What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm guessing that is a med frame? Dang, I've bee
You really fit your name. ;). Blind as a bat.
I'm guessing that looks about like a medium frame?

Dang, I'm jealous of all you guys on the medium frames! I've been looking for a new bike, or a good used bike. I've seen several good used bikes at good prices, but medium frames. I need XL, otherwise I would already have a nice bike!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. They look identical. Close in price too.
They're ALL the same. Probably made in the same factory in China, just rebranded. All of the Sewells are knockoffs, just like GLS and most of the ones we recommend.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, only so many factories and lots of branding out there....
This happens pretty much everywhere, it's just the easiest way for manufacturing.

Raw chemicals, batteries, bikes, computer chips, telescopes, the list goes on and on--1 or 2 factories produce 90% of the products for a particular commodity.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm guessing that is a med frame? Dang, I've bee

I'm guessing that looks about like a medium frame?

Dang, I'm jealous of all you guys on the medium frames! I've been looking for a new bike, or a good used bike. I've seen several good used bikes at good prices, but medium frames. I need XL, otherwise I would already have a nice bike!
Yup medium frame. It's actually the Kona 134 SE from '15 where they made it slightly smaller in some of the dimensions. So it's a hybrid medium/small frame. Some specs fit Kona's current medium sizing some the small. Fits me perfect since I'm a just a wee lad.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
any new or used LP I run it through a Spin-Clean before first play, and use a Audioquest cleaner such as yours every subsequent playing.
I have the original DiscWasher brush and fluid and will only use the fluid on newly purchased used albums. I use the DiscWasher brush dry on cleaned albums before playing them. This may be a cause of some static pops. That's why I bought the new brush to see if it reduces or eliminates most ofof the static charges.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the original DiscWasher brush and fluid and will only use the fluid on newly purchased used albums. I use the DiscWasher brush dry on cleaned albums before playing them. This may be a cause of some static pops. That's why I bought the new brush to see if it reduces or eliminates most ofof the static charges.
What, you don't have the full kit with the Zerostat? :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dropped off some stuff at the Thrift store and went to the store portion to see if anything would peak my interest and I found a pair of unopened Maxell Chrome tapes for the lump sum of $0.60 . I couldn't believe my luck.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
not new, mid-2011 iMac 27", 2.7Ghz, 32GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, 3 TB external LaCie drive.
Recently added an AudioEngine D1 24bit DAC and connected to a Niles SI-2100 amplifier and DefTech Studio Monitor 55 speakers.

IMG_1026.JPG

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup medium frame. It's actually the Kona 134 SE from '15 where they made it slightly smaller in some of the dimensions. So it's a hybrid medium/small frame. Some specs fit Kona's current medium sizing some the small. Fits me perfect since I'm a just a wee lad.
I'm not knocking Kona, I know they make some good bikes.

But, just an FYI, that brand is part of a larger conglomerate, they make many other name brand bikes too. All coming out of the same factory in Taiwan. I didn't know this myself until recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry
Brands also manufactured by Kinesis include Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Schwinn, Jamis, K2, Raleigh, Trek, Kross and Kona — as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not knocking Kona, I know they make some good bikes.

But, just an FYI, that brand is part of a larger conglomerate, they make many other name brand bikes too. All coming out of the same factory in Taiwan. I didn't know this myself until recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry
Brands also manufactured by Kinesis include Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Schwinn, Jamis, K2, Raleigh, Trek, Kross and Kona — as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America.
I don't have an issue with that. Kona seems to be doing mostly good things with their lines. The reason I went with them is the small town bike shop I go to carries them and likes them and I trust those guys. I was thinking about a Santa Cruz, but got a pretty good deal on the Kona so I went for it. The only things I would change are the brakes, I would switch to a Pike front fork and a different button for the dropper post. That last one is probably the only one I'll actually change for good long while.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have an issue with that. Kona seems to be doing mostly good things with their lines. The reason I went with them is the small town bike shop I go to carries them and likes them and I trust those guys. I was thinking about a Santa Cruz, but got a pretty good deal on the Kona so I went for it. The only things I would change are the brakes, I would switch to a Pike front fork and a different button for the dropper post. That last one is probably the only one I'll actually change for good long while.
Yeah, like I said, mostly just an FYI. I like to know the OEM when possible.

My thoughts are that these guys make so many different bikes, the name on the label is really a moot point. Mostly comes down to how you like the geometry and how well the welds are done in a few key areas. After that, it's down to the component selection.

FWIW, my Specialized claims "proudly hand-made in Taiwan", and just looking at the styling, I'm a bit suspicious that it's coming right out of the same factory too! But, I can't find any hard evidence for that yet.

I started looking at fat bikes and plus bikes, then I was curious where a couple brands were made (not well known brands), and that's how I found this info on Kinesis.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Screenshot_2017-02-21-14-41-25-1-1-1.png

Thursday! Now that's fast.

*Edit:They're in Cali. Right next door. That's awesome.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis