What exactly is a "multi-format" DVD?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is the most recent release and the one you want; yes it is the Criterion. Multiformat means it has both a BD and a DVD in the case. Excellent set for one of my favorite films.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am intrigued. When I click on the links I get "Watership Down". I also get a description of the Criteriion as a collection of "important films". I guess I have no understanding of what the Criterion Collection is. I know what Watership Down is : its a great story. Help for the uninitiated and culturally illiterate amongst us?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was surprised it was added to the Criterion collection as well, but the story is great if a not so concealed. The book was quite excellent; I own a hard cover copy. It is quite oppressive and is most definitely a social commentary with a very interesting way of telling this story with beautiful animation for the time period ('78). Though more relevant to past events perhaps, with the current terrorist climate it still manages to be fairly current today. Definitely not a kid's film. The voice acting is also good, featuring the late John Hurt as the main character. I presume from the tone and the solidity of the film as a whole, I am glad that it was added to the Criterion Collection.

H

hatman900

Audiophyte
That is the most recent release and the one you want; yes it is the Criterion. Multiformat means it has both a BD and a DVD in the case. Excellent set for one of my favorite films.

Thank you.
The specs say there is just one disk -- does that sound correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The dvd alone is one disc. However, I haven't run into the single combo bluray/dvd disc that the multi-format is offered in before either.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Multi format would indicate a separate DVD is in the package along with the BD. So effectively you get the same DVD in the DVD only package along with the BD copy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Multi format would indicate a separate DVD is in the package along with the BD. So effectively you get the same DVD in the DVD only package along with the BD copy.
That's what I expected, but it seems there is only one disc, per Amazon's description, in the multi-format kit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I expected, but it seems there is only one disc, per Amazon's description, in the multi-format kit.
I will check mine when I get home. I only watched the BD and don't recall looking for the other disc, though I am sure it is there. True "dual format" are usually flipper discs and I haven't seen any of those in a long time.

H

hatman900

Audiophyte
I will check mine when I get home. I only watched the BD and don't recall looking for the other disc, though I am sure it is there. True "dual format" are usually flipper discs and I haven't seen any of those in a long time.
What did you learn?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I totally spaced on this one. I checked Blu-ray.com and Criterion's site and they both list it as one BD disc only.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis