What Player should I Look at??

S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
I’m in the market for a new Blu-ray player soon!! I would like to get a Oppo 103 but up here in Canada it will cost me $800.00 that is for the “standard” one..YIKES!!So my question is what player will come the closest in video & audio quailty to the 103(my avr is a Yamaha RXA-2050 so it has the Sabre dac’s in it already). Not going 4k until my Panasonic 55ST60 dies!!Thanks for your help!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bluray players work as well as the device decoding the digital information for audio and video....your avr or tv. The player features & connectivity that something like an Oppo have may be useful, but if you are using hdmi connections to other gear pretty much any player will be just fine. I prefer Sony personally (use a PS3 in my main setup, S5100s in two others).

Disclaimer: I use my bluray players primarily for bluray discs, some streaming but no SACD yet (PS3 can't handle, the others can).

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Marantz UD5007 is great player as well, should be little cheaper than Oppo in Canada with pretty close same performance. How ever if you dont need SACD capabilities you should be fine with cheaper Sony players like BDP-S4500 that should be somewhere between 100 to 200$.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have two Sonys and really like them. Peace and goodwill.

M

mr sarnoff

Audioholic Intern
PS 3 is considered a reference Blu ray player I use it on my Samsung 64f8500 reference quality plasma and 2015 Sony 4K Sony Triluminos HDR TV, the Sony Wide Color Gamut 4K HDR TV can stretch well beyond a 5 star Blu Ray anyway .

Vudu HDX 1080p streaming matches a five star blu ray disc , you can redeem some titles DRM redemption codes there or around the web and stream them for free forever or buy them there or also rip DVD to spinning metal like many of us .

I play my media drives straight into the Sony 4K HDR TV using Android Kodi up to 4K HDR .

1080p BD are yesterday's news noting Vudu HDX is the steam of choice for 1080p DRM content you own in the cloud.

You don't need to drop more than $99.00 for a very decent Samsung or Sony 1080p BD player in 2017 anthing beyond that is foolish .

A used or new PS3 ( ~80.00 used or refurbished and ~159.00 new ) is as good as it gets albeit they load slower than molasses and you may want to get a regular remote for one outside of gaming (~$20.00) but they are cheap and like a modern BD player are good 1080p IPTV streamers and you can game on them at 1080p well too , my PS3 slim is ~7 years old used frequently for rental DVD /BD play by the family on 4 TV's here outside of my Sony occasionally and doing well .Owned media is on spinning metal here or at Vudu HDX and so on.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis