What reciever to buy?

J

JaM1337

Audiophyte
I recently purchased (Recieved today) the Athena Point 5 MKII setup ($199 from Amazon) and am probably going to purchase the Athena P4000 Sub to go along with it and I'm still looking for a reciever. My setup is probably going to be used equal parts Music/Movie/Gaming. I would really like to stay under $500 but am willing to go around $600 if need be. I am most likely leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-1015 but I have heard from someone I know that Pio's don't boast the best Music Quality. My main two options are the Pio VSX-1015 as I stated and the Denon AVR-2105. I also have been looking at some Yammy's but I really think I'm going to be needing 3 Component Inputs. I'd also like 3 Optical Inputs minimum also. If anyone can help me out I'd apreciate it alot. I'm also open to different recievers other than the 2 I listed if anyone thinks I can get better. Thanks

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Try these four brands

JaM1337 said:
I recently purchased (Recieved today) the Athena Point 5 MKII setup ($199 from Amazon) and am probably going to purchase the Athena P4000 Sub to go along with it and I'm still looking for a reciever. My setup is probably going to be used equal parts Music/Movie/Gaming. I would really like to stay under $500 but am willing to go around $600 if need be. I am most likely leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-1015 but I have heard from someone I know that Pio's don't boast the best Music Quality. My main two options are the Pio VSX-1015 as I stated and the Denon AVR-2105. I also have been looking at some Yammy's but I really think I'm going to be needing 3 Component Inputs. I'd also like 3 Optical Inputs minimum also. If anyone can help me out I'd apreciate it alot. I'm also open to different recievers other than the 2 I listed if anyone thinks I can get better. Thanks
That's a great budget. If the following have 3 component ins, these may prove to be a better deal. They're all on ebay for under $600 right now.
Yamaha 1500 or 5890
Denon AVR 2805
Pioneer Elite 54TX
Harman Kardon HK435; 635; or 630 (the 635 may be slightly higher)
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/receiver_Home-Audio_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfrtsZ100QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ14969

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Buckeyefan 1 said:
That's a great budget. If the following have 3 component ins, these may prove to be a better deal. They're all on ebay for under $600 right now.
Yamaha 1500 or 5890
Denon AVR 2805
Pioneer Elite 54TX
Harman Kardon HK435; 635; or 630 (the 635 may be slightly higher)
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/receiver_Home-Audio_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfrtsZ100QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ14969
The Denon 2805 has 3 components. The Yammys and the Pioneer Elite 54TX do not. Not sure about the HKs.
If you looking for 3 components I think the 2805 is the best of the bunch.
But just a thought....... If your TV has 2 component inputs that does give you a total of 3.
Probabaly best to go with what sounds best and not limit yourself because of the video switching,.. WAF,... convenience thing...........sorry, I ramble.
I'm just not a fan of the video switching concept.

J

JaM1337

Audiophyte
Wow....I went out today and purchased a reciever without looking on the forums yet today...Guess what reciever I came home with? The Denon AVR-2805 which was on clearance at Sound Advice for $650 (Full $200 Off). Pretty weird that the one reciever both of you suggest I end up getting...hehe. I have to say, I am in love with it right now even though I only had time to set up my two front's and the Center Channel. I also purchased the Athena P4000 Sub and the Sony DVP-NC80V 5-DVD/CD Changer. Even without the two rears set up and rather makeshift speaker placement the sound is great. Overall, I blew my budget by $300 but I think it was worth it in the end.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
JaM1337 said:
Wow....I went out today and purchased a reciever without looking on the forums yet today...Guess what reciever I came home with? The Denon AVR-2805 which was on clearance at Sound Advice for $650 (Full $200 Off). Pretty weird that the one reciever both of you suggest I end up getting...hehe. I have to say, I am in love with it right now even though I only had time to set up my two front's and the Center Channel. I also purchased the Athena P4000 Sub and the Sony DVP-NC80V 5-DVD/CD Changer. Even without the two rears set up and rather makeshift speaker placement the sound is great. Overall, I blew my budget by $300 but I think it was worth it in the end.
Great purchase(s). That system will give you many, many years of enjoyment. The Denon is very flexible. Make sure to read the manual several times. There's so much to learn. Don't stay up too late! ;)

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
sounds like you made a great purchase, enjoy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis