which bookshelf speakers?

S

scaesic

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm looking for some advice on speakers to pair with my NAD 320. I'm new to the audiophile space, but have a strong grounding technically, as an engineer.

My only requirement is that the speakers should be bookshelf, as i am space limited. Ideally they would have a wooden finish. My budget is strictly limited to £1000.

I've been looking at Paradigm studio reference 20, but in this budget there are hundreds of alternatives, and i find it tough to differentiate without much experience.

What are your recommendations to get started and in getting great sound production from my NAD?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm looking for some advice on speakers to pair with my NAD 320. I'm new to the audiophile space, but have a strong grounding technically, as an engineer.

My only requirement is that the speakers should be bookshelf, as i am space limited. Ideally they would have a wooden finish. My budget is strictly limited to £1000.

I've been looking at Paradigm studio reference 20, but in this budget there are hundreds of alternatives, and i find it tough to differentiate without much experience.

What are your recommendations to get started and in getting great sound production from my NAD?
£1000? Are you converting your local currency to pounds or are you actually from UK? I get the vibe that in any case you are from the other side of Atlantic ocean :)
That brings the question - why in the world you want imported speakers ?

Your Nad is 40wpc/8ohm and depends on how loud you'd like to play you might need to limit the search to more efficient speakers

One of better bang for the buck speaker makes across the ocean is Wharfedale - I can't recommend specific model, since I'm not familiar with local prices/current model line positioning.

Other great UK speaker producers: Linn, ATC, Monitor Audio, KEF,Quad and Mordaunt-Short just to name a few good ones

S

scaesic

Audiophyte
Yup, uk. But I'm working on the assumption that i will buy from the internet as it will offer the best price. Although i will audition them in person first!n

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, uk. But I'm working on the assumption that i will buy from the internet as it will offer the best price. Although i will audition them in person first!n
Yeah you should have many options.

Just a heads-up, it is pretty poor etiquette to spend a lot of time auditioning with a local dealer, then go buy them online.

If you are "auditioning" at a big-box brick and mortar store, then that's a different story, not really a big deal to check them out and then order online. For the smaller specialty music shops, it really puts the hurt on them. You pay a bit more at a place like that, but the tradeoff is that you get to play with their equipment and speakers and be certain that you are making the right purchase.

If you have a shop that will let you spend all the time you want in there, check out all their gear (even stuff you tell them is way out of your range), and give you a no-hassle return policy if you get them home and they just don't play nice with your room, then the extra money is worth it. If everybody went and wasted that shop's time and then purchased online, the shop won't be there for long.

On the other hand, if it is a shop full of bozos, trying to upsell you on everything, and giving bad advice, then I would have no problem auditioning with them and then ordering online.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Still shipping speaking made from usa/canada would not in your interest...
Checkout the brands I mentioned. If you were in NA I'd whole heartily recommend Ascent 340SE - Check with them if shipping & taxes it could still be worth to since these can complete vs speakers 2-3 times their price.

F

flarkitah

Audiophyte
I've registered here just to reply to the OP :)

I've recently bought some Wharfedale Diamond kit (specifically the 10.2 bookshelves, SW150 sub, and 10CS center) and was treated to hearing the Jade 3 bookshelves. I strongly suggest that you audition these, as they're really decent and fit your budget.

S

scaesic

Audiophyte
Excellent, thanks man, I'll check them out. Appreciated!

If anyone else has any recommendations for alternative models then drop out in below.

CSG

CSG

Audiophyte
I think I'd check what the guys at whathifi.com suggest.

I'd look into what NHT is offering although you'd have to settle for Piano Black as they don't do wood finishes. NHT is a small outfit and doesn't get the attention many other companies do but they are solidly designed speakers.

Chris

(and no, I'm not Chris from NHT!)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I don't know if PSB speakers are available in the UK but if they are, I'd take a look at the PSB imagine B speakers. They're really nicely finished and, more importantly, sound great. I listened to quite a few bookshelf speakers before buying them. There are a lot of reviews of the imagine b online you can read. PSB is also the sister company of NAD. Oh and the NAD 320 is 4 ohm stable so it will work with a lot of different speakers (the PSB imagine B are 4 ohm speakers).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I'm new here!

Since you are in the UK, your choice is easy. It will cost you less than 1000 GBP. It is the ATC SCM 7. This is one of the best speakers you can buy in your price range no matter what the size. This speaker is a big seller in the UK and with good reason. I don't think you can get it on the internet.

All the drivers and enclosure are carefully made in Stroud Gloucestershire, not China. These are absolutely superb speakers and I will say absolutely the best in the world for your needs. You need look no further.

ATC is one of the most respected and revered loudspeaker companies in the world. Its owner Billy Woodman is widely regarded as one of the top, if not the top, loudspeaker transducer engineers in the world.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis