What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Additional ram would not make it any faster. Ssd would by making windows work faster programs faster etc.
Searching for data on ssd is night and day vs regular hdd.
Thanks I will now look into the Samsung ssd that you recommended. Might as well do it right and get a good one. Appreciate the info!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Added this to my collection

Watched this one last night. It was better than expected. Oh, did I mention just how lovely Seline is. Just seeing her kicking a$$ is worth the price of admission in my book! Great choice!

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love every single Underworld movie. I love seeing Seline evolving with every movie.:D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks I will now look into the Samsung ssd that you recommended. Might as well do it right and get a good one. Appreciate the info!

Phil
FWIW, some SSDs come bundled with software that make it easy to migrate your existing Windows installation from your OEM installed drive. I ordered a Crucial SSD for work a year or so ago, and it came bundled with a license for Acronis True Image HD. The software is wizard driven and made it easy to clone my platter drive to the solid state, despite the fact that the drives are different capacity. It handled resizing the partitions automatically, and after switching the cables on the two drives I was immediately able to boot to SSD and format the platter drive to use as a destination for Windows Backup / shadow copies.

Here's another tip. Go with the largest capacity you can. The larger the capacity, the longer the drive will last. Solid state drives have a finite amount of writes they can perform for each chunk of space before wearing out. The drive ought to be able to manage its writes so that they occur sequentially from the beginning to the end of free space as needed, then start over so that it wears evenly. The larger the drive, the longer it will take to loop back to the beginning. See this page for more info and useful SSD tips.

Last edited:
S

Shaun_611

Audiophyte
I see. But, I do not play games at all. So, would the Samsung 850 EVO make it perform faster? Will be sure to check it out. BTW, adding RAM won't make it faster too? Have not even turned on my new Dell just yet. Have a new desk that is more studio friendly in white. I know, but it was on clearance.....LOL!!! Here is a link to my new desk:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/656589/Z-Line-Designs-Mobile-Workstation-Desk/

Just need to get it together and then set it all up. Guess the white does not look too bad. Rather had it in black though. But, for $108 I am not complaining. Have lots to do and I am moving so slow. Not a good combination.

Phil
I recently upgrade the Harddrive on my laptop from a (original)Toshiba 500 GB 5400 RPM to a WD 1TB 7200 RPM hybrid, not only does it boot faster and most used programs run quicker, I was able to double the capacity for less than 100.00. Seriously considered a SSD, but for capacity vs cost, I am glad I went with the hybrid.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I love every single Underworld movie. I love seeing Seline evolving with every movie.:D
Great minds think alike.....Seline=loads and loads of sexiness! Heck, might just watch it again just to get another look at her. Just saying.........:eek::eek::eek::eek:!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, some SSDs come bundled with software that make it easy to migrate your existing Windows installation from your OEM installed drive. I ordered a Crucial SSD for work a year or so ago, and it came bundled with a license for Acronis True Image HD. The software is wizard driven and made it easy to clone my platter drive to the solid state, despite the fact that the drives are different capacity. It handled resizing the partitions automatically, and after switching the cables on the two drives I was immediately able to boot to SSD and format the platter drive to use as a destination for Windows Backup / shadow copies.

Here's another tip. Go with the largest capacity you can. The larger the capacity, the longer the drive will last. Solid state drives have a finite amount of writes they can perform for each chunk of space before wearing out. The drive ought to be able to manage its writes so that they occur sequentially from the beginning to the end of free space as needed, then start over so that it wears evenly. The larger the drive, the longer it will take to loop back to the beginning. See this page for more info and useful SSD tips.
Thanks for the info. I have lots to learn about ssd. Will be sure to check out the link that you provided. Appreciate the tips!

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Except for the one where it wasn't Kate lol.

I recently upgrade the Harddrive on my laptop from a (original)Toshiba 500 GB 5400 RPM to a WD 1TB 7200 RPM hybrid, not only does it boot faster and most used programs run quicker, I was able to double the capacity for less than 100.00. Seriously considered a SSD, but for capacity vs cost, I am glad I went with the hybrid.
I have a hybrid in my PS4. For frequently used stuff it is faster, but overall it isn't as fast as a SSD, though that benefit will come more on a PC with data heavy software.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A bit confused here regarding a hybrid drive. Have lots to learn here. Never been much of a computer guy. Perhaps, I am old school and in need for an upgrade info/research wise. Thanks for the info.

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
She was, but she isn't Kate.
Yeah, I agree. The newest one has a lot of eye candy in it. Sure seen a lot of sexy ladies that I sure wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers......LOL!!!! Sure not over the hill just yet....................LOL!!!! :D:D:D!

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Unpack all that stuff already! :p
Working on it, but I just do not move as fast as I used to. Making room is the hard part. Space is at a premium here. Wished you lived closer I would let you give me a hand.......LOL!!!! :D:p:D!

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My first TV/audio stand since I became a single man 19 years ago. I let the ex take everything she wanted except for the kids. It's just been them and I. We mostly did outdoor stuff. Slowly fixing this place up now that the boys are on their own and I don't have a house full of dippy teenagers eating all my food and wearing out my stuff.

Problem was, I have a big honking CRT TV. The last one Samsung made, IIRC. Still works great and I don't really watch it. It's here for the grandkids, mostly. It was the first TV I bought as a single man. The other stand was too small for the TV and was a total ghetto rig. This is a step up. Almost DIY'd one but just couldn't get enthused enough and I don't like the materials options at HD or Lowes and didn't want to buy whole sheets of cabinet ply that is an actual .75".

upload_2017-4-28_3-39-23.png

I thought it was wood shelves. Listed construction as wood. Turns out the shelves are glass on steel frames while the legs and back are solid wood at least. Still, it's sturdy as all get out and the top shelf is rated at 175# and fits the TV nicely.

Now I just need some throw rugs and perhaps build a subwoofer/coffee table if the placement works out that way.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis