What Audio PreAmp Should I Get?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I wanted to know what preamp should I get for my home theater it has to be a 5.1 or a 7.1 I only use 5.1 anyway but can't go any more than $200 and it has to sound really good. 5.1 Surround sound is what i'm looking for and I have 3 Crown xli 800's already but it has a dampening factor of 200 and so I like to go loud and it has to sound good even at high levels if I wanted to. I don't think my old yamaha's will do that job and they are more than likely to be not lasting much longer since one of mine had got some repair coming it's way it got a blown capacitor today and so I have no audio that is in surround sound right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you have power amps maybe something like the Marantz pre-amps (7701 mk2 perhaps) would be in order but really any avr with pre-outs would work just as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I wanted to know what preamp should I get for my home theater it has to be a 5.1 or a 7.1 I only use 5.1 anyway but can't go any more than $200 and it has to sound really good. 5.1 Surround sound is what i'm looking for and I have 3 Crown xli 800's already but it has a dampening factor of 200 and so I like to go loud and it has to sound good even at high levels if I wanted to. I don't think my old yamaha's will do that job and they are more than likely to be not lasting much longer since one of mine had got some repair coming it's way it got a blown capacitor today and so I have no audio that is in surround sound right now.
You aren't likely to find anything that's very good for $200 unless you get lucky.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I completely missed the $200 part. Maybe a used avr with pre-outs is more what to look for....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does not exist. Maybe used, but will certainly not be current. Even most $200 AVRs won't have preamp outputs for all channels.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Look at the Sony TA-E9000ES. These sell for around $300.00 on ebay today. I purchased one new for about $1750 back in 2000. No issues with it so far. It's a 5.1 unit which seems to be what you want.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis