S

stizach

Audiophyte
I currently have a complete 5.1 set-up using an onkyo 702 reciever which I plan to upgrade for outlaw seperates also I have athena f2 for front, c1 for center and f2 for rear with a cerwin vega 12" sub that will soon be a velodyne my source is a denon dvd-2900. My question is I think I could get better sound by replacing the athena gear with axiom would this be a good upgrade or will I see a bigger improvment by switching out the onkyo to seprates, also i need to complete my bedroom system so I can move the athena gear in there, so what do you guys suggest I do?

I'am open to all suggestions to better improve my overall sound quality please help

A

AudioSeer

Junior Audioholic
You have to take your time and quantify what you are looking for in an upgrade. Better bass? Smoother highs?

Speakers have a much greater impact on sound quality than amplification (assuming that existing amplification is adequate). The caveat is that your amplification must be a good match for your speakers. Many receivers won't drive audiophile grade speakers which drop down below 4 ohms.

After you decide on what you are looking for, I would take your time and visit various hi-fi shops auditioning speakers. If you can get the dealer to let you audition them at home - all the better. Let your own ears make the decision.

After you decide on speakers, then it is time to find an amplifier that is a good match with those speakers.

Have you tried treating your room with bass traps and absorption/diffusion panels? They can help immensely.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis