What is up with the JBL Synthesis systems?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/

I am more or less looking at the K2 S9800 and for the price of around $35,000CND the specs do not look good at all. Does anyone have any experience with the K2 S9800?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I don't, but I agree...17kHz top end and 25Hz on the bottom? That's not very awesome for HT if you ask me. I think you might be better off doing something with an RBH system or something. That'll give you 20-20k for sure. And if you need more bass, you can always grab an SVS sub to rock the room. Course, seeing how you're in Canada...that might be a tad expensive.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I was interested in the JBL synthesis system because the Bang & Olufsen store in calgary might be installing a synthesis system in the HT room. When checking the price of the hercules system at around $150,000US and then looking at the specs it was not adding up for that kind of money.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely. I think if you're doing custom install, it had better be doing 20-20k linearly along with ample subsonic response. If it's supposed to be some super-duper HT system, 25Hz just doesn't cut it. Hell, you could get that with a pair of Outlaw Audio LFM-1s... I really have lost faith in JBL. Their stuff just doesn't seem to stack up anymore.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
These are THX certified systems all designed to work in concert together, and fill specific sized rooms with reference quality sound.

I can show you a speaker with similar specs that would not be close to filling the rooms as much as these can.

Put together a system that can fill 75,000 cu. ft., play at reference levels and see what you can come up with.

FWIW, I believe the THX bass/LFE spec rolls off around 30hz.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Ignore the specs

Privateer said:
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/

I am more or less looking at the K2 S9800 and for the price of around $35,000CND the specs do not look good at all. Does anyone have any experience with the K2 S9800?
I'm looking at the "Synthesis HT" system, and my guess is that it would absolutely blow away 98% of all our systems for HT. Lets ignore the specs for a second. Who here has a 97lb amplifier, a pair of 12" subwoofers that can handle their dedicated 1000 watt rms amps, and an 83 band 22lb parametric digital eq? All but the surround speakers are rated to 20,000Hz, and the dual subs that "only" go down to 25Hz will do so at earthshaking levels. This is an HT setup. It's meant to recreate a cinema in the home. It doesn't need the 50,000Hz ribbon tweeters or 16Hz SV subs to reproduce Speilbergs flicks. It simply exceeds THX standards to recreate the movie theater experience.

www.jblsynthesis.com/products/system_overview.aspx?prod=SYN-HT4-L7&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Right on Buck.....and reference quality in your home to boot. It would be interesting to know what the cost of the "smaller" systems are.

Also, the pre/pro and amps are basicly rebadged Lexicon units. JBL's and Lexicon's parent company is Harman International.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have ripped on their stuff. The electronics seem out of this world. I mean, check these power specs:

Power Rating (20Hz – 20kHz, <0.03% THD, All Channels Driven) Output 8 Ohms 160 Watts per channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven

WOW :eek:

Anyway, I guess they can't get tons of subsonic bass due to the size constraints the format dictates. Not everyone has room for a monster SVS sub.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
IMO the JBL systems kick major butt. Ignore the specs.

This system will be EQ'd and if they stay anywhere near whats referred to as the X-Curve in the cinema and film industry there will be roll off starting at 2k hence the 17k upper end. Everthing else will flat to about 20 to 25hz. This explains the specs. At least in my eyes. I think the THX curve boosts the bass at about 30 to 35 hz.

I have watched about 6 movies through these systems in various versions and every single time my jaw hit the floor. Everything about them scares me. When set up PROPERLY the resolution,dynamics and accuracy are incerdible. You get exactly what the director and sound designer wanted you to here.

I will admit some people might question JBL products. The home products are very misguided and poor quality. With some exceptions being the K series and the TIK models.

But when it comes to the Professional stuff, dont ever count JBL out. They have some of the finest cinema systems in the world and the ad about them being in about 75 percent of all movie theatres is not an exageration. I have been in the cinema industry for 10 years and the #1 speaker I see is JBL.

They are very easy to EQ and can take some serious abuse. There sub drivers are some of the finest I have ever seen. They where the fisrst to market a 3 way based cinema stage speaker. They also had the exclusive manufacturing rights when THX systems where introduced to the public.

If there is one thing JBL knows its cinema based loudspeaker systems. :D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have ripped on their stuff. The electronics seem out of this world. I mean, check these power specs:

Power Rating (20Hz – 20kHz, <0.03% THD, All Channels Driven) Output 8 Ohms 160 Watts per channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven

WOW :eek:

Anyway, I guess they can't get tons of subsonic bass due to the size constraints the format dictates. Not everyone has room for a monster SVS sub.
Also, regarding the sub, notice the difference in frequency response with and without the eq. Pretty amazing. Don't forget to check out the weight and sensitivity of this unit. I'd love to hear a side by side comparison of a top SVS and this JBL Pro unit. I'd think theater owners would use SVS if it was better.

Maybe we all need eq's.

www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4642a.pdf

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Also, regarding the sub, notice the difference in frequency response with and without the eq. Pretty amazing. Don't forget to check out the weight and sensitivity of this unit. I'd love to hear a side by side comparison of a top SVS and this JBL Pro unit. I'd think theater owners would use SVS if it was better.

Maybe we all need eq's.

www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4642a.pdf
EQing the in-room response of a sub usually makes huge differences to the listener and experience.

SVS is not that well known outside of the internet.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Audioholics should do a shootout/comparison between the JBL Synthesis and the Klipsch THX Ultra2 high-end HT systems. That will make my purchasing decision easier when I finally win big on these scratch-off tickets......

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1

Who here has a 97lb amplifier, a pair of 12" subwoofers that can handle their dedicated 1000 watt rms amps
I do.

and the dual subs that "only" go down to 25Hz will do so at earthshaking levels.
The sub does not look that great. I would put the Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 up against the S1S-EX any day.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=3&sid=503x289g
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/specs/DD_1812_Sign.html

I'd love to hear a side by side comparison of a top SVS and this JBL Pro unit
Why not pick a better sub.

jaxvon

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have ripped on their stuff. The electronics seem out of this world. I mean, check these power specs: Power Rating (20Hz – 20kHz, <0.03% THD, All Channels Driven) Output 8 Ohms 160 Watts per channel into 8 ohms, all channels driven
That is not impressive.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Here is the main point I am trying to make, for the price of there equipment you can do better with other high end companies and keep the sound quality at the same time.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The sub does not look that great. I would put the Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 up against the S1S-EX any day.
Of course the sub costing six times what the S1S does is going to outperform it......

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Privateer said:
Buckeyefan 1

I do.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=3&sid=503x289g
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/specs/DD_1812_Sign.html

Why not pick a better sub.

jaxvon

That is not impressive.
You are in that 2% I mentioned earlier. You must be one of the few "rich guys" on the forum. Lucky dog. That sub is pretty impressive. I've never seen it. If money wasn't a factor, I'd take the Velo. I think the JBL Synthesis is geared more toward commercial and pro audio, while that Velodyne is more for residential usage. It's prettier, too.

BTW, what is your setup based on your reply?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
When I viewed movies and one of them being Jurrasic Park I had absolutely no complaints with the sub. Very deep and tight with good control. You felt the foot steps. Speed was another movie I watched with great pleasure.

I love the scale and visceral impact these systems offer. However they need to be in a small to medium sized screening rooms to sound there best.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I have something against JBL due to my experience with some of their pro stuff. I've worked with their top-end portable systems (passive speakers and powered subs) and neither impresses me much. The subs don't go very low at all, and just tend to sound boomy and undefined. And these are 18" subs. Call me a cynic, but I don't think that 35Hz is very respectable for a massive sub.

Of course, I do realize that they are designed for live settings where music doesn't really go below that, I would think they should be capable of lower frequencies. But perhaps if they are tuned higher they can achieve maximum output at desired and useful frequencies. I honestly don't know (WmAx?).

I just think that even when going with a custom install, you can do a lot better than a synthesis system for the money, meaning better bass depth, better sounding highs (while I haven't heard one personally, I do know what JBL horns sound like, and it's not to my liking), and so on.

And hell, if you wanna talk about a manly dual 18" sub, let's discuss the Wilson XS. 16Hz at 112dB Anyone?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
phhhft, thats not manly.

SvS b4 plus. thats a manly subwoofer.
I read a review, somewhere, on this sub. The guy was using it OUTSIDE, with a crown K1 amp(1000wattsRMS) and it did 15hz at 100db and the amp shut down. The guy needed a more powerful amp to get the real numbers on the sub, but they didn't get one :( . i don't know about you, but the b4plus could waste at 1812, and you would have alot more money left over. Im not saying the 1812 is crap, but i wouldn't shell that out knowing what the b4plus is capable of.

on an opposite topic, Svsess(blah?) cheapest sub, pb10 I believe, is a monster for 400 bucks. I read a review, somewhere, wher a guy was testing outside, and it was within +/-1DB from 100 or 120, to 19hz, and inside it went down to 15hz at +/-3db I believe. You gotta hand it to SVS, they make sweet subs, for a great price.

sheep

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis