. Particularly if you ever go to a dual sub setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis