What has the biggest impact of sound quality in your Hi-Fi system?

What makes the biggest audible differences in a Hi-Fi system? (pick 3)

• Cables

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electronics - Amplifiers, Preamp, Source Device

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Room Acoustics

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • Source Material

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Speakers

Votes: 63 91.3%
  • Mood / Psychological factors

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Room Temperature

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Phases of the moon

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Power of suggestion

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While some focus on minutiae to “improve” the fidelity of their home theater or Hi-Fi playback system with esoteric tweaks and snake oil exotic cables, we instead suggest focusing on the big three that matter most; the quality of the source, the room acoustics, and the speakers.

If you don’t get those three things right, you're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Read: What Makes the Biggest Audible Differences in Home Theater?

What do you think has the biggest impact on fidelity in a Hi-Fi or Home Theater system? Please vote in our poll and give us the reasons in this thread.

T

Tumara Baap

Enthusiast
There's nothing wrong with room correction. It should always be done. There is nothing wrong with loudspeaker correction either. Except that it usually cannot be done - not in your room. Loudspeaker correction, of its sound power and frequency response, can be best executed with an anechoic chamber at one's disposal.

So the solution is to start with a devastatingly accurate loudspeaker. There is then no need for loudspeaker correction. Correction of room induced bass problems can then be mitigated by judicious use Anthem like system that calculates a target response based on both node corrections and beneficial room gain.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I didn't vote, the format is kind of wrong for my personal opinion (and the basis for my system building).

It all starts at the beginning, and goes toward the end, in that order.

In other words, the source is most important ... anything lost here (compromised, because we are not made of money and therefore have to accept compromise at every step) can never be recovered.

A lot of beginner and intermediate audiophiles do it the opposite ... speakers are most important, then power, then source. Don't worry ... everyone starts out that way, some never change. That's OK; it's your system, your money, and whatever you like is what you like.

But in the end, a good quality source will always produce a system with good overall fidelity, will reveal shortcomings in whatever components that follow (very important for system building) and broadly speaking will last much longer in a system before being surpassed and identified as the "weak link". It generally will resale well and more often than not, you will decide not to sell it at all, and end up in a second system or handed down to someone you know will appreciate it, because for a given outlay, it can't be replaced with a similar Sound Quality (SQ) unit.

The downside is it's hard to do it this way. It's always more exciting, for a while, to buy impressive speakers or more power, and let's be honest ... it won't result in a "bad sounding" system if you do it that way. The problem reveals itself later ... once you account for depreciation and improvements in the state of the art (which means, basically, "how good we know how to make things today") it's the more expensive path to what will eventually become the system you are totally happy with (okay, maybe totally satisfied with ... basically a point where if you don't spend any more money on the system, it still rocks your world).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm currently involved in the hopscotch game as I totally revamp a system I'd bought in 1989. Almost 3 years ago now I upgraded the receiver from a 1989 HK to a Denon AVR1912. The speakers being a pair of Hafler 200 also bought in '89, it was quite a revelation getting a pair of KEF R500. Now I like the sound so much better, though find the receiver and source material showing their shortcomings.

The receiver now goes into protect mode at the higher levels I could never enjoy before (can only test this when I'm home alone.) So this weekend I'm switching output of the CD player from RCA to the optical, and reassigning the two unused channels of the 7.1 receiver to bi-amp the L-R mains. The theory on that is instead of using the DAC of the CD player and sending signal thru the coax, send the pure digital signal and let the (arguably) better DAC of the receiver do the conversion. Bi-amping the L-R mains should get me the desired SPL without shutting down. Strange that only happens on some louder passages on certain tracks.

I will run this for a week or two and then begin the process of auditioning an NAD T758 and perhaps some others. Of course I expect to select something and then go back to fixing the source material and up the game again. My hope is that once I get to better quality digital files I can stand pat for a time.

Back to the question at hand, it really seems a chicken-egg thing to me though I do think it's the speakers which reveal (or hide) the most.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Speakers. While the source is critical, there are many sources... some of which you cannot control. If you make source your primary focus, you automatically eliminate a lot of discovery and good music. Pandora sounds better w/ good speakers than any lossless audio w/ poor speakers. And you don't have to "own" the music.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The receiver now goes into protect mode at the higher levels I could never enjoy before (can only test this when I'm home alone.) So this weekend I'm switching output of the CD player from RCA to the optical, and reassigning the two unused channels of the 7.1 receiver to bi-amp the L-R mains.
Nice test, please let us know whether you gain any extra SPL (if you can come to a conclusion).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't vote, the format is kind of wrong for my personal opinion (and the basis for my system building).

It all starts at the beginning, and goes toward the end, in that order.

In other words, the source is most important ... anything lost here (compromised, because we are not made of money and therefore have to accept compromise at every step) can never be recovered.

A lot of beginner and intermediate audiophiles do it the opposite ... speakers are most important, then power, then source. Don't worry ... everyone starts out that way, some never change. That's OK; it's your system, your money, and whatever you like is what you like.

But in the end, a good quality source will always produce a system with good overall fidelity, will reveal shortcomings in whatever components that follow (very important for system building) and broadly speaking will last much longer in a system before being surpassed and identified as the "weak link". It generally will resale well and more often than not, you will decide not to sell it at all, and end up in a second system or handed down to someone you know will appreciate it, because for a given outlay, it can't be replaced with a similar Sound Quality (SQ) unit.

The downside is it's hard to do it this way. It's always more exciting, for a while, to buy impressive speakers or more power, and let's be honest ... it won't result in a "bad sounding" system if you do it that way. The problem reveals itself later ... once you account for depreciation and improvements in the state of the art (which means, basically, "how good we know how to make things today") it's the more expensive path to what will eventually become the system you are totally happy with (okay, maybe totally satisfied with ... basically a point where if you don't spend any more money on the system, it still rocks your world).
Sorry, I am confused and would appreciate it if you can clarify the following for me.

1) To me, by source material I assume it meant the quality of the recording, mastering, transfer etc., that is the process that goes from recording the music in the studio, or live venue etc., to the final media, be it in the form of FLAC, wave, at xbit/ykHz files, CD, DVDA, SACD, vinyl etc. Did you interpret it the same or you are thinking the media source player?

2) I also assume the poll meant to be just "pick 3", no mentioning of in whar order, am I wrong? If I am, then I would agree source material comes first, but again I am not sure if you and I assume source material mean exactly the same thing.

Thanks

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Clearly the subwoofer. For most systems, the subwoofer will make more difference in the sound than all of the rest of the system combined.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers. While the source is critical, there are many sources... some of which you cannot control. If you make source your primary focus, you automatically eliminate a lot of discovery and good music. Pandora sounds better w/ good speakers than any lossless audio w/ poor speakers. And you don't have to "own" the music.
Ken is right, at least imo, that source material and speakers are like chicken and egg. However, if we can be more specific by say, assume the speakers pass a reasonable smell test then I must insist, though still just imo, source material is by far the first.

Now let me use two examples:

System One - Source material first

Speakers: KEFR500, Ascend Sierra 2, Golden Ear Trinton.
Amps: AVR-4XXX, Yamaha RX-V1XXX, NAD T75X, Anthem MRX or others in the same price/specs bracket.
Media player: PC+JRiver, itune, or Fobar.

System Two - Speaker first, source material second or third.

Same as above but substitute speaker choice with speakers below $500 brand new, including Pioneer and Infiniti's P36X.

My point is, if you speakers are considered near the point of diminishing return in terms overall accuracy, low distortions and dynamics, the source material pretty much determine whether you can enjoy hifi sound quality. By hifi, my reference point is live music.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
My point is, if you speakers good enough to be near the point of diminishing return in terms overall accuracy, low distortions and dynamics, the source material pretty much determine whether you can enjoy hifi sound quality.
Your point on diminishing return is excellent. When comparing source vs. speakers, whichever is farthest below the point of diminishing return is the best candidate for improvement. If you have an HDD full of lossless audio, and crappy speakers, you should upgrade your speakers. If you have boxes full of scratched albums and a good set of speakers, you should upgrade your source. If starting from scratch, you should seek balance.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Room treatments! I agree with the speakers and source being important, but your room is way too often neglected! It isn't "sexy" to treat the room.

I'm also guilty of this.

Also, taking the time to tweak, listen, tweak, optimize can gain real improvements. You owe it to yourself to go through this routine before plunking down more $ that may or may not fix the problem.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From a practical standpoint, much of what determines the quality of the source material is out of our control. If deep bass is heavy and boomy because mini-monitors were used for mixing, there is not much we can do about it. Aside from Herbu's example of damaged media, we are really stuck with the recording quality.

I guess that is not totally true. I like lots of jazz music from the 40's and 50's, but I only listen to modern covers of that music because the old ones invariably have lots of SQ issues (primarily thin tinny sound). The old recordings just suck too much to enjoy on any system, IMHO!
So, I control source material by not buying 50+ year old recordings, but for about everything else, am pretty much stuck with the recording as it was made.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
From a practical standpoint, much of what determines the quality of the source material is out of our control. If deep bass is heavy and boomy because mini-monitors were used for mixing, there is not much we can do about it. Aside from Herbu's example of damaged media, we are really stuck with the recording quality.

I guess that is not totally true. I like lots of jazz music from the 40's and 50's, but I only listen to modern covers of that music because the old ones invariably have lots of SQ issues (primarily thin tinny sound). The old recordings just suck too much to enjoy on any system, IMHO!
So, I control source material by not buying 50+ year old recordings, but for about everything else, am pretty much stuck with the recording as it was made.
A different interpretation of source material--CDs will always sound better than cassettes.

The old computer motto applies here perfectly: "Garbage In, Garbage Out"

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I would just disagree slightly, remember my thread that was intended to collect high quality recordings? Last time I checked, we had over 100 on the list. if you take the time you can find the better versions of what you like or we can just download from itune and be happy. I do agree to a large extent that we don't have as much control as we do in selecting our speakers, REQ systems and room treatments.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Of the top 10 things in a sound system that I can improve or modify, the first 9 would be the speakers.

Coming in 10th would be the amplification – only in the sense that the amps must have enough juice to drive the speakers without clipping.

Recording quality of source material is important, but like KEW says we can only take it or leave it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A different interpretation of source material--CDs will always sound better than cassettes.

The old computer motto applies here perfectly: "Garbage In, Garbage Out"
Good point, but I have since read the article linked. It did mean the quality of the recording.:D

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I voted room acoustics, speakers, and mood for what affects my listening. I'm very surprised that source material is higher than mood based on all the talk on this forum about blind listening tests and what influences our hearing. Its not a criticism, just an observation.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your point on diminishing return is excellent. When comparing source vs. speakers, whichever is farthest below the point of diminishing return is the best candidate for improvement. If you have an HDD full of lossless audio, and crappy speakers, you should upgrade your speakers. If you have boxes full of scratched albums and a good set of speakers, you should upgrade your source. If starting from scratch, you should seek balance.
Fully agree, "balance" is the key word. Well, Paul did say: "in no particular order. It’s a three-way tie." That works for me, and I rarely fully agree with anyone.:D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I voted room acoustics, speakers, and mood for what affects my listening. I'm very surprised that source material is higher than mood based on all the talk on this forum about blind listening tests and what influences our hearing. Its not a criticism, just an observation.
Very true, if I am not in the mood I would just go do something else. There were times, and often enough, I intended to sit down and enjoy my two channel set up for at least an hour, but a few minutes later I turned it off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I voted room acoustics, speakers, and "all of the above" the psycho-acoustic factors are pretty hard to get traction on because they vary so much between situations and people. In a kind of reverse approach, I enjoy Tracey Chapman, but there is always a sense of foreboding... because I was reading a Stephen King novel the first time I listened to one of her albums! Anytime I listen to Flash or Peter Banks, I am transported back to some great feelings associated with my high school years! Brandenburg Concertos - getting busy with my thesis in grad school, etc. To be clear, it is more the feeling than the memory that the music brings back to me. It just seems like if music can imprint with my situation the way it does, the reverse is also true. I might enjoy Chapman better were it not for reading Stephen King at that point in time!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis