What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

GLORY
(1989)
Dolby Stereo / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Imported from USA last month second edition pressing.
I didn't like the way the end credits was cut at the end of disc 1 side 2 with end credits continuing on disc 2 side 3 due to having the documentary placed on side 3.

A bit of laser rot on side 3.

Brought another imported one from USA, first pressing release 1990. Much better with film cut nicely over 2 discs 3 sides and no distractions.

Side break disc change over form disc 1 to disc 2.

Disc 2 side 3, starts up nicely with rest of the film playing out though to the end credits.

The film has been watched many times particularly the "Fort Wanger battle" that has emotional moving, James Horner score leading up to the battle then cuts to the oscar winning sound mixing of the sound effects.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
EARTHQUAKE (1974)
Stereo matrix surround Dolby / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Panned and scanned edition going very cheap I had to buy it even thou I have the letterbox later pressing and DVD, bluray.

"Yeah that was a jolt"!

This was cracking granddaddy bass/sub bass at the local ABC 1 in 70mm SENSURROUND in early Feb '75, even thoy the film had been already playing for a month and played in the same screen for a few more months. They don't have digital films today that play for 4 or so months on the same screen and with bass pressing into your chest!

Nice scary deep rumble in the elevator scene.

Sub bass levels are off the chat!

Visible reel change over dot in the upper right corner of the panned and scanned.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Dolby Stereo / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Nice use of matrix surrounds on this classic film picked up at Sunday market a few weeks ago for £1.00.

Picture transfer not bad at all like to also get the NTSC laserdisc letterbox pressing soon...

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Sound mix a bit overrated. Most of the time the dialouge is so soft and distant against the loudness of sound effects and music. Less noisy scenes with dialouge to catch plot details?

I found, Bane to be almost laughable at the start of the film when he spoke! The dialouge is spread across LCR or rather phantom onto LR was a bit distracting! Well I can always fit the other Dolby PL in-between LR and switch the PL ON to divert the phantom to extra Le Re channels or place it elsewhere other than LR as been seated off centre line not that it makes a blind difference in my room as the LR give a good phantom in stereo 2ch mode. It was just so damn annoying with, Bane dialouge! Also sounding louder than everyone else's dialouge as if that breathing mask was a frigging megaphone!

I sooner prefer, Micheal Keaton as BATMAN!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
MIDWAY (1976)
Stereo matrix surround Dolby / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional.

Nice booms of bass/sub bass down to 30Hz!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Star Wars VII - Excellent Movie, no spoilers will be posted, a MUST SEE at a Theater.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Both on Netflix: Bad Santa. Want A Sandwich? :D
Radio City Christmas Show. Amazing Audio. Felt like I was there.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
What I am watching...?
Why the Doctor Who Christmas Special of course...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@fuzz092888
Saw Minions with my son (he only expressed interested for about 5mins - too young)
Impressions - great CG animation, but very light on actual story. Feels like overly extended short firm.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Game of Thrones, HBO has been having a 3+ day Marathon season 1-5, so I was finally after all this time able to get into the series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hemlock Grove Season 3 is even worse than season 2. :eek:

Season 3 is retarded. 100% unfocused. No plot whatsoever.

What the heck is wrong with Netflix?

Last edited:
Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Season One of "Ash vs Evil Dead"...

Starz had a week long free preview and showed the whole season as a marathon Saturday...

Ash said "groovy" only once... throughly disappointed...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ted2 completely stomps Ted into the ground from male oriented pigdom humor. I was crying through parts of it I was laughing so hard.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE (1999)
Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 with PLIIx / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

For THX laserdisc this is nice NTSC Japanese pressing.

Jar, Jar, Binks, directional dialouge pan to stage left, with a small level half pan in the centre. Got listen to notice these details.

Maul, double blade lightsaber sounds wicked cool with half pan in centre with rest of the blade lighting up from left to right that makes me look to left/right with smooth soft top end on the matched JBL horns and nice warm bass mid that is felt! With SW LFE.1 accompanying the scene with levels trimmed so the SW doesn't make itself too noticeable.

Foley sound effects of foot punches as Maul kicks Obi-Wan, half centre with harder kick left stage. Lots going on in each cut scene that is a bit faster than the original trilogy where it was all slower and mostly held the screen for many seconds, here its like few seconds then cut to another angle and another angle way, too fast, got be listening fast to noticing it all!

Obi-Wan, runs up towards on-screen with the sound of his lightsaber being heard along the right surround arrays to perfect tonal frequency and then change in the mix level freq when seconds later on stage channels. It makes me look turn to right while keeping my left eye on-screen with my right eye still catching the on-screen while left eye sees more of the right surrounds and rear back surrounds.

Nice stage bass on centre with rest reverberation over L/R Maul, hits the deck with a SLAM! How anyone can stand up after a fall like?

Qui-Gon, jumps down to tackle Maul, or finish him off.

Nice Maul, Foley foot punch to Qui-Gon, Chin! get it? :DBass nicely felt with stage channels then the SW cuts in again the lightsabers giving forceful SLAM and DEPTH!

Obi-Wan hanging on to the edge with a thunderous roar on the back JBL 8330, flash back of the cinema when listening too the same JBL. Makes me look right around over my shoulder and barely keeping left eye on the screen, not distracted on bit this made it fully force Dolby exciting.

Getting really Dolby sound THX JBL excited now! The sweat is starting to make my palms slippy I need to dry my hands. What JBL THX Dolby sound rush!

Get in there Qui- Gon! I can feel the sound moving forwards with bass mid with each lightsaber SLAM! As Qui-Gon, pushes Maul, back.

WOW I am out of breath! But my JBL THX isn't still plenty of steam on tap.

E

EndrjuVIP

Audiophyte
My today night movie: ''The Heat'' on Blu-Ray... Best movie from me...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched the first Expendables last night never having watched it or the 2nd one. It cracked me up. Definitely a male "feel good" flick.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Expendables 2... I needed to watch an emotionally charged flick to make me feel better. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis