What is this Sub? Elemental designs maybe?

S

SOUNDMANFORD

Enthusiast
My journey started out two weeks ago with a complete cover haul of my HTS. I started looking for a new sub last week. I posted a thread asking what subs people recommended. Well in a weird twist I was at my mother in laws house setting up her new Sony Theater in a box and while I was removing the "old system" that was to big and complicated for her (divorced, ex husbands stuff) I noticed the Huge sub sitting in the corner. It was my payment for setting the new system up. I took it home, plugged it up and damn does this thing play. I think i might have found my new sub. But I have no clue what model it is. The plate amp in the back has no serial number or model number. No brand markings. It is a elemental design woofer but that's all I know. It measures 18wX17hX21.5d Looked up the A2-300 but looks nothing like my subs back. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ed made all kinds of subs, and some of them changed throughout the years. It could very well be a A2-300, but an old version. It may also be an older version of the A3-300. They made lots of custom subs too. Coming from ED, I wouldn't worry about the exact model, as it is bit closer to a DIY sub than other manufacturers whose lines were more standardized.

S

SOUNDMANFORD

Enthusiast
That makes sense. It is one hell of a beast. Played down to 18hz and from the listening position measured it at 125db. Its pretty clean sounding. Now i just need to keep things from falling off the walls. I know Ed is long gone now so keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't go belly up any time soon!

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I think you have an early version of an A2-300.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That is most definitely an early version A2-300 with the old LT/200 amp. If the amp does go out, you can get it fixed by daveds50 on avsforum, he used to be the guy that did all the amp repairs for eD. I bought one of his refurbished amps on ebay and it works great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis