What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was going back and forth between WD and the Seagate's. The Seagates were slightly cheaper at the time, and while I've had good luck with WD, I thought it was worth a shot. I'm still not completely convinced the drives are no good. Amazon just needs to package them like $300+ hard drives and not socks.
I've used both Seagate and WD, looks to be a coin toss to me.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've used both Seagate and WD, looks to be a coin toss to me.
As I work in IT sector and have worked with servers quite a bit I can say that Seagate hard drives used to have a lot bigger fail rate than WD. But when I look on current tests it seems like Seagate has fixed some issues with their drives.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
upload_2017-1-25_10-11-53.png

NEW Dual Alarm Clock - SVINZ Day Clock Digital Calendar - Extra Large Non-Abbreviated Day & Month - Excellent for Impaired Vision - Brushed Silver - SDC006

OK, you can laugh... but I like it!!! When you're retired and off a normal work schedule, the days/dates start running together. Thanks to Swerd for the inspiration. :)

In fact, we bought a second one for my mother. She absolutely loves it!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As I work in IT sector and have worked with servers quite a bit I can say that Seagate hard drives used to have a lot bigger fail rate than WD. But when I look on current tests it seems like Seagate has fixed some issues with their drives.

I've had drives from all of them fail and I've had some that lasted. Currently using a 1TB Toshiba for the longest time with no issues, but I also have two Seagates and a Seagate 1TB hybrid in my PS4.

Interestingly, each of those companies is headquartered within a few minutes of my house.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 19913
NEW Dual Alarm Clock - SVINZ Day Clock Digital Calendar - Extra Large Non-Abbreviated Day & Month - Excellent for Impaired Vision - Brushed Silver - SDC006

OK, you can laugh... but I like it!!! When you're retired and off a normal work schedule, the days/dates start running together. Thanks to Swerd for the inspiration. :)

In fact, we bought a second one for my mother. She absolutely loves it!
http://gizmodo.com/watch-the-seconds-blink-by-on-this-freaky-eyelash-clock-1791373866

Yes, this is a clock lol.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are consumer still. They make much larger for commercial offerings; think data centers. My former neighbor was a physicist who worked at WD in the commercial storage group. I think he said the smallest thing they made was 60TB.
Nah, these are commercial only (for now) drives, but these sizes will be available to public soon.
I live and breath data centers. Single drive sizes in DC's are rarely over 8tb each, but SANs which manage hundreds or thousands of drives are not uncommon and 60tb is really tiny system, but single 60tb drives do not exist afaik (at the least outside labs)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, these are commercial only (for now) drives, but these sizes will be available to public soon.
I live and breath data centers. Single drive sizes in DC's are rarely over 8tb each, but SANs which manage hundreds or thousands of drives are not uncommon and 60tb is really tiny system, but single 60tb drives do not exist afaik (at the least outside labs)
Hmmm, so he was talking about stuff they haven't actually released (or he meant 16TB).

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't Toshiba buy out Hitachi hard drives? or visa versa

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Alrighty, gonna play catch up a little. Back in November I bought a TV from B&H Photo's used dept, a 75" Samsung. Unfortunately, it was defective. They couldn't exchange it for the same model, so I had to accept a refund. By the time I got my refund for it, all the Christmas sales were over. So I decided I'd get a better value out of a projector. BEHOLD!

I settled on the BenQ HT4050. I wanted a projector that supports frame interpolation. What can I say? I really dig the soap opera effect, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And the colors on this projector are absolutely beautiful.

I thought at first about getting an ultra short throw projector, but the only UST projector on the market with frame interpolation is an LG with 800 lumens. Given its weak output and having little confidence in LG's long-term dependability, I kept shopping. Trouble was that each projector I found with the features I wanted had a throw range that put its mounting point right in the middle of my ceiling fan blades. So I removed my 52" ceiling fan and replaced it with a 30", gaining about an extra foot of space -- just enough for the BenQ.

The pull chain charms were extra, and they are brilliant. This fan is tiny, but it stirs up a surprising amount of air. Despite Westinghouse's claims that the fan should only be used in a max 8' x 10' room, it easily cools my 11.5' x 20' room. On its highest setting the wind noise is louder than the motor, although I did add a snip or two of speaker gasket foam to dampen vibrations in a couple spots during installation. The projector fan is louder.

I built the screen DIY with some $30 remnant silver screen material from Carl's Place, ran a string of LED lights behind it, and it's close enough for government work.

This silver screen is 2.0 gain, which is great, but the silver screen will also be necessary for another purchase I made, a 3D Polarizer. This gadget is supposed to allow me to watch 3D using passive glasses. Unfortunately, the power adapter they shipped me is a European plug of some sort. Rather than waiting on a replacement to be shipped via steam boat, I've got a generic one ordered from Amazon (along with this power tap). We'll see how it goes after that stuff arrives.

Oh, and I cut cable and bought a couple of Roku Premier units. When my cable bill went up to $200, I decided it was time. Still waiting for Sony to remove my email address from someone else's account so I can sign up for Playstation Vue.

Anyway, after all of the above, plus the cable management, the projector mount, and various other doodads, I still spent several hundred dollars less than I'd paid for the used defective Samsung TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The MC700 finally showed up after much hassle. Freaking UPS...:rolleyes: After a missed delivery I had them redirected to the UPS store a block away. They still had it on the truck, so it didn't make it to the store yesterday. Today I saw that it actually showed up and there was only one package. I asked the guy he said "No, just one." So I shot Emo an email (long after they were closed). No word back, but around 8:30 a knock at the door and it was package #2...

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

Picked this up today, these are just hitting the market and is one of the first few out. After adding the VM130 module to my NAD T758 receiver to get 4K video it also gets a USB port in the back, and the firmware update readies it for this USB hub which comes complete with a USB wireless dongle and Bluetooth dongle. I don't know where the BlueOS licensing lies within the 3 components, but in just a few minutes I had Tidal HiFi and my own music library streaming wirelessly thru my receiver to my speakers.

I don't really need it, I have a Bluesound Vault 2 doing that job. I added it because the receiver will eventually (within a few months) go to my son. He can add the AM230 module if he wants Dolby Atmos, or just use it. In using it the signal for Bluesound is digital and internal to the receiver, and it shows up on the device menu as "BlueOS". The good is that the artwork for whatever I'm playing shows on the TV. The downside is I can't select "analog bypass" mode that sends full range signal to the speakers and nothing to the sub. I can do that with the Vault 2 though, so I'm sticking with that.

Best part is what I didn't pay for it. Thanks NAD and dealer!

hondajake

hondajake

Junior Audioholic
Recently bought an Anthem Pre-Pro and also Primaluna Tube Power amps -

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Bought a cheap (in price and quality) 'region-free' DVD player. And Season 7 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, a PAL region 4 import. Player works (sort of). Wonder if expensive players like OPPO will play discs from all regions?

IMG_0966.JPG

For some odd reason Amazon sells the first 6 seasons in region 1 (USA) but not the last! Weird.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Bought a cheap (in price and quality) 'region-free' DVD player. And Season 7 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, a PAL region 4 import. Player works (sort of). Wonder if expensive players like OPPO will play discs from all regions?

View attachment 20033

For some odd reason Amazon sells the first 6 seasons in region 1 (USA) but not the last! Weird.
For Oppo, I have seen "region free" mod kits on ebay.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Bought this on 180gm vinyl which also includes a download coupon .

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I recently cut cable TV service and replaced it with Roku boxes. I have to be careful though, because my Internet provider (Comcast) has a 1TB monthly data cap. Checked my usage a few days ago and realized, at the rate my family consumes data, I was going to reach my cap sooner or later. I'm pretty sure my family has been a bit careless about stopping playback when they go to turn off the TV.

To address the problem, I got a couple of these current sensing power strips for $12 each.

Now whenever the display is drawing less than 10 watts of power, the power to the Roku is killed. Hopefully this will solve the problem without having to retrain my family.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis