What I found at my parent's house!

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
A Carver TFM-35 and Adcom GFP-565. :D

I'm not really sure if I am going to use the Adcom yet. Anyone know where I can find a replacement knob for the level control? It's missing for the Carver!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That is a very nice preamp, assuming the controls haven't become noisy. New amps can out-do the Carver for a few hundred dollars.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
So, far all the buttons work. My dad was using the pre-amp and carver a few months ago, and he stopped using it. So, I went ahead and asked him if I can use it. The only thing missing is the carver volume / level knob.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a bit skeptical about affect of pre-amp on resulting SQ, but that Carver amp is a a really good amp according to specs.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
nice amp, I have a pair of tfm75s that still work, I don't use them anymore, have the original boxes and receipts!!! I would check ebay for a parts or repair unit, you can get them for really cheap I think the knobs are the same for them all so you can get a 15 cheap then resell it missing a knob...

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I've called Carver Audio repair already. It would cost about $230 to $300 dollas + shipping to make it brand new again, but they do not believe they have a knob available. So, I am going to test it out and see how it goes.

If it need to be repaired, I'll do it, but it wont be right away. I don't really have the $$$ since I'm getting married in 3 weeks lol.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... The only thing missing is the carver volume / level knob.
Measure the shaft diameter and go to Radio Shack or another electronic parts store and see if they have a knob to fit that shaft. Certainly will not match the original but then, it seems not even the Carver repair has them anymore. Get something that you like and about the right size over all.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
Measure the shaft diameter and go to Radio Shack or another electronic parts store and see if they have a knob to fit that shaft. Certainly will not match the original but then, it seems not even the Carver repair has them anymore. Get something that you like and about the right size over all.
Thanks. I will do that.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
It's alive!!!

I had to re-arrange my whole set up to include the Carver amp. I though it was going to take me about an hour to set everything up, but no. It took me about 3.5 hours since I have to re-arrange all of my ethernet, hdmi, and RCA cables. On top of that I had to re-terminate some of my speaker wires because I didn't like the way they looked lol.

By the time I was done with everything the kids and the wife were asleep. So, I couldn't really crank the volume up. I did get to watch Oblivion finally! I will play some music tomorrow to see if I hear any difference.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've called Carver Audio repair already. It would cost about $230 to $300 dollas + shipping to make it brand new again, but they do not believe they have a knob available. So, I am going to test it out and see how it goes.

If it need to be repaired, I'll do it, but it wont be right away. I don't really have the $$$ since I'm getting married in 3 weeks lol.
If that Carver needs work there is no way you should put that kind of money into it. Save up just a few more $$'s (you will have wedding reception gifts you don't want :) ) and get the Crown XLS 1500. At least with that it's new and a 3 year no fault warranty.

Congrats on a nice score.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A Carver TFM-35 and Adcom GFP-565. :D

I'm not really sure if I am going to use the Adcom yet. Anyone know where I can find a replacement knob for the level control? It's missing for the Carver!
Wow that's sweet .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking good, enjoy your new find. You can go to Home Depot and look for knobs.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
Holy, crap! I know my Polk Audio Monitor 70 II aren't the best speakers in the world, but man did they wake up with the Carver. They sound so much cleaner, and I can drive those ****er higher than I can handle now. I went all the way up to +3 dB in my receiver, and they were freaking loud and sounded clear.

Before, the tweeter would be so freaking bright and annoying with certain music. Now, I can actually hear it clearly. I didn't know this would make such a difference.

Then again, I might just be dreaming, but it sound so much better. I want more power lol! This amp is over 30 yrs old and running strong! Wow, now that is some quality with original everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
jinjuku

jinjuku

You've most likely have heard clipping from the tweeter all this time. Congrats!

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
You've most likely have heard clipping from the tweeter all this time. Congrats!
Surely did! Now, I'm looking into buying another amp with 12v triggers, but I don't want to spend outrageous money cause the wife will prolly kill me lol

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
All I know is that my neighbors are going to hate me even more now lol.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
If that Carver needs work there is no way you should put that kind of money into it. Save up just a few more $$'s (you will have wedding reception gifts you don't want :) ) and get the Crown XLS 1500. At least with that it's new and a 3 year no fault warranty.

Congrats on a nice score.
At the moment it doesn't need any work. I called just to get an idea if it would be worth restoring it. I hope is lasts another 30 years. I'll look into the Crown. I was thinking of asking for an emotiva for Xmas.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis