What's Your Home Theater Budget break down? (Here's Mine)

J

jay21112

Audioholic
So, I bought my house 5+ years ago, and since then most of my free time and spare change has gone into building my home theater. I'm in the middle of adding 2 more subs (Thanks to Funk Audio), and I decided to calculate what my hobby has cost me. It turns out I could have been driving a pretty nice car had I spent my money on that (let's not get crazy here, I'm talking maybe a gently used Corvette - with no extras....if I knew the sales guy...and I was buying it in the middle of winter...and...and...).

Anyway, dollars mean nothing because everyone has a different income and spends their money differently. The interesting thing was what happened when I did percentages. For insurance purposes (God forbid there is a fire or a robbery) I keep very detailed records on everything I own. So, I looked at what percentage of the total amount of money I've spent on my theater was spent in different areas. Here it is:

32% Speakers (Speakers, Subwoofers, Transducers, etc..)
15% Electronics (TV, Receiver, Player, etc...): 15%
14% Power (Power Cleaners, Voltage Stabilizers, Extra Circuits and electrical wiring, etc..)
09% Cables (Video, Interconnect, Speaker, Power, Extension Cords)
11% Platforms, Stands, Isolation components
06% Acoustics (Absorbers, Diffusors, Curtains, Insulation, Doors)
01% Cooling (Fans)
11% Decor (Seating, Lighting, Cable Hiders, Tables, Refrigerators, etc...)
1% Accessories (Game accessories, remotes, etc..)
<1% Calibration (Meters, Discs, Software, etc..)

Going into this I never said "I need to spend this amount of money on x and this on y, and this on z." I just slowly bought what I thought I needed and kept going. And what you see above is the result. How does your stand up?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll try to whip up some numbers later, but for me this is going to be a little difficult. I have a heavy dose of hand me down furniture and some of my other equipment, so the numbers are going to be a little weird. When I get my numbers together I'll probably split the TV out from the rest of the electronics as to me they are separate categories.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Off the top of my head I've spent $4200 or so on speakers and subs, $1500 on a/v specific furniture, I think around $300 or so on power, and about $4500 or so on electronics. This is just the stuff that's still in my set up.

40% speakers/subs
14.28% furniture
2.85% power
42.85% electronics

Edit: forgot to include about $1500 for my tv. And I didn't include cables as that's such a small part of the budget. Updated numbers and percentages.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
53% on speakers/subs

47% on electronics

But I don't include my TV since I got that way before, nor am I including the projector and screen. I'm also not including the speaker stands I'm making or the component stand that was built for me as a gift or the amp that was given to me as a gift. Then there's the pair of surrounds that were graciously loaned to me and the center channel speaker that was more of trade than a purchase. Plus I didn't account for the gear that's been bought and sold.

Basically I have no idea what the exact number is just a rough estimate. It gets tricky when trying to assign value to stuff that you didn't exactly buy, then the stuff you bought and sold. I know I came out a little ahead on some stuff and took a loss on some other stuff. I'm happy with what I have now so I figure I broke even on the rest.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
40% - Speakers/subs
20% - AVR & OPPO
20% - TV's
10% - Furniture
8% - Room Treatment (Real Trap - AcoustiMAC)
2% - Cables, Remotes,

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
32% TV (Vizio 37")
41% Speakers/Receivers (Onkyo HTiB, Ascends, HSU, and Denon)
20% Sources (Xbox and BR)
5% Remote (Harmony One)
2% Cables/Wires

My theater is currently my living room and my furniture was given to me so I didn't include any of it..

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Living area
60% speakers and subs
10% electronics
30% display
witch brings the total to just under 9,500
bedroom
40% speakers subs
40% display
20% gear
$4,500

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think mine is 80% speakers/subs, 19% electronics, 1% cables/accessories.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
HT Setup

44% Speakers
32% TV
16% AVR + AMP
6% Consoles
2% Other

Steve

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think mine is 80% speakers/subs, 19% electronics, 1% cables/accessories.
well it would depend on which "system = speakers " you would using at a given time, unless you happen to utilize all of your speakers for HT :rolleyes: so actually you could in your case end up with multiple percentages :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
My breakdown is:

Speakers/Subwoofer: 54%
Receiver/Amplifier/Sources: 18%
TV: 18%
Misc: (Wiring, Fans, Calibration Tools, Etc): 10%

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
80% speakers/20% everything else seems about right for my junk, too.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Home office: 100% speakers :)
Living room: 99.96% TV+PS3 0.04% Wireless headphones (no speakers :()
Mobile kit: 20% electronics 80% headphones

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis