What should I compare to the ELAC Uni-Fi?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of the Uni-Fi B5's on order...supposed to ship on 4/30/16.

I do not intend to keep these unless they are truly amazing, but I like the concept of the concentric design and if some of the goody from the LS50 can be had, they might be keepers.

My problem is that the fairest competition I have available are the AA monitors ($195). I hope the Uni-Fi ($500) to be a decidedly superior speaker, and there is not much benefit to saying a $500 speaker is better than a $200 speaker (even if it is a very good $200 speaker). I will compare them so anyone who has the AA's will know what they would be getting if they were to switch to the Uni-Fi's.

What are your ideas on speakers to compete?
It needs to be something I can buy and return without cost (like via Amazon Prime). I think Crutchfield also has an easy return policy, so that would work.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ascend CMT340SE? Can't think of anything off the top of my head in the price range that's new that would be comparable.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
As far as KEF goes, the Q100 is the most direct competitor in terms of price, but the Q300 is probably closer in terms of output/extension. Between those two, I'd stick with the Q100 if you're going to test with a sub, as it's generally regarded as the better overall speaker.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ascend CMT340SE? Can't think of anything off the top of my head in the price range that's new that would be comparable.
That would be a great option, but, Ascend would not reimburse me for return shipping if I decided not to keep them!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
NHT Classic 3
$900 a pair from NHT and $800/pr at Amazon.
I'd like to keep the pricing closer because if the NHT's (at 60% more expensive) beat the Uni-Fi's, that isn't much to write about. I'd rather keep the price at $650 or less. If the Uni-fi proves to be outstanding (performance clearly above it's cost), I might then go for something more expensive.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops, fought price for for pair
Must be some other nht at $500/pr

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As far as KEF goes, the Q100 is the most direct competitor in terms of price, but the Q300 is probably closer in terms of output/extension. Between those two, I'd stick with the Q100 if you're going to test with a sub, as it's generally regarded as the better overall speaker.
My main objective is to identify a pair of speakers that is generally considered a leader in this price class, IOW a "reference standard" for the $500-$650 range (could go cheaper, but it would need to be a speaker with a stellar reputation).
I generally don't involve subs when I evaluate a speaker, so the Q300 is a good option unless someone thinks of a speaker that has a better reputation in the price range (with no-risk policy).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My main objective is to identify a pair of speakers that is generally considered a leader in this price class, IOW a "reference standard" for the $500-$650 range (could go cheaper, but it would need to be a speaker with a stellar reputation).
I generally don't involve subs when I evaluate a speaker, so the Q300 is a good option unless someone thinks of a speaker that has a better reputation in the price range (with no-risk policy).
Kurt, how about the Chane A1.4's and/or the A2.4's once they are available? Both would be within your guidelines. Jon told me they will not be in for a couple of months though. He may be willing to pay shipping back. It looks like shipping to you would be free once they are available. I would be more than happy to discuss it with him. Jon is a very nice guy.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, how about the Chane A1.4's and/or the A2.4's once they are available? Both would be within your guidelines. Jon told me they will not be in for a couple of months though. He may be willing to pay shipping back. It looks like shipping to you would be free once they are available. I would be more than happy to discuss it with him. Jon is a very nice guy.

Cheers,

Phil
Nice thought, but I will have 30 days to return the Uni-fi's Which should arrive next week). If they are "just" very good, I don't need anymore speakers, and will return them. If they live up to the hype (say if they seem in the same league as the SVS Ultras), I will keep them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If they are anything like the KEF Uni-Q that Andrew Jones had a hand in designing, no contest. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice thought, but I will have 30 days to return the Uni-fi's Which should arrive next week). If they are "just" very good, I don't need anymore speakers, and will return them. If they live up to the hype (say if they seem in the same league as the SVS Ultras), I will keep them.
I see. Well, if the hype is true I think that I will also order me a set and give them a try. Being better than the Ultras is not going to be an easy feat. But, I guess it is possible. Price does NOT always preclude quality. Sure will be interesting to see though. I know that I am very curious. ;);););)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If they are anything like the KEF Uni-Q that Andrew Jones had a hand in designing, no contest. :)
Ken I am so ready to check out the KEF speakers. Maybe I can start a thread over at AVS to see if anyone close by has them. It certainly would be worth a try I suppose, no? Really like that interview w/AJ discussing his new Uni Fi line. His passion for what he does is contagious!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, I hate to inform you but I read on AVS that the Uni Fi UB5 is being pushed back just a tad bit. Was trying to find where I read that, but to no avail. It was not a long wait. Just thought that I would mention it to you.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've listened to the Q100. I set them up myself in a large, treated listening room with plenty of power and though they imaged great, they didn't blow me away. I'd have to listen to them again maybe, and probably in my own setup. Based on KEW's opinion on them, I may give these a try too, since I've been pretty interested in hearing the Uni-Fi config.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, I hate to inform you but I read on AVS that the Uni Fi UB5 is being pushed back just a tad bit. Was trying to find where I read that, but to no avail. It was not a long wait. Just thought that I would mention it to you.

Cheers,

Phil
Amazon currently says "Release date 4/30/16" not sure how that relates to ship date!
Just have to wait and see what happens. Won't order Q300's until I have ELAC in hand.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
How bout the XTZ 95.24? I think you're still on the hook for return shipping with their buy-and-try program, but they hint that shipping is discounted somehow.

Edit: Also, SVS offers 45-day in-home trial, and they even pick up return shipping. They've got several Prime bookshelf speakers in their Outlet for around $500 / pr.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Amazon currently says "Release date 4/30/16" not sure how that relates to ship date!
Just have to wait and see what happens. Won't order Q300's until I have ELAC in hand.
Where do you plan to get the Q300's? I noticed Acc4less had them. Going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Sounds like a good plan.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis