what is best sub enclosure for sound qualitity?

90hertz

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>what is the best subwoofer enclosure for the best sound quality?

sealed? ported? bandpass?

assumingthat the sub is custom fit to it's enclosure.

what would be best?

thanks</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>sealed is the only way to go, unless you spend the big bucks and go isobarik like the new monitor audio 212 or the $5000 linn</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>To a very great extent, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. &nbsp;I take it from your comments that you plan to build yourself. &nbsp;Suggest you look into transmission-line enclosures. &nbsp;Harder to build, but worth the effort. &nbsp;For a simpler enclosure I agree with the previous advice, in that I'd go with a sealed (acoustic suspension) system over a ported system *in most cases.* &nbsp;However, if you just want to add some room shake to an HT setup and don't have a big amplifier to drive the sub, a ported box can do the task. &nbsp;IMHO, bandpass subs aren't really useful for home use, though they might be ok if you only use them over a very narrow bandwidth (which is all they can cover anyway).

Sealed box is the easiest compromise. &nbsp;Transmission lines are an improvement, but are much harder to construct.

Hope this helps,

Chuck</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I'd agree with Chuck that sealed is probably the way to go. One caveat, however:

Because of its &quot;trapped&quot; backwave, a sealed enclosure will flex and vibrate more than a vented enclosure. So make sure the cabinet is very rigid, especially if you're using a powerful subwoofer driver, otherwise you may end up with reliability and/or sonic problems.</font>

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Transmission Line Speakers

Here is a link that will help you decide where the T-Line speaker is concerned. &nbsp;Sealed is great, but if you can spare a corner, a T-Line is a great way if you plan to build it yourself.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis