What It Means To Be An Audiophile

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is more a question of how one chooses to define the term.....

If we look at the roots of the word, we get literally a lover of sound (audiophile = audio [sound] + phile {philos} [love])......
It seems like a word that has a level of intensity implied in it. For my self, I tend to stick with a lover of sound, but what I often see is that one doesn't qualify unless one has spent almost inconceivable amounts of money on equipment that's based on some dubious theory like "special" wire, organized electrons or whatever. My moderate view of audiophilia (is it a disease like hydrophobia?) means that I can be satisfied with middling equipment that sounds good with the music I like, whereas the extreme audiophiles are constantly seeking better ways to spend lots of money on some enhancement that may or not mean anything. I'm beginning to think that hard core audiophile behavior, like spending $5000 on an interconnect should have a write-up in the next Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) used by mental health professionals to pigeon-hole people who do strange things.

T

thegreatandi

Enthusiast
i could talk about music with my girlfriend before i could talk about intercourse
( its a requirement actually )
haha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis