What is "reference level" ?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
? I've never been accused of being "to knowledgeable".

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
What's the best way to shift reference level down on the AVR or other to limit (~70 dB max.) high peak volume levels while watching movies?

I tried the settings below on my AVR but most times it does nothing. When it does work, the sound quality changes in a negative way.

Dynamic Volume
Heavy
Medium
Light
Off (default)

Reference Level Offset
0 dB (default)
5 dB
10 dB
15 dB

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the best way to shift reference level down on the AVR or other to limit (~70 dB max.) high peak volume levels while watching movies?

I tried the settings below on my AVR but most times it does nothing. When it does work, the sound quality changes in a negative way.

Dynamic Volume
Heavy
Medium
Light
Off (default)

Reference Level Offset
0 dB (default)
5 dB
10 dB
15 dB
Dynamic volume is a compression routine, so that would be the way to limit the peaks and it may well come with some effects that you may not prefer. Reference Level Offset is used in conjunction with DynamicEQ and is particularly for adjusting that for music (0 for movies, -5 for wide dynamic range music, -10 for less wide dynamic range, etc).

The volume limit adjustment in the avr is just for the master volume level but won't put a dB limit on content peaks...

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Dynamic volume is a compression routine, so that would be the way to limit the peaks and it may well come with some effects that you may not prefer. Reference Level Offset is used in conjunction with DynamicEQ and is particularly for adjusting that for music (0 for movies, -5 for wide dynamic range music, -10 for less wide dynamic range, etc).

The volume limit adjustment in the avr is just for the master volume level but won't put a dB limit on content peaks...
The compression in Dynamic volume is probably why it sounds bad when it works, the audio sounds as if it's being masked and loses clarity, not just simply lowering the volume. And it doesn't seem to control loud TV infomercials.

They should provide settings to allow us to set maximum dB levels for content peaks coming through, or is that what the volume knob is for? There should be another way. While watching movies I have to manage volume with the remote because the peaks are too extreme, I imagine this is common for many people.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The compression in Dynamic volume is probably why it sounds bad when it works, the audio sounds as if it's being masked and loses clarity, not just simply lowering the volume. And it doesn't seem to control loud TV infomercials.

They should provide settings to allow us to set maximum dB levels for content peaks coming through, or is that what the volume knob is for? There should be another way. While watching movies I have to manage volume with the remote because the peaks are too extreme, I imagine this is common for many people.
I don't use compression routines myself, don't have any need nor do I like the effect much. None of my avrs has had what you're looking for in any case that's what the volume control is for if the compression routine doesn't work for you....

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
I don't use compression routines myself, don't have any need nor do I like the effect much. None of my avrs has had what you're looking for in any case that's what the volume control is for if the compression routine doesn't work for you....
What about connecting a Compressor to the AVR to do a better job managing audio levels? Are those only for pro equipment? I don't have XLR connections on my AVR but I don't mind spending $500 if it will work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What about connecting a Compressor to the AVR to do a better job managing audio levels? Are those only for pro equipment? I don't have XLR connections on my AVR but I don't mind spending $500 if it will work.
Don't know, perhaps an external unit may have what you're looking for. Is this a problem with all sources/content?

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Don't know, perhaps an external unit may have what you're looking for. Is this a problem with all sources/content?
The problem is just with movies from a quiet scene to sudden volume spikes of explosions, yelling, gun shots, car crashes, etc. which I understand is normal but wish I could control it. I don't mind the sudden increased volume but it doesn't have to be six times louder to enjoy the show. I will check around if there's an external unit to try and see and return if it doesn't work :)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic

Dynamic Volume
Heavy
Medium
Light
Off (default)

Reference Level Offset
0 dB (default)
5 dB
10 dB
15 dB
Here is a good link for the full Audyssey FAQ and one of the things they discuss is dynamic volume. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/795421-official-audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-1726.html#post21782993

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The problem is just with movies from a quiet scene to sudden volume spikes of explosions, yelling, gun shots, car crashes, etc. which I understand is normal but wish I could control it. I don't mind the sudden increased volume but it doesn't have to be six times louder to enjoy the show. I will check around if there's an external unit to try and see and return if it doesn't work :)
Good luck!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis