j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Probably refers to a sub preout that is full range (unfiltered) vs one that sends out a low pass (crossed over) signal.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The above may be true as it relates to pre-outs, but a filter can also block signals from being sent to the sub below a certain point.

For example, I can configure my sub 4 different ways.

1. unfiltered
2. 16hz
3. 20hz
4. 24hz

I have mine set to 16hz, which means that any signal below that point is blocked.

You'll want to read your user manual to see which application applies to your receiver.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Buckeye_Nut said:
The above may be true as it relates to pre-outs, but a filter can also block signals from being sent to the sub below a certain point.

For example, I can configure my sub 4 different ways.

1. unfiltered
2. 16hz
3. 20hz
4. 24hz

I have mine set to 16hz, which means that any signal below that point is blocked.

You'll want to read your user manual to see which application applies to your receiver.

That makes sense. Some components of the past had rumble filters to block TT low rumble:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My sub amp has that built in as well. I have it set to 14Hz.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Aren't the kind of filters you guys are talking about on a subwoofer generally known as sub-sonic filters or just plain limiters?

I thought I saw that the SVS PB10-NSD sub has a sub-sonic filter at 16 Hz to prevent the driver from bottoming out if you end up feeding it a signal that low because it is really spec'ed to produce 20Hz at the lowest and anything lower would cause extreme movement of the driver and bottom it out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
rumble filter = subsonic filter, and yes that is the purpose of such a filter - to prevent over excursion of the driver.

The PB-10 played plenty loud at 18Hz and quickly dropped off at 16Hz with the PB-10 in my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis