When to Add External Amplification to an A/V Receiver

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I had no idea that AVRs had speaker impedance settings...

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had no idea that AVRs had speaker impedance settings...
I just checked the manual. The A820 has SP impedance settings for 8 ohms minimum and 6 ohms minimum.
Obviously, the Yamaha can drive speakers of lower impedance because not too many speakers quality :p :)

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My old Denon 4311 has a "Speaker Impedance" setting which defaults to 8Ω, but can also be set to either 6Ω or 4Ω as appropriate

I wonder what the settings do...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok just to jump in here for a sec, so you are actually saying your Salons don't need your ATI attached.:)
They do. I was saying they don't need 500-1000W amps.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
They do. I was saying they don't need 500-1000W amps.
ok just checking, for a moment there I thought you were getting rid of some of those AMP's :D

I wonder what the settings do...
you know Irv, I really don't know. I think I will pull out the old manual and see what it says. Well on page 98 in the Advanced version (speaker Config) all it notes is to set the impedance based on your speakers, 8 or 6 or 4 ohms. Not much else.

Last edited:
C

Checker9

Enthusiast
Sorry to jump-start an old thread but it seems like a suitable place for my question:

What type of A/C outlet and circuit do you need with a 5 channel amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-5?

Will it run properly and dynamically just plugged into a normal wall outlet?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry to jump-start an old thread but it seems like a suitable place for my question:

What type of A/C outlet and circuit do you need with a 5 channel amplifier like the Emotiva XPA-5?

It should be fine as not all channels will be driven to max at the exact same time. Plus, the content is dynamic, not steady state and there are large caps in the power supply to help out with some/most of the peaks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

According to their published specs the XPA-5's power supply transformer is not that big, only 1200 VA, that should be fine for a dedicated 15A outlet.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The two guys above are right. I have an XPA5 and have been running it plugged into a regular outlet for a year w/ no problem. In fact, it is the same outlet/circuit as my receiver, satellite receiver and bluray player.

R

rolldog

Audiophyte
I bought a receiver and an external amplifier a few weeks ago, and I was hoping someone could answer a question for me about the installation.

I have a Marantz SR7010 and I bought an Outlaw 5000 to run my FR, FL, C, SBR, and SBL through the amplifier and run my SL, SR, and my Klipsch Dolby Atmos add-ons front and rear using the amp in my receiver. I hooked the 5 speakers up to the Outlaw and ran each input on the amp to the pre-out on the receiver, and hooked all the other speakers up to the receiver. When I go into the settings of the receiver and go to amp assign, it doesn't show a configuration the way I have it hooked up. Here's the explanation on how it should be setup:

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR7010/NA/EN/DRDZSYasydxfyy.php#

The closest configuration it shows is 11.1 with 4 Dolby enabled speakers, and my front mains being powered by my amp along with Zone 2 & Zone 3. When I run the test tones for all the individual speakers, everything is correct, so does it matter if the amp assign doesn't match my setup? I'm assuming because I have the pre-outs hooked up, it recognizes this, and sends the correct signal to where it needs to go. Am I correct?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... I have an XPA5 and have been running it plugged into a regular outlet for a year w/ no problem. In fact, it is the same outlet/circuit as my receiver, satellite receiver and bluray player.
I have everything, the theater, that is audio and video projection, on one 15 A and no issues. But, I didn't try to test what point the breaker breaks. ;)
I like to be able to hear tomorrow and afterwards. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I bought a receiver and an external amplifier a few weeks ago, and I was hoping someone could answer a question for me about the installation.

I have a Marantz SR7010 and I bought an Outlaw 5000 to run my FR, FL, C, SBR, and SBL through the amplifier and run my SL, SR, and my Klipsch Dolby Atmos add-ons front and rear using the amp in my receiver. I hooked the 5 speakers up to the Outlaw and ran each input on the amp to the pre-out on the receiver, and hooked all the other speakers up to the receiver. When I go into the settings of the receiver and go to amp assign, it doesn't show a configuration the way I have it hooked up. Here's the explanation on how it should be setup:

The closest configuration it shows is 11.1 with 4 Dolby enabled speakers, and my front mains being powered by my amp along with Zone 2 & Zone 3. When I run the test tones for all the individual speakers, everything is correct, so does it matter if the amp assign doesn't match my setup? I'm assuming because I have the pre-outs hooked up, it recognizes this, and sends the correct signal to where it needs to go. Am I correct?

I would think that since you get tone on test tone select from all your speakers in the correct order, you are set.
Just level match them all.

D

Daniel Cruz

Audiophyte

Did you was able to resolve your issue? i have the same dilema. i have the marantz sr7010, right now my configuration is 9.1 but i going to upgrade it in order to have more power and to be able to add another set of dolby atmos speakers. i am planing to buy the marantz mm7055 so i could put my front towers and center speakers to it (this power amp handle 140 watts per channel) and then keep all my surrounds and dolby atmos sets on the sr7010(which handle 125 watts per channel). do i will be able to do the amp assign so i could have the set up of 11.1? my second option will be just tyo buy the marantz mm7025 and just put the front towers to it and the rest on the sr7010. did you was able to get you answer here?

D

Daniel Cruz

Audiophyte
I would think that since you get tone on test tone select from all your speakers in the correct order, you are set.
Just level match them all.
i saw you answer the question from rolldog, i replied to him to see if i could do the same thing, here what i post to him:
Did you was able to resolve your issue? i have the same dilema. i have the marantz sr7010, right now my configuration is 9.1 but i going to upgrade it in order to have more power and to be able to add another set of dolby atmos speakers. i am planing to buy the marantz mm7055 so i could put my front towers and center speakers to it (this power amp handle 140 watts per channel) and then keep all my surrounds and dolby atmos sets on the sr7010(which handle 125 watts per channel). do i will be able to do the amp assign so i could have the set up of 11.1? my second option will be just to buy the marantz mm7025 and just put the front towers to it and the rest on the sr7010. did you was able to get you answer here?

will i able to do any of this? when i call marantz they tell me not, that i can't assign the front speakers from the marantz sr7010 to an external power amplifier so i could free the sr7010 to put another set of dolby atmos speakers to it. in other words they telling me to keep my 9 speakers i already have on the sr7010 and put the extra set of dolby atmos speakers on the external power amplifier. i don't want to put them on a power amplifier that handle 140 watts when i could keep it on the sr7010 that handle 125 watts. if i am getting an external power amplifier i would like for it to handle the main speakers (front and center). by the way everything is just for main zone (zone 1, not zone 2 or 3). i want to be able to have the set up of 11.1 where all speakers are processed at the same time. please advice.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

i saw you answer the question from rolldog, i replied to him to see if i could do the same thing, here what i post to him:
Did you was able to resolve your issue? i have the same dilema. i have the marantz sr7010, right now my configuration is 9.1 but i going to upgrade it in order to have more power and to be able to add another set of dolby atmos speakers. i am planing to buy the marantz mm7055 so i could put my front towers and center speakers to it (this power amp handle 140 watts per channel) and then keep all my surrounds and dolby atmos sets on the sr7010(which handle 125 watts per channel). do i will be able to do the amp assign so i could have the set up of 11.1? my second option will be just to buy the marantz mm7025 and just put the front towers to it and the rest on the sr7010. did you was able to get you answer here?

will i able to do any of this? when i call marantz they tell me not, that i can't assign the front speakers from the marantz sr7010 to an external power amplifier so i could free the sr7010 to put another set of dolby atmos speakers to it. in other words they telling me to keep my 9 speakers i already have on the sr7010 and put the extra set of dolby atmos speakers on the external power amplifier. i don't want to put them on a power amplifier that handle 140 watts when i could keep it on the sr7010 that handle 125 watts. if i am getting an external power amplifier i would like for it to handle the main speakers (front and center). by the way everything is just for main zone (zone 1, not zone 2 or 3). i want to be able to have the set up of 11.1 where all speakers are processed at the same time. please advice.
I am not sure what you want to do, 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.
The marantz has 9 processed channels. So, you cannot do 7.1.4 that needs 11 channels of processing.
Not sure what Marantz was thinking.

D

Daniel Cruz

Audiophyte
I am not sure what you want to do, 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.
The marantz has 9 processed channels. So, you cannot do 7.1.4 that needs 11 channels of processing.
Not sure what Marantz was thinking.
i want to do 11 channel. the marantz sr7010 could process 11 channels at the same time if i could get a power amplifier for 2 extra channels. i want to do 7.1.4. that why i am asking if i get the mm7025 if i could put the 2 front speakers to it and keep the 4 dolby atmos speakers into the sr7010. (instead of what marantz is telling me to keep the front speakers in the sr 7010 with a set of dolby atmos speakers and to put second set of dolby atmos speakers into the mm7025).the mm7055 is another option but that one is 5 channels so maybe i could put the 2 front towers the center speaker and 2 of the surround speakers into it and put the 2 sets of dolby into the sr7010 but i don't know if that possible.

D

Daniel Cruz

Audiophyte

did you was able to do your configuration of the 7 speakers plus the 4 dolby atmos = 11 speakers using the sr7010 and the outlaw 5000? i want to do the same, marantz mm7055 which is also a 5 channel pa cost like 1,200 and is 140 watts but only at 2 channel driven and i see that the outlaw 5000 is also 5 channels pa 120 watts per channel and is all channel driven and is 1/2 the price of the marantz pa. i want to do the same as you so do it works? i will like to know to see if i could get that same pa.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis