Which Center Channel and Bookshelves?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I currently have a pair of Cerwin Vega V-12F floor speakers and an old Pioneer 5.1 receiver that doesn't have a powered center channel. I will be upgrading the old Pioneer receiver with a Onkyo TX-SR602 and adding a center channel speaker so I can actually here the dialog. I would also like to add a pair of bookshelves in the rear for surround sound. I am looking to spend around $600 for a center channel and a pair of bookshelve speakers. Can anyone recommend good speakers in this price range. Brands in mind include JBL, Infinity, and klipsch.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
You didn't mention what price range you were considering, and if it you are planning on mostly using the speakers for HT or music.

In my opinion, the Klipch are great for home theater, but not as good as the infinity's for music. The Klipch may be a little bright for music with your receiver.
You can get a great deal on the Infinity Alpha's right now at Crutchfield, since they have been replaced with the Betas.

I am currently using an older pair of Klipch KG-4's with a Klipch SC-3 center. The center is only a month old (was using the TV as my center before), but I am looking to switch to Infinity Beta's all around. If you decide to go with the Klipch, I'll give you a good deal on the SC-3. ;)

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
The price range that I am looking for is $600 for both the center channel speaker and a pair of bookshelves. My choice for receiver is still up to debate, but for preliminary purposes, how does this sound?

TV----Sony 36" Wega HDTV ($1400)
Receiver----Sony STRDE897/B ($399)
Floorspeaker----Cerwin Vega V-12F (already own)
Center Channel----Klipsch SC-3 ($299)
Boolshelf----Klipsch SB-2 ($280)
DVD----Yamaha DV-S5650 ($149)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd suggest that you really don't want to mix & match brands of speakers, at least not for the front 3. It's important that they all be voiced identically, or barring that, at least as closely as possible. Klipsch & CV are very different sounding speakers.

My advice would be to buy new mains & a matching center. If you're really attached to the mains or can't affort to replace them, then at least try to buy a CV center that's as close to the floorstanders as they make.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
I'd suggest that you really don't want to mix & match brands of speakers, at least not for the front 3. It's important that they all be voiced identically, or barring that, at least as closely as possible. Klipsch & CV are very different sounding speakers.

My advice would be to buy new mains & a matching center. If you're really attached to the mains or can't affort to replace them, then at least try to buy a CV center that's as close to the floorstanders as they make.
I can't seem to find anywhere reputable to buy the cv center channel. Can anyone post a link of where to find a good cv center channel speaker to match my mains?

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
I agree, avoid mix and match! What if

you move your current two fronts to the rear-will that fit? Then get a new set of 3 for the front.

IF not, you don't have to get a C-V center channel. Could be a small C-V bookshelf speaker, sitting vertically, if you can live with how it looks. (This sideways layout typical of centers is terrible, don't get me started, that's a whole different thread!)

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I think that I will just keep my cerwin vegas as the front mains because of my small budget. Being that I am a total newb I doubt that I will be able to tell any difference due to mis-matched speakers. I have done well thus far with faint dialog from tv speakers and my 12" mains. My question is if the Klipsch SC-1 center channel and the Klipsch SB-1 bookshelves are good speakers for the money.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
If you are going to keep you Vega's why not just get a V-5C
Channel $129 list $89 street
and a pair of V-5M bookshelf for the rear $99 street to complete your system you would then have matching speakers for all the channels
miss matching speakers is not a good Idea for a fluid seemless sounding multi-channel system seems like a cheap alternative ?
Cheers

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
What is the quality and sound of the cerwin vega V-5C and V-5M?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
rack04 said:
Being that I am a total newb I doubt that I will be able to tell any difference due to mis-matched speakers.
Wanna bet? You've been given very good advice above. Ignore it at your own risk.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I was able to find the V-5C on ebay for $59.99 is this a good speaker for the price?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis