What are you reading right now?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Whether it's on an eReader or it's a traditionally printed item, what are you reading right now?

I just finished a paperback book by Alex Kava titled A Necessary Evil. A nice thriller about someone killing priests in a cold, calculated manner. It was very good.

Before that it was The Grapes of Wrath. Grapes is on of those books I read 2-3 times a year. That and to Kill A Mocking Bird.

I'm planning on reading Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation next. A novel about her and her sister going on vacation visiting spots devoted to the murders of presidents, Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley.
I love Sarah Vowell and have read all of her books up to this one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You beat me to it I was gonna start this thread. I ordered this a couple of days ago:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right now I'm reading the complete works of Franz Kafka and The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Good stuff. Kafka is kind of meh.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Read in the lase few weeks:

Full Black & Foreign Influence by Brad Thor
Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore
Mistress by James Patterson

I like to read a bit.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've read lone survivor, the Steve Jobs biography, and just started super freakonomics and thinking fast and slow.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If The Dead Rise Not, by Philip Kerr. It's part of an excellent series about a Berlin police detective who leaves the force when Hitler comes to power because he hates the Nazis. The series is very well-written and if you like mysteries with a bit of complexity, I highly recommend it.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I normally read non-fiction (history/politics) but the missus recommended the Justin Cronin vampire trilogy, The Passage. I'm now finishing the follow up in the series, The Twelve, and really looking forward to the third and final installment, The City of Mirrors, due out sometime this year. There is no doubt in my mind that this is coming to the big screen in the near future, since FOX 2000 bought the screen rights to it in 2007, and whether it will have the same impact as the trilogy. Highly recommended. :cool:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
BTW if you are a history buff I can highly recommend 2 books that I just finished up, Peter The Great: His Life and Worldby Robert K. Massie and Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow.

If you want to get a long overview of Russian history, its people & its dreams and the reality of its current existence, this biography will give you a better understanding. Once you realize how Peter the Great literally dragged the Russian people kicking & screaming into the modern western world, you start to understand how there will always be a hesitancy and reluctance, on the part of the Russian people to do so, unless they are forced to. Given a choice, I suspect most would stay in hibernation, like the proverbial Russian bear. While they are fascinated, like Peter himself, with our advanced scientific discoveries, they are also repulsed by our day to day mores. It’s a tug on their consciousness that still hasn’t been resolved to this day and may never be. Most of my reading on Russian history has been centered on the rise of Lenin/Stalin at the turn of the last century, WWII and its disastrous results for the Russian people. But after reading this book you start to understand the past is very much affecting its present predicament and their inability to break the cycle of needing a “strong” man to lead them forward.

George Washington. What’s the first thing you think of, besides the dollar bill? The myth and legend of the man, and not just here but worldwide, is so set in our collective consciousness that he might as well be Santa Claus. Luckily someone has finally has put some flesh & blood to the man with this recently released biography. You see the ambition & craving for recognition to become more than just a footnote to history and have a say in the upcoming changes to our country. Some see a reluctant leader thrust into the maelstrom of revolutionary times or that’s what the civics books and previous biographies would lead you to believe. But Chernow digs deeper into the man by mining the existing historical papers on George nationwide, from Richmond to NYC. You read, in his letters to friends & fellow politicians, the abhorrence but tolerance of slavery and the prescient views that it would tear the country apart if not addressed. His infinite patience with the conflicting views of Hamilton & Jefferson and not to take sides. And most importantly his wise choice to step down after 2 terms and the impact it had on American history; a lesson a lot of worldwide leaders of emerging nations would be wise to emulate.

Both are long reads but worth it.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I got Joyland and Doctor Sleep for myself for xmass, I am done with Doctor sleep and started Joyland a little over a week ago {its short I am about finished, I keep my books by the bed and average about 10 books a year, but these 2 have me pretty regular.... My oldest son is now reading Doctor sleep he said he likes thus far {he had to read shining first {this is a sequel}, which we had a leather bound hard cover on the shelf untouched for a long time, lol}

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've read lone survivor, the Steve Jobs biography, and just started super freakonomics and thinking fast and slow.
Let me know what you think of S Freakonomics.
I've read the original and liked it.
Lone Survivor is on my list.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I also like non-fiction and especially history.

I just started Wilson by A. Scott Berg, a biography of Woodrow Wilson. Like many, I knew next to nothing about Wilson, said to be the first modern president of the 20th century. I'm still pretty early in the book, but so far its a good read. The first chapter, instead of dealing with his childhood, took the reader directly to his trip to Europe one month after the end of the fighting in WWI, and the wildly enthusiastic greeting he received from both the French and the British. Its surprising to Americans because Wilson has been ignored, or worse, by American politics since that time.

Although I read this 2 years ago, I can't recommend it enough, Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent. We are somewhat familiar with how unsuccessful Prohibition was as it ended, but I knew nothing about how it came about in the first place. The individuals and the political alliances who made this happen are largely forgotten now. It should be required reading for anyone who wants to amend the US Constitution today.

I had great fun reading the story of how Prohibition was ignored (or worse), once it was put in place, even by the people who most strongly advocated it. The writer is great story teller. Reading this was the most fun I've have reading a book in years.

The book on Peter the Great sounds interesting.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Let me know what you think of S Freakonomics.
I've read the original and liked it.
Lone Survivor is on my list.
I'll be sure to, I liked the original as well. The little movie they made wasn't half bad either.

Lone Survivor was good and it really gives a glimpse into Navy Seal training and then what those guys went through. My best friend's Dad was a Navy Seal and I've always known that, but he was such a soft spoken, nice guy I never actually realized how bada$$ he was/is. It also provides a lot more detail than the movie (obviously) and that extra detail really helps add to the story IMHO, and makes what they did that much more ridiculous.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This may come as a real surprise to some of you but I have been reading on at least a grade five level for a while now. In an effort to not join the heathen hordes in hell fire, I stole this from Eddie's garage:

Understanding the Old Testament (5th Edition): Bernhard W. Anderson, Steven Bishop, Judith Newman: 9780130923806: Amazon.com: Books

Mine (well, it's mine now) is only the third edition but that should be enough to insure my place at the marsh mallow roasting that I plan to attend over the fiery coals of your sinnin' souls.

Carry on, heathens. :eek:

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
In The Garden Of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson.

Interesting POV of the rise of Nazi Germany from the inside through the eyes of the family of the American ambassador to Germany. Not as riveting as The Devil In The White City but still a worthy read. Some amazing parallels to current politics, dependent on your ideological bent of course.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Neil Gaiman: The Ocean At the End Of the Lane

I've only read the first chapter so far. I couldn't tell you what it's about yet, but I dig a lot of Neil Gaiman's stuff.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Finished Flash Boys by Michael Lewis a couple of days ago. If you always thought the stock market is rigged, this will confirm it for you. I'd say it's analogous to the moving "click me" button prank. He writes it like a mystery, with the characters peeling back a spoiled onion.

Like The Big Short, also by Lewis, understanding the people behind the story is as important as the story itself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis