Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Its always interesting to browes the expensive speakers to try and find out what makes them so expensive to begin with.
That's easy. Put a bunch of real 10 karat diamonds and gold on the speaker cabinets. :D

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
That's easy. Put a bunch of real 10 karat diamonds and gold on the speaker cabinets. :D
Yea i was thinking the same thing:) I have spent most of my weekend so far on the net looking at some really expensive speakers but at the end of the day i am really happy with the not so expensive ones that i have.Some people really get into their passion for audio very seriously indeed and spend a hell of a lot of cash.I am serious but not to that extent.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yea i was thinking the same thing:) I have spent most of my weekend so far on the net looking at some really expensive speakers but at the end of the day i am really happy with the not so expensive ones that i have.Some people really get into their passion for audio very seriously indeed and spend a hell of a lot of cash.I am serious but not to that extent.:)
The whole point of spending all the cash is to be happy with our systems. If we have achieved that, then we have accomplished our goal.

At the same time, if it makes someone happy buying 24 karat diamond and gold speakers, that's cool too. :)

Grassy

Grassy

Full Audioholic
The whole point of spending all the cash is to be happy with our systems. If we have achieved that, then we have accomplished our goal.

At the same time, if it makes someone happy buying 24 karat diamond and gold speakers, that's cool too. :)
Yep. i will second that:cool:

B

bompus

Enthusiast
I've always had good luck with JBL. I often can't afford them for projects that I am working on, but every time I do hear them, they seem to have a crisper response than others I've tested.

T

Tom Shepard

Audiophyte
When you talk about who makes the best speaker are you talking at a certain price point or across the many quality levels of a manufacturer? I voted for PSB just from fact that their lower end speakers for the money are an excellent buy and at each quality level and upward price point you get value and quality sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I voted for PSB just from fact that their lower end speakers for the money are an excellent buy and at each quality level and upward price point you get value and quality sound.
I don't think it's a FACT.

I'm sure PSB fans agree, while others may disagree.

PSB fans may think that their $7500 MSRP T3 is a good value, but I disagree because I think there are speakers that are at least as good for $5,000 MSRP.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB fans may think that their $7500 MSRP T3 is a good value, but I disagree because I think there are speakers that are at least as good for $5,000 MSRP.
Dumb question... How can you agree/disagree if you haven't heard the T3 yet? Just curious. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dumb question... How can you agree/disagree if you haven't heard the T3 yet? Just curious. :eek:
I don't mean to offend.

Just my opinion or educated guess based on all the speakers I've heard and owned. I guess it's my logic.

Something like if A ~ B, and B assumes to be > C, then A must be > C, although I've never heard C.

No one is capable of listening to every single model.

I think it's a safe assumption that no PSB speaker is going to sound better than the Revel Salon 2, B&W 802 Diamond, KEF Reference, Linkwitz Orion, etc.

I've heard the PSB Imagine T2 & Synchrony One a few years ago. I thought the T2 didn't sound better than the Infinity P362, which I've commented on AH at the time of my audition. I thought the Synchrony One didn't sound as good as the RBH SX-6300.

I guess it's like how people compare speakers based on memory and not by volume-match blinded test side-by-side. People chose a "reference" sound like the sound of a live performance. Then people compare each speaker to this reference sound since most people will never get to do a side-by-side comparison of most speakers.

So just my gut feeling. No scientific proof.

I suppose it's possible that the new PSB T3 could sound better than the $25K B&W 800 Diamond, $25K KEF Blade, and $22K Revel Salon 2.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't mean to offend.

Just my opinion or educated guess based on all the speakers I've heard and owned. I guess it's my logic.

Something like if A = B, and B > C, then A must be > C, although I've never heard C.

No one is capable of listening to every single model.

I think it's a safe assumption that no PSB speaker is going to sound better than the Revel Salon 2, B&W 802 Diamond, KEF Reference, Linkwitz Orion, etc.
You know the words assume makes eh? I would not be that sure if I were you. No offense taken. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know the words assume makes eh? I would not be that sure if I were you. No offense taken. :)
We all make extrapolation and educated guess all the times based on the information we know.

I can only speak for myself.

I suppose someone could say $7500 speaker X sounds better than Salon2, 800D, Blade, Orion, Soundscape, etc, and as long as no one else has ever heard speaker X, no one else could dispute.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We all make extrapolation and educated guess all the times based on the information we know.

I can only speak for myself.

I suppose someone could say $7500 speaker X sounds better than Salon2, 800D, Blade, Orion, Soundscape, etc, and as long as no one else has ever heard speaker X, no one else could dispute.
There is no trickle down technology from a driver perspective from the T3 line to the ImagineX or T2 ImagineX series. These are all brand new drivers so you cannot extrapulate as you have no evidence to work with. The lineage in PSB has been remade and everything will trickle down from the T3s unless rumur comes true that PSB is releasing yet an even a higher series than the T3... (I hope that clears up my post as I left it a mess last night )

Last edited:
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I voted Harman, too much firepower with Revel, Infinity, JBL consumer and of course JBL Pro. I own both JBL's and Paradigms which are great too but Harman has so many great brands..

P

Peterc613

Enthusiast
$3,500
Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.5

3/16 solid Steel frame, round driver enclosures machined out of solid aluminum, 180 degree cylindrical ribbon tweeter, simple crossover, Dual voice coil on the woofer with taps for a second bass amplifier, WBT quality binding posts, welded steel rod frame with acoustically transparent cover, Made and assembled in USA.
Gallo ref 3.5 .jpg

P

Peterc613

Enthusiast
EP-X.jpg
$2,000
Emerald Physics EP-X

Compression driver concentric with open baffle midrange for point source image, excellent crossover, Time aligned woofer in cylindrical enclosure and non parallel ends to eliminate back wave. These sound as good as they look!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
View attachment 15820 $2,000
Emerald Physics EP-X

Compression driver concentric with open baffle midrange for point source image, excellent crossover, Time aligned woofer in cylindrical enclosure and non parallel ends to eliminate back wave. These sound as good as they look!
Then they must sound like crap because those speakers look god awful. But to each his own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis