What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good information. The links you posted on my 'build more' thread got me looking. One of the kits they offered said; "Not for beginners." That made me look into the beginner stuff. It was intriguing to read about.

My boss is an electronics engineer for a major manufacturer/contractor. When I told him what I was doing, he gave me a couple LM3875's, a soldering pen, a lighted magnifying lamp, and said to make a list of other components I might need, including transformers, valve parts, LED's, whatever. I guess he used to service his and his friends TV's and such back in the day as well so he has stuff. . . ."laying around."

I have no idea what type of amp the one I bought is, or what exactly "rails" are so your guess is better than mine. I did a little more reading last night on power supplies themselves. I remember a bit how transformers and rectifiers work so I wasn't totally lost other than perhaps the terminology.

Either way, it looks like something I may enjoy doing, at least once or twice. I like the idea of designing my own enclosure. With my welding skills and the materials I have on hand, I could easily make my own heat sinks, which might be kind of unique to this hobby.
Transformer, Chassis, Heatsinks: These are typically ~80% of the ENTIRE COST of an electronics build! So, if you can build the Chassis and Heatsinks yourself (and obviously YOU can), then the value proposition goes up significantly for DIY electronics!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Greetings and Salutations. I bring here the KZ ATE cheap earphones with nice sq for the price. Seriously NOW Ha.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
While it is possible that I may have tripped over a vertigo ladder when listening to the MediaBridge speakers -- I am now in the recovery mode. I am taking one more journey, as I have bought the JungleRoc speakers. With that name, I could not pass them up.o_O

They do come in mirror image pairs -- with a 5 part crossover network on a separate pc board -- and are 14" h x 7 1/8" w x 11" d -- with banana plugs for hook up. This is no cheapy 3/8" chip board box -- however, with the door knock test they are still hollow sounding. And they also come with bumper feet that you screw into the pre-drilled holes on the bottom. This is a lot for the current $49 a pair on closeout.

I am still listening to them -- the bass is a little generous, however they do sound nice and decent -- and they sound like that they would overall measure decent. It is possible that I may send them out for some measurements.

I also got them on over-night delivery - well, I am 4 hours away.:cool:

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While it is possible that I may have tripped over a vertigo ladder when listening to the MediaBridge speakers -- I am now in the recovery mode. I am taking one more journey, as I have bought the JungleRoc speakers. With that name, I could not pass them up.o_O

They do come in mirror image pairs -- with a 5 part crossover network on a separate pc board -- and are 14" h x 7 1/8" w x 11" d -- with banana plugs for hook up. This is no cheapy 3/8" chip board box -- however, with the door knock test they are still hollow sounding. And they also come with bumper feet that you screw into the pre-drilled holes on the bottom. This is a lot for the current $49 a pair on closeout.

I am still listening to them -- the bass is a little generous, however they do sound nice and decent -- and they sound like that they would overall measure decent. It is possible that I may send them out for some measurements.

I also got them on over-night delivery - well, I am 4 hours away.:cool:

I think you need your own "what is zieglj01 listening to now?" lol.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think you need your own "what is zieglj01 listening to now?" lol.
That could be an option -- however, I do not know what the winner would get yet.:)

However, I will be listening to another set of JungleRoc's today, as the set I have came with 1 speaker having handling or shipping damage -- he quickly sent out another set. That is good customer service to me. It is still possible that I may send them out for measurements.

The Snell K7's and Harman Kardon Ten's will be back up soon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
More
That could be an option -- however, I do not know what the winner would get yet.:)

However, I will be listening to another set of JungleRoc's today, as the set I have came with 1 speaker having handling or shipping damage -- he quickly sent out another set. That is good customer service to me. It is still possible that I may send them out for measurements.

The Snell K7's and Harman Kardon Ten's will be back up soon.
More of an ongoing "Z's speaker of the week" thread lol.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Greetings and Salutations. I bring here the KZ ATE cheap earphones with nice sq for the price. Seriously NOW Ha.

Took off the burgundy cloth grills better and clearer KZ ATE. Compared to the Monoprice(still great for the price) i like these bit more. For Bassheads I'd recommended the Sony Hybrids ear piece. Im good with the med KZ included sounds more balanced to me. Clip+ with Artist Genevieve Bellemare, Grace Weber and Barbra Lica in 320 mp3. BI did these good. Such a good deal for 10 bucks or less. No sibilance noted Uh What?

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
10 of these for $50.00

Do you have a large collection of cassettes to justify having a player? I've got about 288, and a broken Sony deck. Maybe will try to get the Sony repaired.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you have a large collection of cassettes to justify having a player? I've got about 288, and a broken Sony deck. Maybe will try to get the Sony repaired.
I have enough cassettes that I need a deck. I also found a new purpose for a deck...I have some albums that are very expensive or can't be replaced digitially if by download or by CD so I've recorded those to cassette and use tge cassette medium to listen to them. I also bought that Panasonic Shockwave walkman and I can now listen to these albums while commuting back and forth to work.

Thats a lot of cassettes. I picked up my Yammy deck for $40 used which was used lighty and works oh so well. :)

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I need to add one more color to my blue and dark gray acoustic foam -- bought from Ebay.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so I've succumbed to the temptation. Here's my first non-audio post to this thread with something I just bought.

That's my younger son Brian, 27, with his first motorcycle that I always promised I'd buy him. The black one in front, a near mint condition 100% stock 1981 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD, just over 11K miles on it. What's unusual is that behind him is his second bike that also showed up on the same truck, delivered by a long-time friend of mine. It's got 14,693 miles on it, a 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE.

My friend had called me a couple days before he was to deliver the KZ550 to finalize the time and mentioned then that he'd just picked up another bike and "should I put it on the truck?" Hell yeah, especially at the "package price" he gave me. As it turns out, unbeknownst to me the Bonneville SE is "my dream bike", said son. Back on 4/1/2011 when I bought my Triumph Tiger 800 ABS he gave me a ride down in his car so I could ride it home. While I was handling the paperwork, he sat on every bike in the showroom and settled on THAT bike, and in THAT color as fitting him and his taste best. I had no input on that and he never told me about it. Until it showed up at my house.

He has the Kwacker for now, and will until he passes the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course (in MA passing the course gets you your M/C license) and shows he's competent. Then he sell the KZ550 and buy the Triumph from me. Cool. I always wanted to ride with him. He put over 30,000 miles on my bike as a passenger from the time he was 8 until about 11-1/2 when he got too big. Now he can pilot his own ride! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis