What material for Acoustic Panels

G

Gareth55

Enthusiast
Hi All - Apologies as i'm sure this has been asked a million times. I want to make some acoustic panels for my basement theater which has solid plaster walls on the from back and side wall. I assume I need to make some wooden frames myself and am wondering the best material to use in order to absorb some of the reflections. I am trying to do this in a cost effective way and wondered what you think. As of now I have the option of the below Roxul products from Home Depot, is the comfortboard better than say a Roxul safe and sound which is more of a soft insulation batting I believe? Thanks everyone!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.html?q=roxul#!q=roxul

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi All - Apologies as i'm sure this has been asked a million times. I want to make some acoustic panels for my basement theater which has solid plaster walls on the from back and side wall. I assume I need to make some wooden frames myself and am wondering the best material to use in order to absorb some of the reflections. I am trying to do this in a cost effective way and wondered what you think. As of now I have the option of the below Roxul products from Home Depot, is the comfortboard better than say a Roxul safe and sound which is more of a soft insulation batting I believe? Thanks everyone!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.html?q=roxul#!q=roxul
You might find this useful:

http://acousticsfreq.com/how-to-build-your-own-acoustic-panels/

Cheers,

Phil

G

Gareth55

Enthusiast
Great, thanks Speakerman! Does anyone have experience using Roxul comfortboard as an absorber. I like the idea that this product seems to be relative compressed so perhaps I can mount it directly to the wall without having to make a frame. It looks as thought I could just wrap it in a material and then attach it to the wall.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Great, thanks Speakerman! Does anyone have experience using Roxul comfortboard as an absorber. I like the idea that this product seems to be relative compressed so perhaps I can mount it directly to the wall without having to make a frame. It looks as thought I could just wrap it in a material and then attach it to the wall.
Garath, really don't thank me as BSA albeit BoredSysAdmin linked it for me a good while ago when I was wanting to do the same thing myself. He linked another helpful link for me but for the life of me I can't find it......ugh. Anyways, it is a good starting point. Good luck!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Omg Phil... you might have just triggered a bug bite. Not only are those cheap and easy to make, they can actually enhance the decor. I might start doing a little homework. That's the next best thing I can do, really. Deal with room reflections, sliding glass door and windows.
No, BSA linked that for me a good while back. I found it to be very helpful. As such, that is why I posted for the OP. There was another as well, but can't find it. I guess I somehow deleted it.......ugh! I agree, they do look doable even for a guy like me! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis