What if any speakers should be upgraded?

T

Timberwolf04

Audiophyte
I have a credit at a local audio store that is expiring next month. I'm thinking I should upgrade a speaker if it is affordable. I have attached a quick picture of my room layout. The top left corner wall is at an angle which is the scribble. All my speakers are currently Polks so i'm not sure if you can mix and match brands or not?

What would be the first thing I should upgrade?
Theter.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What model Polk speakers? Yes you can mix brands generally.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Depending on your present speakers, I would look to upgrade the front left/right and center.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Would be helpful if you outlined exact make and model of Speakers.

I am only guessing at what I find on google, that you have 4 Polk RM1300, then a pair of Q Acoustic M20.

I don't get much back on the C510 you show as your Center.

Your biggest impact in Sound Quality will come from your Front 3. You don't have to match them, though it help if they sound more alike than not...

Let us know what you are actually using rather than guessing, please.

How much are you willing to spend on this?

T

Timberwolf04

Audiophyte
Sorry, I thought I had that all in the picture.

Center is polk CS10
Fronts are polk M20
4 surrounds are polk RM1300

I have a spend $450 credit but has to be used on something double the credit

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for clarifying the models.....I couldn't read the specifics on the device I looked at earlier. So you're looking for roughly $900-1000 range for speakers? What speakers does this shop carry to choose from? I'm with Shady that I'd be looking to upgrade the fronts seeing what models you have now. Maybe that sub.

T

Timberwolf04

Audiophyte
Yes, I think around the $900 range. If I upgrade the fronts will the center be to underpowered? Also if I upgrade the fronts should the M20's be moved to the left and right surrounds?

Here is a link to the online store of the audio shop I use: Visions Electronics

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure how you define "underpowered". If you get more capable speakers L/R then perhaps the center wouldn't be able to "keep up" when pushing things. I'd look to improve all three but for $900 choices are limited. Would you perhaps get L/R now and then a different center later on? Looking thru the choices there the Klipsch RP8000 might be a consideration for your budget....

T

Timberwolf04

Audiophyte
Not sure how you define "underpowered". If you get more capable speakers L/R then perhaps the center wouldn't be able to "keep up" when pushing things. I'd look to improve all three but for $900 choices are limited. Would you perhaps get L/R now and then a different center later on? Looking thru the choices there the Klipsch RP8000 might be a consideration for your budget....
Yes, I guess "keep up" is what I meant. The RP8000 is for only 1 not a pair for that price. I think if I got 2 my wife would be filing for divorce lol

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You are so close to the price of some great speakers. What's your max budget? Will the store honour on-line sales? I see the KEF Q750 available for half price if you don't mind open box. It's $1200 but a great value. New is $1400 on sale (regular $2200). You could then see how the centre matches up and save up for a KEF centre for later if need be.

If you're strictly limited to $900, the Polk XT60 is $660 and XT70 is $900. I don't see other options available. (Yeah, it's a pain that a lot of models are prices as singles.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I guess "keep up" is what I meant. The RP8000 is for only 1 not a pair for that price. I think if I got 2 my wife would be filing for divorce lol
Thought it was a pair price, sorry plus didn't notice it was a Canadian site. Thinking more of US pricing I suppose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis