What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

Craigslist, picked from a few boxes. Nothing new, and only the Cat Stevens one shows any signs of use. Others, no scratches, dust or fingerprints. $20 for all 11. The "Meet The Beatles" is a mid-to-late 1964, perhaps 3rd or 4th pressing. Mint condition, far better than the slightly newer one I had bought new in 1972 (when I was a pre-teen.)

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Just purchased all new cables for my HT (Bluejean cables) to get rid of my hodgepod cabling.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Pair of CHEAP Blackout curtains for watching movies in the daytime. Some good reviews on amazon. I'll be the judge of that:
Ok so I did not see there were only 1 panel, so now I need to order another. My fault, but I did see that other people thought they came in a pair too. These are pretty dark too. Fuzz get them. 14.00 is still a good deal when I saw they block out brightness pretty good.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Great to hear. They were my fav. cartoon Christmas/Valentine time as a kid. Did you get the 3D?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Tired of riding the recumbent bike at the gym, want to get out more, so I bought an entry level Carbon Fiber Road bike and joined 2 Bike clubs today. Bad news; It is so F'ing hot in IL right now with over 100 degree heat index and humid.

Word of Warning, upgrading a bike can be as expensive as Home Theater LOL

Trek Emonda SL5

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Tired of riding the recumbent bike at the gym, want to get out more, so I bought an entry level Carbon Fiber Road bike and joined 2 Bike clubs today. Bad news; It is so F'ing hot in IL right now with over 100 degree heat index and humid.

Word of Warning, upgrading a bike can be as expensive as Home Theater LOL

Trek Emonda SL5

I wouldn't call a carbon fiber framed bike as a entry level road bike. :D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

5 Led Zeppelin, 2 Alice In Chains, none of which I had in my modest collection of LP's and CD's.
Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, Coda, In Through The Out Door, and Presence from Led Zep, plus Sap and Facelift from AIC. $3 each except the Physical Graffiti which he wanted $6 because it's a double.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
upload_2016-7-27_12-6-58.png

Samsung UN48J5000 48-Inch 1080p LED TV (2015 Model) $397.99

For my 90 year old mother. Replaces a very old 30" set. She loves it!!! It has none of the "smart" stuff, but when it comes to TVs, neither does she. On/Off, Channel & Volume. Oh... got the 5-year on-site warranty for her. If something goes wrong, she can just "call the man". :) She's happy and I got a little jar of her homemade pimento cheese. Good deal for us both.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice buy! That's a perfect situation for adding a (dreaded) soundbar later as her hearing diminishes. You are a good son.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Nice buy! That's a perfect situation for adding a (dreaded) soundbar later as her hearing diminishes.
Already did. Gave her a Denon soundbar when she started complaining about understanding the dialog. Auto on/off and volume works w/ her cable remote, (so only one remote she has to use). She absolutely LOVES that!!! Made all the difference in the world. Now she can hear and see. Life is good. She is very proud that she is not on a single prescription medication. Takes a vitamin and baby aspirin every day. That's it. She's doing better than me.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Already did. Gave her a Denon soundbar when she started complaining about understanding the dialog. Auto on/off and volume works w/ her cable remote, (so only one remote she has to use). She absolutely LOVES that!!! Made all the difference in the world. Now she can hear and see. Life is good. She is very proud that she is not on a single prescription medication. Takes a vitamin and baby aspirin every day. That's it. She's doing better than me.
I really love that feature of sound bars. I had a Polk sound bar (a Craigslist find sans instruction manual) that I handed-me-downed to my in-laws. As I was setting it up for them, I discovered that it had a learn feature. I was able to teach it their existing remote's signals for power toggle, volume up / down, and mute. They get better sound without having to adjust their habits of operating the TV volume in the slightest. My living room TV has a Pioneer sound base with a similar learning feature. The Comcast digital adapter remote operates it just fine, although for some reason the sound base was unable to learn the power button. I had to assign the remote's mute button to toggle the power of the sound base, an acceptable compromise.

In both cases, my family members are all able to use simple remotes with which they are already familiar, without any extra button presses needed. It seems a more graceful solution to have the audio device be the universal learning thing than having universal remotes. I love my Harmony remote in my HT. But I'm also extremely pleased with how easy the sound bar and sound base are to setup and to operate -- much easier to operate from the perspective of a technophobic spouse or parent. I'm surprised that this sort of learning feature hasn't found its way into AVRs, even if just for the volume and power controls.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis