P

philh

Full Audioholic
Long story, but about the same time I was going to demonstrate my system to a friend who thought his blows system was the best ever made, my front towers were acting up and my sub amp blew. Gave me the kick in the butt I needed to play around and research.

Decided to stay with my home built sub and just replace the amp. Went with a parts express 240 watt unit. Also replaced 15 ohm caps in each of the front towers. I had replaced both last spring, and discovered one speaker was acting up again. Took another look at my surround speakers and swapped the L & R speakers, not the signal, just the speakers. I have a poor setup with the speakers being in front of the listeners. Reviewed the manual again and decided the Infinity Quadpole speakers must direct more sound forward then rearward, so by swapping, used that design to my advantage. Also playing around with the front towers for grins decided to wire the woofer with voice coil in series instead of parallel. Receiver wasn't real happy with that change, as it frequently went into protection mode. One last thing I decided to play with was the DVD player setup, and discovered that even tho I had digital turned on, and a digital cable, it wasn't set up to trip the reciever into digital mode.

Bottom line, after it was done, it sounds unbelievable. In-Laws stopped by and I just happened to have Star Wars II in the DVD player. In the opening scene when the ship explodes, my MIL screamed :) Yep, I did good!

Still not happy with my towers, there's still something funny, even tho the replacement cap did help the sound, they still aren't right. Using my second fav mechanical engineers tool, discovered there's slight ohm difference between the two towers. Going to re-evaluate financials in January to see if I can free up enough cash to buy the Beta 50's I've fallen in love with. Maybe I can leave the system alone for awhile :)...Nah!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis