What headphones do you use?

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Me, I just have my good ole Sony MDR-V6's, but I'm thinking of getting a nice set of Grado Prestige SR325i's.

MDR's.

Grado's

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sennheiser HD500's

Shure E2C's

And some Plantronics for the computer

SheepStar

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Senns HD580 99% of the time
Grado SR80's occasional use
Koss Porta Pros with portable listening devices

Nick

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Sennheiser HD280's...They work nice for what I use them for. (isolation when drumming)

SBF1

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have the Sony MDR-V6 as well. I really only use them when I am editing music ripped from a CD - not a huge fan of headphones for general listening.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Sennheiser HD580
Grado SR125

Shure E2C
Shure E3C

I almost have as many phones as I have speakers :D

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I love my Sony 7509's..(and I rarely ever buy anything made by Sony) They're like having a subwoofer attached to my ears. They need power though. Sound weak with the ipod, but to my receiver, amazing. Just have to eq the treble up just a notch. The bass is so good, and these go so incredibly loud without any sign of distortion, that you can seriously hurt your ears if you are not careful. Your eardrums will blow before any bass distorts. I don't think a human being is capable of hearing these distort. . Grados were far too high in the treble, weak on the bass. No amount of EQ helped. The Sonys can be EQ'd to sound exactly like you want, as much bass or teble as you like..no limitations. The Senns I tried were close, but these rock.

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I use my Sennheiser RS-120 wireless headphones literally every day. They are invaluble at night when watching TV or at any time when listening to music so that I don't bother others. They sound great, as good as FM can get.

I'd love to have a pair of AKG Hearo 999 digital wireless headphones but they are a bit pricey.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Sony NC50

Shure E2C

Pioneer SE-A1000- don't care for these but I need to get a new Plug for my Sony's thanks to my dog.

Anyone recommend a cheap amp?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sennheiser PX100 are the only 'cans I own right now.

SysteX

SysteX

Enthusiast
Beyerdynamic DT770/80s
Sony MDR-V700DJ (complete crap compared to the Beyer's)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd buy a portable amp for my iPod if somebody made one that used the digital dock connector. I don't see the point if I have to use the headphone jack.....

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I'd buy a portable amp for my iPod if somebody made one that used the digital dock connector. I don't see the point if I have to use the headphone jack.....
Explain plz.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I would just like to know.

I own an Iriver h10, and plan on buying a pair of grado 325i and an amp instead of a splitter.

Mostly cuase this girl I like listens to my Iriver more than me!

Matt34

Matt34

Wafflesomd said:
Explain plz.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I would just like to know.

I own an Iriver h10, and plan on buying a pair of grado 325i and an amp instead of a splitter.

Mostly cuase this girl I like listens to my Iriver more than me!
Most audio player devices including Ipods have built-in amplifiers that process the sound before you hear it through your phones. Some devices have weak amps, some have better ones. The major point of using a line-out would be for an external amp, because the sound leaving your player will be more "pure".

RRN,

This guy makes them. I'm getting the "Bling Bling Dock".:D
http://www.audiolineout.com/

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Why not use the analog out? The fidelity on iPods is excellent. The only issue is that the amplifier is not sufficient for driving high impedance headphones like Sennheisers and such. However, if you're using earbuds or my personal favorite, the MDR-V6 or 7506, the iPod will fare just fine.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I use the MDR-7506.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Why not use the analog out? The fidelity on iPods is excellent. The only issue is that the amplifier is not sufficient for driving high impedance headphones like Sennheisers and such. However, if you're using earbuds or my personal favorite, the MDR-V6 or 7506, the iPod will fare just fine.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I use the MDR-7506.
So you own a pair of 7506's?

I have the MDR-v6's, and my freind owns some 7506's. Is there any difference between the two? All I could find was a gold plug vs. a silver one.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
for home use I wafflew between Sebnnheiser 580's and Grado 80's depending on the tyoe of music being listened to and my mood. Generally, classical rates the Senns and rock and blues causes the Grado's to see action.

For portable use, I use Koss Porta-Pros if I'm gonna be quietly sitting on an airplane or, if I know I'm gonna get all hot and sweaty, my trusty old Realistiic Nova 35's.

Hey, I ain't married to 'em. Variery is nice here. That's what's so great about headphones. With cans, you can change your acoustic environment for pennies on the dollar compared to speakers in a room.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
markw said:
for home use I wafflew between Sebnnheiser 580's and Grado 80's depending on the tyoe of music being listened to and my mood. Generally, classical rates the Senns and rock and blues causes the Grado's to see action.

For portable use, I use Koss Porta-Pros if I'm gonna be quietly sitting on an airplane or, if I know I'm gonna get all hot and sweaty, my trusty old Realistiic Nova 35's.

Hey, I ain't married to 'em. Variery is nice here. That's what's so great about headphones. With cans, you can change your acoustic environment for pennies on the dollar compared to speakers in a room.
You use Porta Pros when seated next to someone? Wow, you're a jerk! Those things leaky more then Condo's. :p

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis