What to do with old TV sets and other equipment ?

B

BoomDog28

Enthusiast
I got a 52" LCD Sony Bravia, about 5 years old with black lines down each side of screen.
I got a 32" LCD Vizio, about 7 years old, popping audio from HDMI port.
I've replaced these units and don't really have any use for them. I've been told to check to see how much repairs would cost to save then but I'm beyond that point and just looking to unleash them.
My question is what does everyone do with this type of equipment. Do you try to sell as-is on internet, trade in somewhere for something in return, or simply throw on curb?

What about other stuff like old laptops? I got probably 3 of them in a closet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I got a 52" LCD Sony Bravia, about 5 years old with black lines down each side of screen.
I've replaced these units and don't really have any use for them. I've been told to check to see how much repairs would cost to save then but I'm beyond that point and just looking to unleash them.
My question is what does everyone do with this type of equipment. Do you try to sell as-is on internet, trade in somewhere for something in return, or simply throw on curb?

You take it to an electronic recycling center. It is illegal to put it in the trash or on the curb. Very little modern gear is worth the cost of repair, or even able to be repaired.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

For computers, you could place and ad (or look for one) regarding used laptops- if any sensitive data was on the hard drive, remove and retrieve it using a cable or dock, if possible. If it's not retrievable, destroy the drive- people who are motivated and have too much free time like to mess with these.

Tube TVs are hard to get rid of but if they work at all, someone may want it for an exercise room, etc.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Check with your local Best Buy. Depending on the store they may take it for free. Some recycling centers charge a fee, so I always check there first.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Things that work you can throw on Craigslist. A TV, for example, with no audio, could still be a good second monitor for watching 'the game' in a basement/sports bar setup. I would use something like that where I feed 5 or 6 displays different video signals, but run the audio elsewhere, so having a TV without any audio wouldn't matter to me.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
We moved our 1980 Sony Trinitron 19" with real stereo speakers and cherry wood case to our guest bedroom. Still perfect. Never had a repair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis