What receivers to research?

S

strammer

Enthusiast
Hello, New guy here....

I'm looking for some receiver buying advice.

Right now I plan to have a 5.1 setup in a dedicated theater / music area (~15 x 20 or so could be smaller I haven't framed it yet or confirmed with my better half just how much room I can use). I will have Emptek E55ti towers, and R56ci center. I will start with Def Tech 450 monitors for rears. Sub is a Hsu VTF2-mk4. I have the speakers & Sub. No Receiver.

I like listening to music while I read or just immerse myself in it. Some of my taste includes Classic Rock (60's / 70's CCR, Zeppelin, Queen, Eagles), Folk Stuff (John Denver, Jim Croce, Johnny Cash), Billy Joel, 90's alternative (Nirvana, STP, etc...), Classical Music, and most other stuff in smaller doses. I really want clear sounding music, not necessarily loud.

I plan to also watch movies. My kids might be scared of some big pounding bass, but I'd like to have the option of some hit you in the chest stuff.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on a Receiver from those experienced with what might work well with this setup. As the specs I am reading for the emptek are 6 Ohm resistance most receivers ratings are at 8 Ohm, and I have been reading that 2 channel W outputs on receiver can be totally not representative of 5 or 7 channel outputs...

I really don't have a budget yet. So I'm open to all price points. I am also thinking of expanding down the road, and don't know if you guys think the receiver should handle the possible expansions, or how long you typically keep a receiver. I plan to use this thread as a starting point to narrow my research.

Optional
Down the road (12 -18 months)
Expand to 7.1 setup in theater room with EmpTek Surrounds and Bookshelfs, move Def Techs across the house to use as a 2.0 system (with same A/V receiver).
If I inherited a large sum of money, The best speakers I would buy are B & W CM10's. I don't have super expensive tastes, but It would be nice if you think the receiver will last, that it could power those too instead of the EmpTeks. Even though that will probably not ever happen.
Also 12-18 months, possibility of 3 TV's powered. 2 would have same input and 1 I would want to have a different input (so basically 2 different outputs at the same time, but 3 total outputs). 2 of those TV's would be no bigger than 32".
I prefer Bluetooth & Wireless, but not 100% required.
I would prefer to have separate calibrations for Movies / Music.
I don't know if any receivers let you set up mic's in multiple listening locations to balance the optimization (specifically for movies).
I would like Dolby Atmos capability, but no plans at this time to use it anytime soon.
I'd like to use Tablet / Phone / IPad as a remote, definitely not required.

Sorry for the novel, and if any more info would help you to point me in the right direction please let me know.

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
No responses yet? Well, I'll go.

The general opinion around here seems to be "it doesn't really matter". In your small room, power won't be big issue. Pretty much any AVR will have at least 50 W and 5.1 surround. Decent brands according to my research are: Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz.

I just got a refurbished Marantz SR5008 at Accessories4less.com. It's not the most recent (5009), but it has what I want, and Marantz has a reputation for being "musical".

Other considerations are the room correction software. Marantz and Denon use Audyssey. Yamaha and Onkyo use their own proprietary systems, which some reviewers think are not as good.

My dream amp is Anthem MVR 310. It doesn't have the most recent connectivity (no HDMI 2.0, for example), but it's an "audiophile" AVR for a relatively reasonable $1200. And Anthem's ARC room correction gets the highest marks from reviewers. Still, I coulnd't see spending that much when I could get the Marantz for $400.

Hope this is useful.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I really like my Yamaha AVR, and many others recommend them. Marantz and Denon are well thought of too. Peace and goodwill.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis