What does it look like behind a THX screen?

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Here is one such screen the Empire Leicester Square in London’s West End which was only refitted this summertime with an incredible JBL loudspeaker array and THX licence.

The original JBL specification that was installed back in 1989 only lasted till the late of 1999 until the THX licence was withdrawn. As some of you know there are very tight restrictions on the THX cinema licence, where if you fail to meet the next inspection the THX licence and any advertisement martial trailers would be forbidden under the THX licence agreement.

Sounds kinder tight doesn’t it, if you have noisy AC or other you’re stuffed, the Empire had one problem with the AC but it never really distracted me from the motion picture exhibition of the film. I have however heard far worse nosy AC in my local cinema here in Bournemouth ODEON screen #6.

But the Empire is most defiantly back on the map, and with a JBL sound power that comes from an array of Crown amplification that is a staggering 56KW this is the ultimate THX screen in the whole United Kingdom if not the world!

With a sub bass array of x16 JBL 4645C which is 13 feet wide and 8 feet high that supersedes the existing x8 JBL 4645 tenfold!

The surrounds have gone from x22 JBL 8830 to the newer JBL 8340 x42

The screen channels are a five-screen array that works with all the 70mm six-track mag formats from Todd-AO to Dolby Stereo format 41 42 and 43, also there is SDDS8 Channel along with dts and dts 70. Dolby Stereo Digital Surround-EX can also be found at the Empire and with an atmosphere to impress the most die hard cinema goer.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
How did you get all these great pictures? Do you work there?:D

Great, thanks.
Surely seems impressive. How does it sound? Is it ever crowded? Huge theater.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
No longer work for UCI I used to work for the UCI cinema chain former UCI it’s now under a different name simply called Empire!

The pictures are out there on the Internet, I would like to get some personal ones of every corner in the cinema, but that would require a special invitation but seeing that I once worked for them and Warner Bros cinemas it shouldn’t be a problem.

I have found other pictures of the Empire I’ll transfer those over sometime tonight UK time.;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Very cool. And who knew, Crown amplification. Where's their THX logo? :rolleyes:

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Looks very impressive and the lighting is totally groovy :p

You must be able to toast bread on that amp rack!

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Very cool. And who knew, Crown amplification. Where's their THX logo? :rolleyes:
Buckeyefan 1

The THX logo doesn’t get stamped on the audio equipment like home THX does, the only part of the THX audio equipment to carry the THX logo is the THX 3417 or THX D-20 which is the crossover monitor that filters the lows and highs assigned for the screen array.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
That's mighty impressive. Thanks for posting the pics.

What did you do for Empire?

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Tomorrow

Nothing I might have once worked for UCI back in the early days of 1989 and 1990 at one of there smaller multiplex sites as a projectionist. But those days are long past now.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Me too, that’s part of the THX magic that makes sound in the cinema so damn indispensable. It wouldn’t be a big deal to build a home THX baffle wall providing the user is using it with a video projector.

Feeling the strength of the power with Kahn lifting Chekov off the floor was felt now that was quite impressive even when seated half way back in the auditorium here! On the Star Trek day, Sunday 8th October 1989!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Dolby CP-200 said:
Yip, no prisoners!:D
Yea, have fun. I wish I could just go there.:mad:, but I am poor. Buy my ticket please.:D

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Seth=L said:
Yea, have fun. I wish I could just go there.:mad:, but I am poor. Buy my ticket please.:D
Seth=L

Yeah sure it’s only £7.00 for a plump plush red rocker chair interior decoration and lighting to make any one drool and THX JBL sound power, sure what’s £7.00.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ah, I meant a plane ticket.:D And while you are at it can you make a reservation at a nice lodge?:D

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Seth=L

Yeah sure, who do you think you are the Queen of England?:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Dolby CP-200 said:
Seth=L

Yeah sure, who do you think you are the Queen of England?:D
Perhaps I am the Queen of England, or maybe I am a Bose marketing technician. You just never know.:D

I suppose I should stop thread crapping and such.:)

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Seth=L

Well either way I’m not loaded with dosh to spread around I’m a poor person trying to live on £30 pounds for two weeks.:(

But if you send a cardboard cut out of yourself I could place it in the next seat at the Empire.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis