What makes a receiver a GOOD receiver?

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
I'm still trying to figure out my first purchases for my first 2.0 system, but I still have some doubts on the receiver. For example, I found a DENON AVR-S500BT ($169.99), which seems to have all I would need, 5.2 for future upgrade, and bluetooth which I wanted. I searched online and everytime someone mentioned that receiver someone suggested to upgrade it, what I don't understand is, why?

I looked at this one, which seems better basing myself on what other people say, DENON AVR-X1100W ($269.99). Only drastic difference I can see is the 7.2 instead of 5.2, which I won't be using, and Audyssey, which is not on my list of priorities and I could live without. Will there really be a big difference between these 2 receiver? I can understand more the speaker side of things, spend more and get better drivers, sound all that, but with receivers, I am not clear on what the extra $ is getting, and I would prefer to stay under $200 for a receiver. Anyone have any insight on this?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The X1100 has a host of features and hardware the S500 does not. Too many to list. But the S500 is higher power. Go to the Denon website and compare. One point, you may find that you really like some of the 1100 features that you don't understand or think you want now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The biggest issue is longevity. Cheap low end receivers usually have a short life. I always advise to start at the mid price point.

The other issue is this. Do you need a receiver at all for a 2.0 system?

Could you just buy two speakers, an amp and a DAC. In the days of the smart TV, that could well give you a better system.

There are a lot of really good vintage amps out there, that put receivers in the shade.

As you describe your needs the last thing I would be looking at would be a low end receiver, which by and large a pretty nasty devices on multiple levels. You really do not need the facility of a receiver at and above the mid price point.

B

badaboom423

Audioholic Intern
The biggest issue is longevity. Cheap low end receivers usually have a short life. I always advise to start at the mid price point.

The other issue is this. Do you need a receiver at all for a 2.0 system?

Could you just buy two speakers, an amp and a DAC. In the days of the smart TV, that could well give you a better system.

There are a lot of really good vintage amps out there, that put receivers in the shade.

As you describe your needs the last thing I would be looking at would be a low end receiver, which by and large a pretty nasty devices on multiple levels. You really do not need the facility of a receiver at and above the mid price point.
I MIGHT upgrade in a year to a year and a half to a 5.1, so I was thinking I might get a receiver. On the other hand, how much can I expect to spend to power a pair of HVL-1s with an amp?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you go for receiver I myself would prefer to have Audyssey for room correction.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I MIGHT upgrade in a year to a year and a half to a 5.1, so I was thinking I might get a receiver. On the other hand, how much can I expect to spend to power a pair of HVL-1s with an amp?
I agree with TLS on bottom shelf receivers are really simply garbage. You're best bet on limited budget is to look for second hand few years old mid-tier receivers. Something like Denon AVR-2807.
Original retail price was $1000, but I won't be shocked to find it second hand for $100 or so

What makes it GOOD? Since 28xx series was somewhat mid-tier for Denon, they didn't used cheapest components to build them - ergo they still work.

Same applies to Yamaha - very few failed, I'd still get Denon for the features.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The business I work for purchases and sells used items. We bought one of those budget Denon HDMI 1.4 4K compatible receivers recently and was appalled at the lack of quality. At low levels the sound was so tiny it sounded like the music was coming out of a BIOS indicator/speaker on a laptop motherboard. It sounded better as it was turned up, but still. I'm baffled that a modern receiver would sound like that. That's the kind of quality I expect out of GPX alarm clock radio.

If I were to buy a bottom shelf receiver today, it would probably be a Pioneer. Just 5-6 years ago bottom shelf receivers lacked in features, but had decent quality otherwise. Now it's all about cramming as many features as possible into a certain price point and forget the quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis