What is better 2 subwoofers or 2 Tower speakers with subwoofers

Z

Zeno

Audiophyte
I have a question to ask all of this forum I am wondering the differance between having 2 subwoofers or buying Tower speakers with a subwoofer in it. I am currantly Def. tech promonitor 1000 mains and center and def tech 800 for wide and surround and whafedale bipolor for rears subwoofer 1 dayton 12" and 1 veloynde 10" my Reiever is a Denon 4100 not sure if I should jump on some BP 8040 and ditch the Promonitors and ditch the subs as well. any help or guidance would be great.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Rarely does the best placement of full range towers accentuate the best performance from internal subwoofers.

Your best bet is separate subwoofers and full range speakers.

Z

Zeno

Audiophyte
So would I be better off buying a pair of Def Tech Mythos one's I like the height of the speakers.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is space limited? Is there a reason you don't want having separate subs?

Will you be able to place the 2 subwoofers on opposite sides of the room (front Center + rear Center) ?

Where can you place your 2 subwoofers? Only on either sides of the front wall? If this is the case, then it's the same location as having subs inside your front towers.

Dedicated subs, however, usually have more bass output. How much bass output do you want?

There are a lot of variables, including budget, space, and aesthetic. Do you want amps to be OUTSIDE of the subs and speakers? Have you thought about what you would do if the amps inside the speakers or subs fail?

Z

Zeno

Audiophyte
Is space limited? Is there a reason you don't want having separate subs?

Will you be able to place the 2 subwoofers on opposite sides of the room (front Center + rear Center) ?

Where can you place your 2 subwoofers? Only on either sides of the front wall? If this is the case, then it's the same location as having subs inside your front towers.

Dedicated subs, however, usually have more bass output. How much bass output do you want?

There are a lot of variables, including budget, space, and aesthetic. Do you want amps to be OUTSIDE of the subs and speakers? Have you thought about what you would do if the amps inside the speakers or subs fail?

Z

Zeno

Audiophyte
No space is not limited at all I have two subs already they are about 12 feet apart I just see so many speakers coming out with the subs in them I was looking at getting some tower speakers with no subs and using my current subs The procinema are good I get good bass I guess I was more courious than anything else

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I like separate subs. I have yet to hear the impressive tower with built in subwoofer (salk excluded). For HT I want earth rattling bass, and most built in systems are not that impressive... PLUS most likely your sub system is going to be the first component to fail, so ow when its built into your towers you are starting over...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PLUS most likely your sub system is going to be the first component to fail, so ow when its built into your towers you are starting over...
You mean the built-in plate amp of the subwoofer?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
hey how much are them towers, lol? And that is a bookshelf speaker stacked ontop of a subwoofer, lol... I think the op was talking abuot something like the def techs or polks with the larger side loaded speakers...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hey how much are them towers, lol? And that is a bookshelf speaker stacked ontop of a subwoofer, lol... I think the op was talking abuot something like the def techs or polks with the larger side loaded speakers...
RBH SX-T3N's MSRP is $10,600/pair. They call them modular towers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
yah, I know what they are it wasn't an actual question, more to make a point... jeeze, that was painful adtg

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
yah, I know what they are it wasn't an actual question, more to make a point... jeeze, that was painful adtg
Lol! Well to make it even more painful, those towers are the uNpowered version so add your ideal amplification cost to the equation!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, wanted to inform other people who might not know. I didn't know what those RBH were when I first posted on this forum. A lot of terminologies for noobs. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol! Well to make it even more painful, those towers are the uNpowered version so add your ideal amplification cost to the equation!
Yeah, I use ATI amps for both the top & bottom cabs. Definitely adds to total cost. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Not a lot of audiophile newbies jumping into them guys, plus they are NOT wife friendly, lol...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not a lot of audiophile newbies jumping into them guys, plus they are NOT wife friendly, lol...
Forget the wife. Those 92" tall 200 lbs T3's aren't friendly period. :eek:

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Forget the wife. Those 92" tall 200 lbs T3's aren't friendly period. :eek:

LOL...so true. And if one doesn't yet have a wife, that's assurance that one will remain in said condition.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis