Welcome suggestions for a new DVD Player - $300 budget - HDMI output

J

jad

Enthusiast
Hi All,

I was curious to get some opinions and suggestions on single DVD Players which have HDMI output in the $300 dollar range. I appreciate any of your suggestions and contributions to the thread.

W

wsiler

Enthusiast
I love my Panasonic S97. I have a friend who loves his Samsung 950 (think?).
Oppo is well loved as well. Do you need or want upconversion? If you will not be upconverting there are other good options.

W

J

jad

Enthusiast
I don't think I'll need it for upconverting, since I already have a denon receiver that does this. The dvd player will be plugged directly into my tv, via hdmi.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I second the S97

I have the S97 and love it. I bought the original Samsung with DVI output and it was just OK. I hated the menus and setup. You have to plug in the composite video first and then activate the upconversion output. After that you then have to plug in the DVI. My dad has the model after that and it does the same thing. I think you can find the Pany S77 on Amazon for under $199. It's gotten some really good reviews as well. To me, the Oppo thing is overrated. I saw it in use at a trade show in a distributors booth and came away under-enthused. But that's just me.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I agree!!! go with either the panny s77 or s97, they are both great. I have the 77 and the picture quality is great, and the audio quality is top notch as well.

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
jad said:
I don't think I'll need it for upconverting, since I already have a denon receiver that does this. The dvd player will be plugged directly into my tv, via hdmi.
If the player will be connected directly to the TV then the Denon receiver will not be doing any upconversion.

What TV do you have? Do you know the quality of the scaler in it? Does it do a good job upconverting?

There have been rumors, but I have not seen any confirmations that the higher end receivers from Denon have their Faroudja chip in them. If it a lower receiver, you may be better off finding an upconverting DVD player with a good video chip.

-Lou

J

jad

Enthusiast
louhamilton said:
If the player will be connected directly to the TV then the Denon receiver will not be doing any upconversion.

What TV do you have? Do you know the quality of the scaler in it? Does it do a good job upconverting?

There have been rumors, but I have not seen any confirmations that the higher end receivers from Denon have their Faroudja chip in them. If it a lower receiver, you may be better off finding an upconverting DVD player with a good video chip.

-Lou
I'm currently using a 36 " Sony Wega HD, although that might change pretty soon.

If you're running a dvd player with HDMI directly to the tv, doesn't that handle the upconversion for your dvd's? My denon receiver only has component out, so everything else like the sattelite is going through component.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis