Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
G

gzubeck

Audioholic
The greater good. Maybe

Still, there are limits to what your Sony BT headphones can reproduce. Complex polyphony can be challenging to single-driver cans, and might result in harmonic distortion that isn't measured with frequency sweeps, or might cause the treble to become choppy when sub bass is also playing. The videos you hear on YouTube will not overcome these problems, nor will they calibrate nor improve the head related transfer function of your Sony cans.

I don't know...they sound RFG (Really F...... Good!) These are designed base monsters as headphones go.

This, plus the next point, are bigger problems than you realize. If you clap your hands in whatever room you happen to be in, how long does it take the sound to decay? A quarter second? At least with headphones you aren't combining your own room acoustics with those of the recording. But the recording cannot do the impulse response of whatever speakers you're listening to any justice. How much is the acoustics of the room coloring the sound? Below 200Hz notwithstanding, does the recorder's uncalibrated mic bring the treble forward?

So if everyone has a different experience in different rooms then all speaker demos are potentially useless (whether live or recorded) unless perfect calibration occurs with expert setups...the actual setups I'm listening to (In videos) are in large rooms (and are setup by people that have a higher level of knowledge than the average user). I agree that watching a recording is less than ideal but you can still get an idea about the potential of a speaker setup and can invite you to a live demo later in better situations.

The sort of subtlety you're hoping to discern can't be achieved by listening to a recording of a recording. You said so yourself with your photocopy illustration earlier. There's too much loss of detail. And again, how can you hear whether the mic is combining direct radiation with early reflections to color the sound? These room interactions might not occur in your own house. Or there might be different interactions not heard by the videographer.

I can get a solid feeling for imaging and presence from a recording on a quality setup and some basic qualitative aspect about individual speaker drivers. will I get everything I need...probably not but I can definitely eliminate what I don't like very quickly. This saves me time and money.

I will concede this point. I'm not one to drink the 24-bit, 192kHz Kool-Aid either. I believe 16-bit, 44kHz, 224kbps MP3s are indistinguishable from lossless, and can only very rarely tell the difference between lossless and 192kbps. And since YouTube uses AAC, which offers better quality audio compared to the same bitrate MP3, YouTube's compression will have a negligible effect.

I'll add a few more to the list. Is the crossover point too low for accurate sound stage? Too high to mask the breakup modes of the mid driver? Do the speakers have a wide enough listening window to accommodate your intended use, or is there a single sweet spot that will leave others in the room hearing acceptable but uninspiring sound? Will the off axis response color early reflections differently in the videographer's room than it would in yours? These are questions a YouTube video cannot ever answer.

Speaker manufacturers do not modify their speakers to fit your house. But if you can fit JBL 4343 speakers in your 10x10 foot room and enjoy it I'm not going to stop you...It's up to the consumer to exercise common sense in determining whether a speaker might work or not work in their respective situations.

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Quote gzbeck - I don't know...they sound RFG (Really F...... Good!) These are designed base monsters as headphones go.

Exactly, they are designed to color the sound, like Beats etc... listen, lets all just agree to disagree, you believe you can discern good speakers from bad by listening to demos on Youtube, congrats.

We are presenting a logical explanation based on scientific facts, not personal assumptions. Something can only sound like what you're playing through them, period. 1 million dollar speakers recorded with the best recording equipment on planet Earth will sound only as good as my M5510 speakers can play it. I have some great Flac recordings and on this laptop, they sound crisp and exactly like M5510 speakers, because they can't sound like any other.

You can tell a good Youtube recording over a bad one but it will not accurately represent the speakers in the demo and your headphones are no different and as you stated they are designed to push bass, which will definitely color the sound but hey, you do you and we'll continue being the "cult" of logical thinking.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Quote gzbeck - I don't know...they sound RFG (Really F...... Good!) These are designed base monsters as headphones go.

Exactly, they are designed to color the sound, like Beats etc... listen, lets all just agree to disagree, you believe you can discern good speakers from bad by listening to demos on Youtube, congrats.

We are presenting a logical explanation based on scientific facts, not personal assumptions. Something can only sound like what you're playing through them, period. 1 million dollar speakers recorded with the best recording equipment on planet Earth will sound only as good as my M5510 speakers can play it. I have some great Flac recordings and on this laptop, they sound crisp and exactly like M5510 speakers, because they can't sound like any other.

You can tell a good Youtube recording over a bad one but it will not accurately represent the speakers in the demo and your headphones are no different and as you stated they are designed to push bass, which will definitely color the sound but hey, you do you and we'll continue being the "cult" of logical thinking.
Yeah, using RFG headphones regarded as "base" monsters adds to credibility...

G

gzubeck

Audioholic

Not even close...there is a lot of information you can discern from it even though it might not be perfect...and yes I can become interested from a a quality demo or disinterested just as well... if you get 80% of the info you need to take it to a live demo then that's good enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades...If it saves me time vs. the time its taken to argue my point here then all the better...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Not even close...there is a lot of information you can discern from it even though it might not be perfect...and yes I can become interested from a a quality demo or disinterested just as well... if you get 80% of the info you need to take it to a live demo then that's good enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades...If it saves me time vs. the time its taken to argue my point here then all the better...
How are you getting 80% of the info needed by hearing a video of a speaker on youtube? You listen through headphones you admit push bass and obviously color the sound so how can you determine how the speaker will sound based on so little factual sound emanating from the output?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to understand the logic being employed but then you're using horseshoes and hand grenades as a benchmark which explains it, carry on.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
who really cares what you think? Your comments and statements are beyond useless...
Aside from the fact he has a valid point. It's like you go out research a blue Mustang GT, the Internet only has a picture of a pink one and you say hey close enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades I'm sold!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
who really cares what you think? Your comments and statements are beyond useless...
Nobody does. And nobody cares what you think either since it's not based in a common condition to us all known as...reality!!! It's actually part of the audioholics brainwashing program. Makes life easier, since I don't have to think for myself. 80%? Really? That's good enough? How did you quantify that anyway? Btw, how can you even get to 80% with BASE monster headphones?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Nobody does. And nobody cares what you think either since it's not based in a common condition to us all known as...reality!!! It's actually part of the audioholics brainwashing program. Makes life easier, since I don't have to think for myself. 80%? Really? That's good enough? How did you quantify that anyway? Btw, how can you even get to 80% with BASE monster headphones?
Damn you, now that damn song "It's all about da bass" is in my head.... I HATE that song..... o_O

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do wonder... how many people have bought inferior speakers based on YouTube videos? I've seen videos posted that make Bose sound better than reputable speakers by adjusting volume or mic position...

I say go for it! Buy your speakers based on a YouTube video. More power to ya. I just know that I'd never do it.

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
How are you getting 80% of the info needed by hearing a video of a speaker on youtube? You listen through headphones you admit push bass and obviously color the sound so how can you determine how the speaker will sound based on so little factual sound emanating from the output?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to understand the logic being employed but then you're using horseshoes and hand grenades as a benchmark which explains it, carry on.

why carry-on at all...everyone should just stop posting videos period on YouTube concerning anything audio related...there is nothing more to be gleaned or learned or anything for that matter...you can just continue on proclaiming the infallibility of meat-puppet 1 and 2....for me to continue arguing something you would have to be open minded which you and your buddy here aren't...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
everyone should just stop posting videos period on YouTube concerning anything audio related...there is nothing more to be gleaned or learned or anything for that matter...
Now you're getting it! At least as far as judging sq goes, yes. You are correct.

I'm still a little confused as to why you're resorting to petty name calling and ill-worded personal attacks. You can have a discussion without doing that. Kind of shows your level of maturity and ability to listen to reason...

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
I do wonder... how many people have bought inferior speakers based on YouTube videos? I've seen videos posted that make Bose sound better than reputable speakers by adjusting volume or mic position...

I say go for it! Buy your speakers based on a YouTube video. More power to ya. I just know that I'd never do it.
No... I don't...I listen to speakers whose drivers I'm interested in before buying drivers....big difference. I build my own so this is not my problem...

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
Now you're getting it! At least as far as judging sq goes, yes. You are correct.

I'm still a little confused as to why you're resorting to petty name calling and personal attacks. You can have a discussion without doing that. Kind of shows your level of maturity and ability to listen to reason...
This was irony...listening to you would be like listening to priests in the dark ages...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
why carry-on at all...everyone should just stop posting videos period on YouTube concerning anything audio related...there is nothing more to be gleaned or learned or anything for that matter...you can just continue on proclaiming the infallibility of meat-puppet 1 and 2....for me to continue arguing something you would have to be open minded which you and your buddy here aren't...
For your information, I am NOT a meat puppet. I'm a meat bat. Got any videos of your speakers so we can audition? Certainly with all the research via YouTube, you've no doubt found something special. In the meantime, I will be experiencing the rush of wake boarding via someone's go pro.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No... I don't...I listen to speakers whose drivers I'm interested in before buying drivers....big difference. I build my own so this is not my problem...
Okay, then buy your drivers based on YouTube videos. I fail to see why you pointed out the difference. Listening to a speaker is listening to a speaker, regardless of intent. You're still judging its merits based on flawed logic.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I watched motorcycles racing MotoGP on high def TV. Over 200HP in a 352 pound (160kg) bikes. It was just like riding one.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
LMAO! sorry man...try this one.
It's called "Base" I love you.(it actually goes super low so be careful)
It's all good, I know that song all too well, thankfully it's not going crazy in the noodle, another song has since taken its place.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's one of my favorite youtubes for that lifelike involvement to give you the-I-almost-was-there experience :)

You guys still yakking with gzubeck? I've got him on ignore....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's one of my favorite youtubes for that lifelike involvement to give you the-I-almost-was-there experience :)

You guys still yakking with gzubeck? I've got him on ignore....
I just discovered him. Thought it would be fun, but it's getting old...

*Edit: That video is insane! I've ridden similar trails out here (motorized). I know what it's like to be on something like that, minus the backflips, but not on a bicycle! Looks a lot like the trails we have in the desert.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis