What does 75 Ohm mean?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>When I read about using 75Ohm coax cable, I understand what cable everyone is talking about. &nbsp;But, what does it mean, what is 75 Ohm about it? &nbsp;If it is so great for audio and video interconnects, wouldn't a good microphone cable that has 3.5 pF per foot be even better (not to mention not a whole lot more expensive and more flexible)?</font>

J

jeh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>75 ohms is the cable's impedance. &nbsp;You can't measure this with an ohmmeter. &nbsp;It is not a &quot;per foot&quot; figure. &nbsp;3.5 pF/foot mic cable might be 75 ohms, or lower, or higher impedance, depending; cable impedance doesn't matter for baseband audio, unless you're dealing with telephone lines or other very long lines. &nbsp;

Cable impedance does matter for digital audio and for video because you're dealing with much higher frequencies - impedances must be matched, source to cable to load, or else you get &quot;reflections&quot; that corrupt the signal as seen by the receiver.</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>JEH, thanks for the reply, but I think you missed my question, &nbsp;what is being referred to when a cable is called 75 ohm? &nbsp;What is 75 ohm, the source sending the signal through the cable or the load at the other end? &nbsp;Or is it 75 ohm per mile (kilometer) or something like that? &nbsp;Like the guy with a gun to his head in one of the Dirty Harry movies - &quot;I gots to know man.&quot;</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Mudcat : <font color='#000000'>JEH, thanks for the reply, but I think you missed my question,  what is being referred to when a cable is called 75 ohm?  What is 75 ohm, the source sending the signal through the cable or the load at the other end?  Or is it 75 ohm per mile (kilometer) or something like that?  Like the guy with a gun to his head in one of the Dirty Harry movies - &quot;I gots to know man.&quot;</font>
<font color='#000000'>It is the ratio of the voltage to the current within the cable when used as a transmission line.

At high frequencies, the signal travels along the cable at some prop speed, like half lightspeed, and that V/I relation holds.

Why important? &nbsp;For high freq signals, if the end of that 75 ohm cable sees exactly 75 ohms, then all the signal goes into the next part, be it a cable, or a load.

If the load is not exactly 75 ohms, then some of the signal will be reflected back along the wire to it's source. if the source is not exactly 75 ohms, it will reflect the reflection back towards the load again, and the load will see both parts, and not know which is the intended signal, and which is a time delayed reflection.

This is kind of like yelling down a really long hallway..if the end of the hall is open, none of the sound will return, if there is a wall, you will hear a reflection. (this is not an exact analogy, as a 75 ohm cable will also reflect if the end is unterminated, but, I figured it was good enough)

Those reflections can be confused with date if they are large enough, that can happen with video and rf stuff..For analog audio, it is not an issue..unless the wire length becomes unusually long..

Cheers, John</font>

J

jeh

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Mudcat : JEH, thanks for the reply, but I think you missed my question,  what is being referred to when a cable is called 75 ohm?  What is 75 ohm, the source sending the signal through the cable or the load at the other end?  Or is it 75 ohm per mile (kilometer) or something like that?  Like the guy with a gun to his head in one of the Dirty Harry movies - &quot;I gots to know man.&quot;
Well, I answered you - 75 ohms is the cable's impedance.

But, let's try to do better than just hanging a name on it.

Impedance in general is a sort of effective resistance that only applies to alternating current. It is the resistance offered to the flow of AC. It may or may not be different from the DC resistance.  For a simple composition resistor, for example, the DC resistance and the AC impedance are the same for most practical uses; but for a wirewound resistor or a coil, the impedance to AC current flow will be higher than the DC resistance.

(By the way, by &quot;AC&quot; here we really mean &quot;time-varying&quot;, not necessarily &quot;alternating.&quot;  A single pulse from 0 to 20 ma and back to 0 is &quot;time-varying&quot; and so is considered &quot;AC&quot; even though it never actually &quot;alternates&quot; its polarity.)

The reason is that a time-varying current induces a time-varying magnetic field, which in turn tries to induce current in the same conductor - but in the opposite direction.  The effect of this differs with frequency.  Capacitance also contributes to impedance.

In the case of coaxial cable, think about it like this:

Suppose we have a cable of very long length and we connect a battery to it - say positive to center conductor and negative to shield.  We leave the far end open for now.

As soon as the battery is connected, it will attempt to charge the cable as a capacitor is charged, positive charge on the center and negative on the shield. This charge takes time to propagate &quot;down&quot; the cable. Incidently the velocity factor of a cable is simply the fraction of C at which this happens.  If the cable has a VF of 0.89, the figure for RG59 coax, then charge - or changes of charge - propagate through the cable at 89% of the speed of light.

(The electrons themselves don't move anywhere near that fast; in fact &quot;electron drift velocity&quot; is at rather ordinary speeds, but that's another discussion.)

Now think about the point of view of the battery.  Current is being drawn to charge this very long capacitor.  If you measure the current and divide that into the battery voltage,  E/I, the answer comes out in ohms.  It's the cable's impedance. Z=E/I.  Ohm's Law for AC.

The greater the per-foot capacitance of the cable  (for example, the closer the conductors are to each other), the faster it will draw current, therefore the lower the impedance. Conversely, the greater the inductance per foot, the more the &quot;back EMF&quot; fights the charging current, therefore the greater the impedance.  

Impedance does not vary with the length of the cable - it is not &quot;75 ohms per mile&quot; or whatever as resistance would be. The usual formula for impedance is:  Z = sqrt (L / C), where L is inductance in henries and C is of course capacitance in farads.  A little thought will show you that for a cable, both the inductance and capacitance are quoted per unit length, but the &quot;per unit length&quot; cancels itself out of that formula as it appears on both sides of the fraction bar.

Or - The longer the cable, the more capacitance there is to charge, but also, the farther away that additional capacitance is.  The rate at which charge propagates down the cable doesn't change when you make the cable longer! So making the cable longer doesn't change the impedance.

The impedance of a component usually has a DC resistance component as well. However in the case of cable this is negligible for practical lengths.

You asked about the ends... well, in most audio work, we don't much care about them, or about the cable impedance either. In most line-level analog hookups, your source impedance is around 100 ohms (sometimes as high as 600, sometimes only a few tens of ohms in high end gear),  your load impedance is at least 10K ohms, and the cable impedance is whatever it happens to be.  This works fine. 75 ohm cable works fine but isn't necessary.  Same is true for speakers: Power amplifier outputs are small fractions of an ohm, speakers are eight ohms, cable impedance doesn't matter (series resistance does matter though). Same for microphones, although the differences (source to load impedance) aren't as great.

The reason it doesn't matter is that for audio work your cable is a tiny fraction of the wavelength in the cable.  The shortest audio wavelengths are, say, 20 kHz; at 20 kHz with a cable VF about 0.89, wavelength is about eight and a quarter miles, and at lower frequencies it is even longer. So, telephone system engineers do have to worry about impedance matching, but audio engineers don't. In fact for most sources and loads, if your load impedance actually matched the source, it would try to draw too much current!

If your cable length is a significant fraction of your wavelength, though, impedance mathcing does matter. Let's think about this.

Go back to the battery and very long cable. If the cable is of inifinite length, charge just keeps propagating down the cable forever. If instead we connect an AC signal source, and we go travelling down the cable with a scope with a high-impedance probe, then at any point on the cable (barring attenuation due to distance) we can measure the same signal.

But now instead think what happens with a cable of practical length. Go back to the &quot;battery&quot; model for a moment. What happens when that propagating charge gets all the way to the end?  

Well, the current obviously can't keep going.  Nor can it just disappear. What happens is that it is &quot;reflected&quot; off the end of the cable, back toward the source.

That's pretty clear. What isn't so clear is that if you short the end of the cable the same thing happens.

The reason is that the impedance of the cable has abruptly changed at the end - whether it's open or shorted.  In the case of the &quot;open&quot;, what is propagated back to the source is the stoppage of current flow.   In the case of the short, it's an increased current draw as the short tries to discharge the capacitance of the cable into zero ohms, and this discharge current propagates back up the cable to the source.

If the cable length is short w.r.t. the wavelength this isn't a problem. The voltage is the same &quot;everywhere at once&quot; on the cable, even with the reflections. But if the wavelength is short enough (or the cable is long enough), the reflections cause corruptions of the waveform you're trying to send.

The cure is to ensure the cable is terminated (at both ends) with a source and load that match the cable impedance.

Think about the battery again. Suppose we have a 75 ohm cable. To the end of the cable we connect a 75 ohm resistor. When the charge propagating down the cable reaches this resistor, it continues drawing current at the same rate! We do the same thing at the source, and we have a matched transmission line. The terminating resistors simulate a cable of infinite length.

In digital audio, your max frequency is up around 6 MHz. Wavelength is now down around 145 feet in cable with a VF of 0.89. A cable of just 12 feet, well within the length guidelines for s/pdif or IEC958 as it is now called, is a significant fraction of this. So impedance matching is important. It's also important in baseband video, where your top frequencies are about the same - try using 50 ohm cable instead of 75 ohms, and you will see your images are softened a bit. If your cable is long enough you will even see a &quot;ghost&quot; image on the screen slightly to the right of the real one. You are literally seeing a reflection of the original signal, bounced back down the cable to the source and then back again.

The 50 ohm story (actually it's about all coax impedances, not just 50 ohms)

Velocity factor (VF) of common coaxial cables

Transmission line problems (that is, &quot;class problems&quot; and solutions that help in understanding)

Practical Line-Driving Current Requirements , particularly the section titled &quot;simplifying a complex problem&quot;

Impedance matching for microphones

s/pdif interface

(edit) p.s.: &nbsp;Please let me know if this helps, makes things more or less clear, etc.!</font>

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>JEH, are you a teacher?  That was the answer I was looking for, thanks.  It was clear and easy to understand.  I'm a mechanical engineer and usually do not have a problem understanding things electrical (although where I work, the electrical engineers I work with are the people who provide the wires that allow my toys to do work, and wear plastic pocket protectors.  While us MEs have pony tails, facial hair, and wear Doc Martins.  Don't get me started on nukies).  But this 75 ohm thing had me stumped, and my books were of no help (and neither were the EEs).

Thanks</font>

madonion

madonion

Audiophyte
@jeh

thank you. It's a long time i was looking for an imaginable explanation for something i knew from formula and calculus. The analogy was missing. If you aren't you should consider becoming a teacher :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
<font color='#000000'>When I read about using 75Ohm coax cable, I understand what cable everyone is talking about. &nbsp;But, what does it mean, what is 75 Ohm about it? &nbsp;If it is so great for audio and video interconnects, wouldn't a good microphone cable that has 3.5 pF per foot be even better (not to mention not a whole lot more expensive and more flexible)?</font>
First of all it has nothing to do with the resistance of the cable as measured by a VOM.

What it is, is the impedance per foot.

The object is to match the source to the load. In video and digital coax circuits the impedance is 75 ohms. So the cable characteristic must connect source and load so it the source sees 75 ohm impedance no matter how long the cable.

The standard for unbalanced audio cable is 50 Ohm per foot. Balanced microphone cable 600 ohm per foot.

The problem becomes very acute when the frequency of the signal is high such as in video and digital interconnects. A miss matched cable results in reflections back up the cable. In video circuits this results in image ghosting and other anomalies. In digital circuits it results in lost data, and if error correction is exceeded drop outs.

It is never a good idea to use cables mismatched to load and source.

For your further reading.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis