Weird Popping Sound From Sub

M

mazmaximus

Audiophyte
I have a relatively new Monitor Audio FB110 Powered Sub. I've connected it to my Denon AVR-2801 with a single Y-sub cable into it's Right and Left input. The problem is that almost everytime I play my system I get a loud popping sound from the sub. It doesn't seem to be based on what's playing cause I get it with TV, DVD and Stereo. Is this common with new speakers? Will this stop when I get them broken in? Any ideas? Thanks.

-M

cam

cam

Audioholic
mazmaximus said:
I have a relatively new Monitor Audio FB110 Powered Sub. I've connected it to my Denon AVR-2801 with a single Y-sub cable into it's Right and Left input. The problem is that almost everytime I play my system I get a loud popping sound from the sub. It doesn't seem to be based on what's playing cause I get it with TV, DVD and Stereo. Is this common with new speakers? Will this stop when I get them broken in? Any ideas? Thanks.

-M
A sub will pop when over driven, when a bass drum hits, instead of a low pound you will get a pop. I have never heard of a sub that would pop for no apparent reason. A brand new sub will pop at some bass notes until it loosens up but again this pop will only happen when driving a new sub near its limits. If you are playing at a moderate level and instead of bass you are getting popping then I would say that you may have a defective sub. One thing I would do is remove the grill, (if removable) and play it again, Maybe the woofer is making contact.

Last edited:
M

mazmaximus

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. I'm most definetly not play them to the max. Boy with my wife the way she is I can bearly get them even going. :) I'll try and remove the sceen and see if that works.

-M

U

Unregistered

This may sound like a dumb reply but...My Monitor sub has a sleep mode. When it gets a bass signal it wakes up and mine has a fairly loud click or pop. You might check to see if the pop coincides with the red led on the back, coming on. There may be a problem with this circuit. Normally mine only pops once.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis