Which bookshelf speakers should I buy ?

L

Lombardo

Audiophyte
I'm planning to buy a Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver but it would be used in a small piece, so I really need to use bookshelf speakers but I have difficulty finding ones that have a good bass and that have the full range of frequencies needed. Using a subwoofer to compensate for the bass side is not an option. As the SC-61 is outputting 125 W per channel, I don't know which ones to buy.

One precision, I plan to use only two speakers.

Thanks for help !

Denis Morin
Québec City, Canada

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Very few bookshelf speakers are going to have "full range" capabilities, but there are some that are better in terms of bass. The REAL question is HOW MUCH? This is one of those things where a very small budget and the requirements won't blend.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
What is your budget?

Edit: see what happens when your son asks you something mid post... Mr. Garcia asks your question for you.:D

H

Hellcommute

Enthusiast
Focal has a pronounced bottom end in all of their speakers. They are also known for excellent tweeters. I would give them a listen. Have fun.

L

Lombardo

Audiophyte
Up to 1000$ for the speakers.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Up to 1000$
I haven't had the opportunity to audition these yet but they have a reputation for having very good bass extension for a bookshelf speaker.

Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker

Specifications
Typical In-Room Frequency Response39Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB
In-Room Sensitivity87dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter
Frequency Response (Anechoic)44Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB
Sensitivity (Anechoic)86.5dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter
Average Impedance8 ohms
Minimum Recommended Power45 watts
Maximum Continuous Power*200 watts
Maximum Short Term Peak Power*400 watts
CabinetExclusive V-LAM™ construction featuring vertically laminated bamboo. Bass reflex via flared rear port tube
Dimensions H x W x D**14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5"
Weight (each)20 lbs each
Shipping Weight (pair)43 lbs per pair
Tweeter(1) 26mm high-definition soft dome tweeter w/integrated elastomer wave guide, wide surround, low-viscosity magnetic fluid cooling, pole-piece damping chamber. Fully manufactured by SEAS of Norway
Woofer(1) proprietary 5.25” long throw mineral-filled polypropylene cone, non-resonant cast aluminum frame, copper shorting rings, low-inductance motor assembly, vented pole-piece and vented spider.
Connectors(2) gold plated all metal 5 way binding posts.
Inserts(1) ¼” x 20 inserts for mounting to stands
Warranty7 year parts and labor
*Unclipped peaks **Grille Off

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Philharmonitors look to have great extension as well, with 42Hz - 30kHz (+/- 2db) response, that is terrific for bookshelf speakers. The overall performance promises to be excellent, not just the bass extension, those measurements are very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you are planning on sticking the speakers on stands, you could use tower speakers without taking up any more floor space. You could then get deeper bass.

L

Lombardo

Audiophyte
I have to put them on a desk where is my computer and my other audio video components. I would prefer to have tower speakers but I'm limited in space.

Thanks !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis